Covid-19 discussion, continued...

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 10, 2020 4:57 PM
posted by jmog

Should be, but not always true. 

Not always but usually is. Therefore, if older science says "no" and newer science says "yes", yes is more likely to be correct.

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 10, 2020 7:29 PM
posted by jmog

You do realize both are viruses, both are similar viruses, and both are transmitted the same way right?

It’s not like I posted a study on the transmission of the flu virus and said masks might not work for bacterial transmission/infection.

Flu and COVID are, for the most part, transmitted the same way. So the study was relevant.

They are different viruses. If they were the same virus the top medical people in the world would not have struggled with it so much over the past year.

Your logic is like saying an apple is a fruit, and an orange is a fruit, so an apple is similar to an orange.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 10, 2020 8:09 PM
posted by Al Bundy

They are different viruses. If they were the same virus the top medical people in the world would not have struggled with it so much over the past year.

Your logic is like saying an apple is a fruit, and an orange is a fruit, so an apple is similar to an orange.

They are the same size and are transmitted in the same way. So normal logic tells us that masks either work for both the flu and covid or neither or somewhere in between.

Not that hard to figure out.

jmog Senior Member
Thu, Dec 10, 2020 8:10 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Not always but usually is. Therefore, if older science says "no" and newer science says "yes", yes is more likely to be correct.

It was a statistical study not astrophysics, statistics haven’t changed in 2 years, I promise.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 10, 2020 8:27 PM
posted by jmog

It was a statistical study not astrophysics, statistics haven’t changed in 2 years, I promise.

The one I'm referring to was not, dipshit. It was a purely scientific study that indicated that the prior science was incorrect.

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Fri, Dec 11, 2020 8:52 AM
posted by Spock

Flu season isnt even here yet.

Do you even know why we have a flu season?  The temps and air quality arent there yet for flu.  Too warm and wet in most of the country.

Weird, why is this government agency reporting 20,000 in 2019 and only 39 for 2020 for the same period of time on the calendar?

https://www.kusi.com/dr-wooten-urges-san-diegans-to-get-flu-vaccine-during-covid-19-pandemic/  

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Fri, Dec 11, 2020 9:23 AM
posted by Verbal Kint

Weird, why is this government agency reporting 20,000 in 2019 and only 39 for 2020 for the same period of time on the calendar?

https://www.kusi.com/dr-wooten-urges-san-diegans-to-get-flu-vaccine-during-covid-19-pandemic/  

Thank you for making my point........its not here yet

jmog Senior Member
Fri, Dec 11, 2020 9:24 AM
posted by queencitybuckeye

The one I'm referring to was not, dipshit. It was a purely scientific study that indicated that the prior science was incorrect.

Am I missing your post where you linked a study to read?

Also, ad hominem usually means you are losing the logical/reason argument, just FYI.

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Fri, Dec 11, 2020 9:59 AM
posted by Spock

Thank you for making my point........its not here yet

"for the same period of time on the calendar"

The flu is just running late this year?
Spock Senior Member
gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 12, 2020 4:30 PM

They really can't get the vaccines out fast enough.  Already a couple of days now with over 3000 deaths, and the case count doesn't seem to be leveling off.

Interesting is there doesn't really look like there was a Thanksgiving spike, just continuing along the rising trend.

I feel like it may just get worse and worse thru the New Year.  People are indoors, and they're not giving up these holidays with families and friends.

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 12, 2020 5:20 PM

People definitely won't give up Christmas.

Spock Senior Member
Sat, Dec 12, 2020 5:32 PM

People need to supplement Vit D in their diet.  

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 12, 2020 6:20 PM
posted by gut

They really can't get the vaccines out fast enough.  Already a couple of days now with over 3000 deaths, and the case count doesn't seem to be leveling off.

Interesting is there doesn't really look like there was a Thanksgiving spike, just continuing along the rising trend.

I feel like it may just get worse and worse thru the New Year.  People are indoors, and they're not giving up these holidays with families and friends.

Good thing the FDA took thanksgiving weekend off. They wasted valuable time. 

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 12, 2020 7:26 PM
posted by gut

I read one article saying 3k plus daily deaths for the next 60-90 days should be expected. 

I also had a family friend call and let us k ow he had Covid and had recovered. He’s 82 with COPD and had a quadruple bypass about 2 years ago. I was surprised to learn he had recovered he’s someone I thought if they got it he would be a goner.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 12, 2020 7:48 PM
posted by sportchampps

I read one article saying 3k plus daily deaths for the next 60-90 days should be expected.

At current case levels, that makes sense and I wouldn't expect case counts to being to come down until at least mid-January.

But I think the mortality numbers will fall dramatically once they start vaccinating the most vulnerable, beginning next week.  My guess is 3000+ per day is <500 by middle of January.

Covid is not and never has been a "death sentence".  The absolutely most vulnerable early in the pandemic, before we knew how to treat it and without any therapeutics, probably had a mortality @10%.

330k dead is a huge number, but that's a little less than 1/10th of 1% of the population.  And the other thing is, maybe early on we lost a lot of people that might survive today, which made the "expected years lost" much higher.  A lot of people we're losing now could very well be people who would die from any number of causes within a few years.

The big question to be decided is how long before we return to normal?  Because the more austere and draconian leaders seem to be signaling 6-9 months or longer...while I'm thinking 100M vaccinated by the end of February is basically pandemic over in the US.  A lot of people could still get it at that point, but their mortality rate would be virtually 0.

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 12, 2020 9:58 PM
posted by gut

At current case levels, that makes sense and I wouldn't expect case counts to being to come down until at least mid-January.

But I think the mortality numbers will fall dramatically once they start vaccinating the most vulnerable, beginning next week.  My guess is 3000+ per day is <500 by middle of January.

Covid is not and never has been a "death sentence".  The absolutely most vulnerable early in the pandemic, before we knew how to treat it and without any therapeutics, probably had a mortality @10%.

330k dead is a huge number, but that's a little less than 1/10th of 1% of the population.  And the other thing is, maybe early on we lost a lot of people that might survive today, which made the "expected years lost" much higher.  A lot of people we're losing now could very well be people who would die from any number of causes within a few years.

The big question to be decided is how long before we return to normal?  Because the more austere and draconian leaders seem to be signaling 6-9 months or longer...while I'm thinking 100M vaccinated by the end of February is basically pandemic over in the US.  A lot of people could still get it at that point, but their mortality rate would be virtually 0.

Part of the problem is that we don't know the long term effects. Just because someone doesn't die doesn't mean that they won't be suffering effects from it for the rest of their lives. 

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 14, 2020 11:59 AM

Gardens35 Senior Member
5,888 posts 39 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 14, 2020 12:46 PM

400,000 doses in Ohio within the next two weeks or so. Good start, in my mind that covers a whole bunch of people that could potentially spread.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login