posted by ptown_trojans_1
It was fine. I had two small squabbles.
1. If revealing the true parents of Jon is that important Bran, don't you think it would be he first thing you mention to him? Instead, he waits and then it is just Sam that delivers it, not the both of them.
2. The dragon riding scene should have been a way bigger deal. It felt odd.
The Bran part made me think a lot more about the fan theory of Bran being the Night King, as if so, he pure Littlefinger'd the fuck out of the situation (we're talking early series super-effective Littlefinger; not the impotently flailing Scooby Doo villain of S7).
1. Bran pretty much sees all, knows all.
2. Bran has Sam do all the talking re: Jon's parentage.
3. He picks the moment when Sam is emotionally shattered by finding out his dad and brother (who he seemed to even get along with in their small scene together a couple seasons ago) were executed by Dany for not swearing fealty to her. Therefore, Sam openly blurts that out to Jon, including a "she never told you that?" question.
So, in context with how the major theme of the show was the North's reluctance to accept Dany as their queen, since they chose him to be their king....
1. Jon now has been told that Dany has a little Mad King in her personality, as well as in her blood. With this news being the sort of thing that would really fracture an uneasy alliance if, say, Sansa would hear about this, considering she already doesn't like/trust Dany.
2. And Dany has a plausible deniability factor of "Sam was pissed at me, so he made up a story out of spite" to give her reason to dig in her heels with the "I'm the queen, I have the big fire-spewing dragons and THAT'S THAT!!!" talk that's basically carried her for a few seasons.
Then when you add in the fact that the only southern army that anyone is getting is one one-handed dude (making Tyrion look really bad as a Hand) and next week has the potential to be tense as fuck, regardless of whether I wind up looking as stupid as I did this week with my proposed kill count. Hell, have someone bring tidings of how Gendry is really a Baratheon and...well, that might actually be a defusing point, as I can see that played for comic relief with him wondering why everyone is staring at him and then freaking out.
In a funny note, I got a good laugh out of Jon in that scene.
Jon: Completely freaked out by hearing...he's actually a legit king and not a bastard. Does not even compute this news means he's also fucking his aunt.