2020 Presidential Election thread

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Sun, Jan 27, 2019 7:21 PM

Well after watching the 60 minutes story on the Starbucks owner running as an independent.....and Trump getting owned by Pelosi this week,  time to start chatting about 2020

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 27, 2019 7:39 PM

I think he's liable to take more votes from Dems and actually help Trump get re-elected (whom I'm still not sure is a guarantee to run for a second term).

Spock Senior Member
Sun, Jan 27, 2019 7:56 PM

My prediction is that Trump gets primaried and loses.  

It would be cool if he walked away and gave room for Niki Haley

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 27, 2019 8:05 PM

The Dems are gonna eat themselves. Biden, Bernie, Kamala, possibly Hillary. I think Trump might get primaried but not by Haley. I think she waits until 2024 to come out (and hope so, don’t fuck with the Trump election). I do think Trump loses though, if the left runs a normal person.

BoatShoes Senior Member
5,991 posts 23 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 27, 2019 8:10 PM

If Schultz runs it is the greatest gift to Trump he could hope for. Also nevermind that the Trump Presidency has completely blown out his theory that the supply of treasuries (aka national debt) is the greatest threat to the United States. 

gut Senior Member
Sun, Jan 27, 2019 8:46 PM
posted by iclfan2

The Dems are gonna eat themselves. Biden, Bernie, Kamala, possibly Hillary. I think Trump might get primaried but not by Haley. I think she waits until 2024 to come out (and hope so, don’t fuck with the Trump election). I do think Trump loses though, if the left runs a normal person.

That's a scary field when Hillary might be the most reasonable/best of the bunch.  Look at the current sad state of affairs - Biden for years was a national joke, in Dan Quail territory.....now most of America is hoping he runs.

Also, I'm seeing where the RNC is allegedly planning to cancel the primary...but thinking that may be fake news.  In any event, would Trump really get primaried if he has 80%+ approval with Repubs?  We know Trump beats a crowded field.  But then who could win 50% from him head-to-head?

I don't think Trump will get primaried.  But I'm not at all convinced he's going to run for re-election.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sun, Jan 27, 2019 8:47 PM

I can see Kasich either trying to primary Trump or running as an independent. 

gut Senior Member
Sun, Jan 27, 2019 9:18 PM
posted by like_that

I can see Kasich either trying to primary Trump or running as an independent. 

He's said he won't run unless he thinks he can win, so that at least rules out him running as an independent.

I've seen the idea of a Kasich or Romney or someone else running as an independent to take away key votes from Trump....but that seems like a liberal fantasy.  On name alone, they could take that key 1-2% without even trying/campaigning, but I don't see it happening.

The drum Dems should/will pound is if Trump gets to replace RGB then abortion becomes illegal again.  Not true, obviously, but it will be enough to scare women to go to the polls for Dems.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 27, 2019 10:43 PM
posted by gut

The drum Dems should/will pound is if Trump gets to replace RGB then abortion becomes illegal again.  Not true, obviously, but it will be enough to scare women to go to the polls for Dems.

If anything, I think a Supreme Court seat helps conservatives coming out to vote. Trump sucks, but a conservative seat is a win. The left is already crazy about abortion so I don’t see how it would influence more people to get out to vote. 

gut Senior Member
Sun, Jan 27, 2019 10:57 PM
posted by iclfan2

If anything, I think a Supreme Court seat helps conservatives coming out to vote. Trump sucks, but a conservative seat is a win. The left is already crazy about abortion so I don’t see how it would influence more people to get out to vote. 

That's a very good point.  I have a feeling we'll get to see how that plays out.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 28, 2019 6:49 AM

Bernie won't win anything. He has shown himself to be a weak person (when he was threatened and had one of his rallies taken over by BLM) and that turned a lot of his supporters away. I think if anybody has a good chance to win the dem side it would be Tulsi Gabbard. I admit to liking one or two of her positions but she's just too far goofy-left for me at the end of the day. As for the republicans - Haley has much Twitter support but other than that she's not making much noise at all. 

When the '20 election is over we're all still going to be fucked because, collectively, we're not smart enough to put up good people anymore.

Spock Senior Member
Mon, Jan 28, 2019 6:49 AM

States like New York whp pass laws allowing late term abortions should scare the shit out of mosst of America

Mon, Jan 28, 2019 8:30 AM
posted by iclfan2

Yeah, if there is one thing that makes conservatives band together, it is a SCOTUS seat.  The people who held their nose to vote for trump for this specific reason have been vindicated.  If Trump ends up appointing a third judge in one term, that would be crazy.  Say what you want about Trump, but i'd take 3 new conservative judges over Hillary appointing them.

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 28, 2019 9:27 AM
posted by Spock

States like New York whp pass laws allowing late term abortions should scare the shit out of mosst of America

A NY woman getting an abortion scares the shit out of you? 

Spock Senior Member
Mon, Jan 28, 2019 11:06 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

Yea......are well going to ignore that somewhere in the US a women can abort and kill a viable life form at 30+ weeks just because?

Mon, Jan 28, 2019 11:30 AM
posted by Spock

Yea......are well going to ignore that somewhere in the US a women can abort and kill a viable life form at 30+ weeks just because?

It doesn’t effect you, so why do you care?

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 28, 2019 11:33 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

It doesn’t effect you, so why do you care?

The Parkland shooting didn't effect you, did you care?  

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 28, 2019 11:47 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

One minute before delivery, or after delivery if the initial murder attempt failed ……all the while the NY assembly stood and cheered.   This is not a mental illness; this is evil.

Mon, Jan 28, 2019 11:55 AM
posted by superman

The Parkland shooting didn't effect you, did you care?  

Bit of an extreme comparison don’t you think?

Mon, Jan 28, 2019 4:49 PM

I think the people of NY and the other progressive states are scared shitless too considering NY, Illinois, California, and NJ have the % of people moving out of their states.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Jan 28, 2019 5:14 PM
posted by like_that

I think the people of NY and the other progressive states are scared shitless too considering NY, Illinois, California, and NJ have the % of people moving out of their states.

I wonder if Dems get control in 2020 if they'll remove the cap on deducting state & local taxes.  I guess when you consider that's probably costing most in Congress at least a few thousand bucks they WILL get rid of it.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login