Covid-19 discussion, continued...

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Dec 7, 2020 2:07 PM
posted by Automatik

I'd make a poll but I'm just lazy. 

Had this convo with some friends over the weekend.  

How long do you think we'll be wearing masks for? Not including dumbfuck no mandate states.

I'm going with now through the summer. Come fall things become "more normal." Thots?

Depends where, but I say a lot of places will still have it thru all of 2021. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 7, 2020 2:19 PM
posted by like_that

Depends where, but I say a lot of places will still have it thru all of 2021. 

I think as the numbers start to get pretty low people will have 0 tolerance for lockdowns and mask mandates.  There's little to no enforcement, making the "mandates" mostly voluntary. 

So I kind of feel like people will just start ignoring any guidelines or restrictions once they're comfortable it's no longer really a threat.  People will be like "WTF?!? there's 20 cases in my county and I got the vaccine - why do I need to wear a mask?"

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 7, 2020 3:33 PM

I’ve been wondering how we’ll transition to it being okay and safe to not wear masks anymore. Once you’ve been vaccinated and/or already it then you’re about as low risk to yourself and others as can be right? 

gut Senior Member
Mon, Dec 7, 2020 3:55 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Once you’ve been vaccinated and/or already it then you’re about as low risk to yourself and others as can be right? 

How are you going to prove you were vaccinated?  I've seen "vaccination passports" thrown around fairly often, but I haven't seen any plan on how that would work.

To answer your question, the two vaccines are 95% effective...and there were no severe cases or hospitalizations, so you're probably good there.  Astrazeneca may only be 70% effective, and we need to see the rest of their data on severity.

So if I was at risk, I would probably ONLY take the vaccine from Pfizer or Moderna, and then I'd be comfortable without a mask.  We should have at least 50M vaccines from each of them, so everyone at risk should be able to get those.

Mon, Dec 7, 2020 4:12 PM
posted by gut

How are you going to prove you were vaccinated?  I've seen "vaccination passports" thrown around fairly often, but I haven't seen any plan on how that would work.

That’s the question. I don’t know if you can other than the passport and you know no one is gonna carry that damn thing around. They might if it gets them onto a cruise or concert, etc. 

At some point it’ll have to become acceptable again to not wear masks everywhere. If I’ve got the vaccine then I’m pretty well protected and don’t give a shit who else did or didn’t. 

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 7, 2020 5:07 PM

I'm sure this has been answered on these pages... by why only a vaccine to prevent it?  Are there no medicines out there that can help with the symptoms?  Someone put it out as if you're talking to CC.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Mon, Dec 7, 2020 6:00 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

I'm sure this has been answered on these pages... by why only a vaccine to prevent it?  Are there no medicines out there that can help with the symptoms?  Someone put it out as if you're talking to CC.

The death rate going forward will be almost zero as we vaccinated the at risk people and the theraputics are not politicized anymore and Dr.s are using all resources equally.

Spock Senior Member
Spock Senior Member
Mon, Dec 7, 2020 6:09 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/03/opinion/covid-19-vaccine-timeline.html

I am in the top 23 million nationwide

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 7, 2020 6:55 PM

I have traveled for work all through the pandemic (for reference). 

Been all over Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania, upstate New York, etc. 

I have had a piece of paper in my wallet since late February or early March that said I was an essential employee and was traveling for essential work for even when I was traveling during shut downs. 

Never, and I mean never, has anyone asked to see it...

Until today...

I flew to Maine, got to my hotel, the desk has to ask everyone from out of state other than Massachusetts and New Hampshire, if they are traveling for essential business. 

When I said yes, she asked to see my paperwork and had to scan it into their system for their state CDC guidelines. 

My paper had sat in my wallet and never been used for 9 months, it was so worn/almost torn from just sitting in a wallet for so long that I apologized and told her I could email her a pdf of it once I got to my room. 

Just weird and somewhat alarming. 

Don’t think people won’t want proof of a vaccine for certain things in the future. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 7, 2020 6:57 PM
posted by Spock

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/03/opinion/covid-19-vaccine-timeline.html

I am in the top 23 million nationwide

Apparently I am nearly last in line...

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 7, 2020 7:16 PM
posted by jmog

Apparently I am nearly last in line...

Yea mine was 254M. Doesn’t seem accurate. I’m “technically” essential too. 

Mon, Dec 7, 2020 7:33 PM

Mine just says I’m behind very few. If the line were 100 people long, I’d be #4. 

Sounds like U.K. going to start vaccinating tomorrow? So they’ll have probably a 10-14 day headstart on us? It’ll be interesting to see how their numbers are affected. 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 7, 2020 8:45 PM

June 1st

gut Senior Member
Mon, Dec 7, 2020 8:59 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

Are there no medicines out there that can help with the symptoms?  Someone put it out as if you're talking to CC.

Remdesevir was promising, but some new research questions whether it helps.  The latest hope are a few recently released gene therapies(?), like Regeneron.

They're better at treating it.  Actual mortality rate is probably close to 0.2% now.  But more like 0% mortality for most people, and like 5% mortality if you have multiple comorbidities.

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 8, 2020 12:07 PM

I was exposed. I was only around him a short time on Friday and then was around people who worked with him today before we found out he was positive. Will be staying away from everyone for the next week probably

Spock Senior Member
Tue, Dec 8, 2020 1:14 PM

Wife and I were at church Sunday, pastor sending message today he was positive

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 8, 2020 1:50 PM
posted by gut

The guys in college who were good at making fake ID's/licenses could be looking at a bonanza.
Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Tue, Dec 8, 2020 2:39 PM

The present species of humankind has the worst metabolic health in history since Lucy the hominid first ate a piece of protein and evolved from the chimps, so keep eating your shit diet of fast food and consuming your diet sodas, and wonder why this virus will do harm worse than the previous viruses 

This society is sad, enforcing tyranny on those who actually care for themselves

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login