Covid-19 discussion, continued...

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Nov 2, 2020 2:36 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

Why make stupid laws that 1) you can't enforce 2) you look completely terrible for suggesting and/or trying to enforce 3) people will refuse to follow.

Dog and pony show.

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 2, 2020 2:57 PM

What does it matter if it’s over 2 hours once you are there

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Mon, Nov 2, 2020 6:57 PM
posted by QuakerOats

new mandatory california guidelines masks thanksgiving halloween

What.  The.  Fuvk.  Ever.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 9:28 AM

Great news about a vaccine. SHOCKED at the timing of it.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 9:57 AM
posted by iclfan2

You'd think since Trump was the best president ever and strongest economically they'd have been chomping at the bit to get it out before the election? Strange. 

Spock Senior Member
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 10:48 AM
posted by kizer permanente

You'd think since Trump was the best president ever and strongest economically they'd have been chomping at the bit to get it out before the election? Strange. 

Or the vaccine maker was playing politics with it and its been ready for months and they waited.  

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 10:55 AM

or they were too busy to worry about the election and today is the day the product was ready for the announcement.

Not everyone is a partisan hack.

Devils Advocate Brudda o da bomber
4,899 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 11:45 AM

I am amazed that the COVID didn’t disappear right after the election

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 11:48 AM
posted by Spock

Or the vaccine maker was playing politics with it and its been ready for months and they waited.  

Okay Alex Jones. 

Spock Senior Member
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 1:28 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Okay Alex Jones. 

He is right way more then CNN is

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 1:59 PM
posted by iclfan2

LMAO.  I'm guessing the folks at Pfizer were a little more concerned with SEC laws and actually confirming their research.  I'm also not sure how a vaccine we've all known for months was coming would have moved the needle in any meaningful way.

Anyway, 90% effective is great news.  Hopefully some other candidates are even more effective.  Fingers crossed that one of the single dose candidates is the silver bullet.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 2:00 PM
posted by Spock

Quoted: A moron.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 2:03 PM

But here's the big question: Pfizer wasn't part of Operation Warp Speed and didn't take a dime in federal money.  So I have no idea who they're going to sell those doses to.  They claim they'll be able to immunize 15-20M people by the end of the year.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 2:06 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

or they were too busy to worry about the election and today is the day the product was ready for the announcement.

Not everyone is a partisan hack.

The amount of money involved...the ENTIRE MARKET rallied 5% on this news.  You go to jail when you make news like this without having all your ducks in a row.

Big deal to be first.  It IS a race, especially for someone like Pfizer that didn't have a govt partnership in this.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 2:15 PM
posted by gut

But here's the big question: Pfizer wasn't part of Operation Warp Speed and didn't take a dime in federal money.  So I have no idea who they're going to sell those doses to.  They claim they'll be able to immunize 15-20M people by the end of the year.

"WASHINGTON — As nations around the world race to lock up coronavirus vaccines even before they are ready, the Trump administration on Wednesday made one of the largest investments yet, announcing a nearly $2 billion contract with Pfizer and a German biotechnology company for 100 million doses by December.

The contract is part of what the White House calls the Warp Speed project, an effort to drastically shorten the time it would take to manufacture and distribute a working vaccine."

gut Senior Member
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 2:24 PM
posted by iclfan2

"WASHINGTON — As nations around the world race to lock up coronavirus vaccines even before they are ready, the Trump administration on Wednesday made one of the largest investments yet, announcing a nearly $2 billion contract with Pfizer and a German biotechnology company for 100 million doses by December.

The contract is part of what the White House calls the Warp Speed project

Well, that's fascinating.  I assumed they were part of Warp Speed, but then I read this.  This quote is from an SVP and head of vaccine research at Pfizer (i.e. the proverbial "horses mouth"):

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pfizers-early-data-shows-vaccine-is-more-than-90percent-effective/ar-BB1aPHMB?OCID=ansmsnnews11

"Operation Warp Speed, the federal effort to rush a vaccine to market, has promised Pfizer $1.95 billion to deliver 100 million doses to the federal government, which will be given to Americans free of charge. But Dr. Jansen sought to distance the company from Operation Warp Speed and presidential politics, noting that the company — unlike the other vaccine front-runners — did not take any federal money to help pay for research and development.

“We were never part of the Warp Speed,” she said. “We have never taken any money from the U.S. government, or from anyone.”

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 2:27 PM

Pfizer didn’t take anything to develop it. But they signed a nearly $2B contract to sell to government when it was ready. I haven’t seen if they get that sale even if they aren’t first?

gut Senior Member
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 2:32 PM
posted by Laley23

Pfizer didn’t take anything to develop it. But they signed a nearly $2B contract to sell to government when it was ready. I haven’t seen if they get that sale even if they aren’t first?

I have no idea if they actually signed a contract or not, I'll take your word for it.  Too much risk involved in failure to move at this pace without govt guarantees.

It's just a very odd statement from Dr. Jansen, and appears to be carefully worded.  It may be as simple as wanting to distance themselves from Trump, since the politics of it all have undermined confidence in the vaccine. 

Or it could be corporate greed in action.  "Yeah, the price was $2B when we thought it would probably be worthless, but this thing really works great!!!!"

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 3:58 PM
posted by Spock

“Sniff sniff, why didn’t they have the vaccine ready before the election. Then Trump would have won 😢😢😢😢😢”

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 9, 2020 5:54 PM
posted by Spock

Go teach dodge ball. Its a good thing gym grades are easy to figure out, as percentages are not your thing.

Neither is reality based on this post.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login