2020 Presidential Election thread

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 10, 2021 8:46 PM
posted by geeblock

Maybe you should watch more footage. Check out the 5:00 minute mark

I've already seen it.  Doesn't refute anything I said - it was a mostly disorganized, unarmed mob. They weren't going to "take" or "keep" anything, much less Trump in office.

Trump sucks at insurrection just like he sucks at being a racist.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Wed, Feb 10, 2021 8:54 PM
posted by gut

I've already seen it.  Doesn't refute anything I said - it was a mostly disorganized, unarmed mob. They weren't going to "take" or "keep" anything, much less Trump in office.

Trump sucks at insurrection just like he sucks at being a racist.

Way more than200 people 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 10:05 AM
posted by gut

97% of the protestors were peaceful.

More like 99.8%, or more. 

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 10:16 AM
posted by gut
I figured as much

LOL!  Thanks

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 11:13 AM
posted by majorspark

By the same technicality Trump no longer holds civil office and the Senate has lost its authority to conduct a trial.  Just like the Chief Justice will not preside over a trial of someone who no longer holds the office of the Presidency.

Say the Senate holds the authority to conduct an impeachment trial of someone who no longer holds civil office.  If that office is the Presidency how does the Chief Justice not fulfill his obligation to preside over it?  This is not some circuit court judge.

Instead what you have is a circus where a rabid partisan juror presides over a show trial.  The office of the President and the impeachment process itself have suffered likely irreparable harm.  Its 3rd world shit.

My question to you then, what mechanisms are there to punish a President in their last moments of office? If a President commits an impeachment offense on 1/19 does it not matter then? 

Let's say for example, that on January 19, 2017 it was found Obama did in fact spy on Trump and there was evidence. Would it not be within the rights of Congress to start the impeachment proceedings even if they bleed into the Trump Presidency? 

If the Presidency does go from 1/20 to 1/20, then the actions of those times should also be subject to oversight and impeachment of the Congress, within reason. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 11:36 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

My question to you then, what mechanisms are there to punish a President in their last moments of office? If a President commits an impeachment offense on 1/19 does it not matter then? 

Let's say for example, that on January 19, 2017 it was found Obama did in fact spy on Trump and there was evidence. Would it not be within the rights of Congress to start the impeachment proceedings even if they bleed into the Trump Presidency? 

If the Presidency does go from 1/20 to 1/20, then the actions of those times should also be subject to oversight and impeachment of the Congress, within reason. 

Let me keep this simple for you for multiple reasons.  If you commit an impeachable offense right before leaving office, the act of leaving office accomplishes what an impeachment does.

As for a President violating a law, we have courts for that.  If Trump broke the law and is now out of office, go arrest him.  He might actually get due process then.  

geeblock Member
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 1:29 PM
posted by QuakerOats

More like 99.8%, or more. 

They crushed a cop to death lol 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 2:21 PM

All it took was a bunch of idiots to raid the capitol for gblock to start caring for cops.  Pretty remarkable. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 2:37 PM
posted by like_that

All it took was a bunch of idiots to raid the capitol for gblock to start caring for cops.  Pretty remarkable. 

And for Quaker to suddenly think protesters are great guys and there really wasn't anything bad going on.

geeblock Member
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 3:16 PM
posted by like_that

Lol someone has to talk about it. We have 250 pages on blm and 3 sentences on this situation. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 3:42 PM
posted by geeblock

Lol someone has to talk about it. We have 250 pages on blm and 3 sentences on this situation. 

Probably because it happened once, everyone denounced it, they are getting arrested for it, and the current VP and celebrities didn't donate to their bail funds. But go off and continue to embellish that it was an attempt at government overthrow and the amount of cops that died.

geeblock Member
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 3:48 PM
posted by iclfan2

Probably because it happened once, everyone denounced it, they are getting arrested for it, and the current VP and celebrities didn't donate to their bail funds. But go off and continue to embellish that it was an attempt at government overthrow and the amount of cops that died.

Lol it just shows that people don’t really care about cops in the first place. They just use it to bash blm. People really don’t have a problem with rioting as long as they can understand the reason for it 

It was the first time because it was the first time they haven’t gotten their way since they lynched and killed black people for trying to eat at lunch counters or go to a good school. They are literally rioting because their candidate didn’t win an election.  I guess they didn’t put their head down and go to work like you predicted 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 5:49 PM
posted by geeblock

They crushed a cop to death lol 

I was just doing simple math.  If you have 150,000 people at a rally, and about 5% of them go from the rally to the Capitol, and 97% of the 5% stand around taking selfies, you are left with about 200 who were engaged in bad behavior, unlawful entry and vandalism.  They should, and will be, prosecuted.  It was a one-off moment for a  few people who went  overboard.   And none of them is being bailed out by K Harris.

Fri, Feb 12, 2021 2:59 AM
posted by Heretic

And for Quaker to suddenly think protesters are great guys and there really wasn't anything bad going on.

Lol this is true too.  Most of us are ironically chiming in about "97% peaceful," meanwhile QO is taking it seriously. 

Fri, Feb 12, 2021 3:01 AM
posted by geeblock

Congrats.  You're in the early running for cop apologist of 2021.  

What a turnaround. 

geeblock Member
Fri, Feb 12, 2021 6:32 AM
posted by like_that

Congrats.  You're in the early running for cop apologist of 2021.  

What a turnaround. 

It’s nice to know u still have no real opinions 

Fri, Feb 12, 2021 9:14 AM
posted by geeblock

It’s nice to know u still have no real opinions 

Ahh, I see you're taking the role of being ptown's little pet parrot.  Good for you. 

geeblock Member
Fri, Feb 12, 2021 9:28 AM
posted by like_that

Ahh, I see you're taking the role of being ptown's little pet parrot.  Good for you. 

Ahh another hot take! 

Fri, Feb 12, 2021 9:31 AM
posted by geeblock

Ahh another hot take! 

Ok, let's be real then.  Do you believe both BLM riots and the riot (whatever you want classify it as) at the capitol should be condemned?  

Edit: The riot by Trump supporters, since I know you will want that detail in there. 

geeblock Member
Fri, Feb 12, 2021 9:54 AM
posted by like_that

Ok, let's be real then.  Do you believe both BLM riots and the riot (whatever you want classify it as) at the capitol should be condemned?  

Edit: The riot by Trump supporters, since I know you will want that detail in there. 

I condemned all rioting 500 times. It’s irrelevant tho imo  . Do we have to rehash those convos for the 50th time in order to discuss the capitol riots? Why does it always have to be “whatabout” if we discuss anything dealing with the right? 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login