Thanksgiving 2018

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 5, 2018 11:10 AM

What are your plans this year? Keeping with tradition or changing anything up?

We're sticking to tradition for the most part. I believe this is my 11th year doing the turkey, the past 10 all being cooked in the Charbroil Big Easy (oilless "deep fryer"). This year I'm changing it up and cooking the bird sous vide. We won't have the presentation of a whole turkey, as it has to be cut up before cooking, but it should make for a much tastier bird.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-better-way-to-turkey-cook-that-bird-sous-vide-for-the-best-feast-ever

Fab4Runner Tits McGee
6,997 posts 64 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 5, 2018 11:39 AM

We'll spend Thursday with my husband's family on his dad's side. Not sure what they plan to have. We've spent the last few with his mom's side. 

My family gets together on Friday. One roasted turkey and one deep fried. Lots of sides and way too many appetizers. No one is hungry by the time dinner rolls around. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 5, 2018 11:48 AM

Fried a turkey yesterday for Neighborsgiving, so I want to reuse the oil and fry one on Thanksgiving. My MIL is going to be pissed though because she swears by stuffing in the turkey and not separate. The skin and moisture on the fried turkey was so much better though, imo.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Mon, Nov 5, 2018 12:54 PM

Will likely fry a turkey and stay home with the family

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 5, 2018 1:06 PM

My family will do what we always do. I always do the desserts but this year I'm doing the turkey also. Several people have already asked me to do a leg of lamb but I just might wait till Christmas to do that. Just doesn't seem very Thanksgivingish to me.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Nov 5, 2018 1:43 PM
posted by justincredible

What are your plans this year? Keeping with tradition or changing anything up?

We're sticking to tradition for the most part. I believe this is my 11th year doing the turkey, the past 10 all being cooked in the Charbroil Big Easy (oilless "deep fryer"). This year I'm changing it up and cooking the bird sous vide. We won't have the presentation of a whole turkey, as it has to be cut up before cooking, but it should make for a much tastier bird.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-better-way-to-turkey-cook-that-bird-sous-vide-for-the-best-feast-ever

Good call.  I need to do this. I love my sous vide.

24,621 posts 244 reps Joined May 2010
Mon, Nov 5, 2018 2:30 PM

I come home to Ohio every year for Thanksgiving, and is usually the only time I come to Ohio. Will be doing the usual, traditional thanksgiving with the family and see a movie. Not sure what movie we'll see but I'm usually in charge of pie and beer.

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 5, 2018 2:41 PM

No Ohio for me for the 2nd year in a row. I'm kinda sad about it, but I'll be going for Xmas.

I may attempt a turkey for the first time, but I'm still debating. I don't even really like turkey, just want to try it for the hell of it. I will 100% be making a pumpkin pie though. I didn't have one last year and was not happy.

cat_lover Senior Member
3,629 posts 44 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 5, 2018 8:34 PM

Traditional Turkey Dinner with all the usual dishes then on Friday we all go to the lighting of the Licking County Courthouse.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 5, 2018 9:33 PM

We go to Dads (across town) my wife willmake about 1/3 of the meal. Be about 25 there

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 5, 2018 9:48 PM

Always go back to Ohio for thanksgiving. My favorite holiday of the year. 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 5, 2018 10:27 PM
posted by cat_lover

Traditional Turkey Dinner with all the usual dishes then on Friday we all go to the lighting of the Licking County Courthouse.

Used to go to the courthouse lighting every year growing up. Love driving by the courthouse when I'm in town for Christmas. 

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Nov 6, 2018 11:07 AM

I’ll be in New Orleans. Sucks. 

But finally get a Christmas at home for the first time in 4 years (travel one Christmas Eve). Pretty stoked to have first Christmas as our new place in Chicago.

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Nov 20, 2018 4:59 PM

I'm ready to get fat and drunk.

Zunardo Senior Member
815 posts 15 reps Joined Nov 2010
Tue, Nov 20, 2018 5:09 PM

Mrs. Zunardo and I are still trying to get used to both of our sons being out of the house.  One of them is leaving today to work a soccer tournament in Orlando thru Sunday, but the other one will still be in town and will come over Thursday.  It'll be good to have him there with us at the table.  Going to savor these moments.  

For some reason, I'm hearing Perry Como in my head singing "Magic Moments" and "No Place Like Home For The Holidays" at the same time.

Belly35 Elderly Intellectual
10,015 posts 56 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Nov 20, 2018 5:56 PM

On Thursdays the Belly Family of 11 to 15 depending on who coming from Chicago and if we invite a friend .. we have for the past three years it is a tradition now.  King Crab  12-14 pounds, cheese biscuits and a small salad and lots of wine/beer. 

Friday:  I prepare the other traditional 25 pound baked turkey, stuffing, mash potatoes, salad, green beam casserole, biscuits, gravy, cranberry sauce, pumpkin, pecan pies, pickles/olives tray. The family shows up again more wine/beer and Irish coffee  

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Nov 20, 2018 6:15 PM

I just got done making my noodles. Tomorrow I prep the turkey and will bake 1 cake and 2 pies. Already have the pumpkin roll made and frozen so I just have to pull it and let it thaw. Besides being the host, that's all I have to do since I'm making the leg of lamb for Christmas along with the ham. Everybody else is bringing a dish with them. 

Iliketurtles Senior Member
8,507 posts 37 reps Joined Aug 2010
Tue, Nov 20, 2018 6:46 PM

For the 2nd year in a row my wife and I will be going to Texas de Brazil for Thanksgiving. Due to work we can't travel back to Ohio.. It sucks as I love a good traditional Thanksgiving  meal. 

OSH Kosh B'Gosh
4,424 posts 18 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Nov 20, 2018 10:53 PM

The only tradition we do is alternate Thanksgiving/Christmas with our families -- this year we are doing Thanksgiving with my wife's and Christmas with mine. My wife's family has never done a big Thanksgiving since they've always been away from their extended families for 30+ years (in-laws come from Nebraska, wife was raised in Kentucky).

So, we are hosting this year as it is the first year in our house. In-laws will be here for it. I'll be deep frying the bird, as I've done several times before. Wife does all the sides: mash, green bean casserole, corn (anyway it comes, that's my fave), stuffing, and gravy. I typically do something fun with the fryer too, and it usually involves some sort of egg roll. But, I'm lost at what to do with it for various reasons. I have done a mac and cheese egg roll, and it was phenomenal. But, I have no idea what to do this year.

Will be putting the turkey in a 24-hour brine starting at noon on Wednesday. Doing a beer brine for the first time, decided on a blueberry maple stout as the flavoring for the brine.

GOONx19 An exceptional poster.
7,413 posts 94 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Nov 21, 2018 6:24 AM

Thanksgiving is my holiday at work this year, so my wife and I will be spending it alone together in the morning before I head in at 2. We got a chicken and will prepare all the traditional sides. She’ll probably put the tree up while I’m at work. 

vball10set paying it forward
26,788 posts 121 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Nov 21, 2018 11:31 AM

Here in Toledo with local family for Thanksgiving, then heading to Cbus on Friday for the weekend with our kids/grandkids...and like S&L, my favorite holiday. Period.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login