Covid-19 discussion, continued...

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 10:04 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Virus is going to go where it's going to go. People aren't going to go for anymore restrictions because they know the risk to themselves is minimal. All the Fauci hype in the world won't change that. 

In places where the hospitals become (and already have in a few places) full, the death rate will spike. I'm happy that these people are safe. Assholes.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 10:04 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Is that the reason for the rise in hospitalizations and the higher death toll? Because, the numbers I am seeing it is a mix of people. So, I continue to say get your shit together guys. 

You kinda come across as this is strictly an Ohio thing. Is anywhere handling this safely? 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 10:42 AM

Well, that is a dumb as shit thought process.  That goes against the entire history of the US Public Health process. But, live and let die baby! 

Not really, considering lockdowns and restrictions have failed to stop the virus and failed to protect our most vulnerable.  I am all ears for another solution, but I think most people are severely kidding themselves to believe we are going to curb this thing without a vaccine or herd immunity.  

Europe is a great case on this right now.  France, Italy, and Spain all had severe 2 month lockdowns followed by another month of lockdown "lite."  By lite I mean what the US has been doing.  What did that earn them?  France is now around 30-50k cases a day.  Italy is averaging at 21K cases a day, and Spain is near that same level.   France has officially locked down for a month and Italy/Spain are about 2 weeks behind France.  What is a lockdown for a month going to do to stop the virus from getting around at this point?  At 30-50K cases a day, its over.  This shit is spreading.  That's the point boogie is making, and he is not wrong.  The people who call for lockdowns or more restrictions are only doing it so they can "feel" safe.  This shit is a dog and pony show at the expense of the economy and ruining a lot of lives. 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 10:46 AM

Do you have to take a covid test to be admitted to a hospital in Ohio? If so, and you're in for another reason and test positive, do you count as a Covid patient?

Thu, Oct 29, 2020 11:10 AM

When you click on each bar in the chart it is labeled "COVID-19 Positive" which sounds like it's not necessarily the same as "hospitalized due to COVID-19." I'm willing to be convinced I'm wrong. But if I were a betting man, I'd say anyone in the hospital for any reason that test positive is counted as a Covid hospitalization. Which makes that metric rather meaningless, imo.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 11:43 AM

Well, that is a dumb as shit thought process.  That goes against the entire history of the US Public Health process. But, live and let die baby! 

Hate it all you want. It's the reality. 

rip34 Member
76 posts 6 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 12:28 PM
posted by justincredible

Do you have to take a covid test to be admitted to a hospital in Ohio? If so, and you're in for another reason and test positive, do you count as a Covid patient?

I work at a rural hospital and we had a lady going to the mailbox fall and break her arm.  Going to have surgery but covid test is positive. So she sits up in the covid unit a week before have surgery.  Had no idea she had covid and not sick at all. 

All our patients are tested before admit. 

Thu, Oct 29, 2020 12:31 PM
posted by rip34

I work at a rural hospital and we had a lady going to the mailbox fall and break her arm.  Going to have surgery but covid test is positive. So she sits up in the covid unit a week before have surgery.  Had no idea she had covid and not sick at all. 

All our patients are tested before admit. 

Thanks for the info. I assumed this was the case at most, if not all hospitals. And given the way it's labeled in the state data above, I assume she's a covid hospitalization as far as the data is concerned.

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 1:38 PM

Is that the reason for the rise in hospitalizations and the higher death toll? Because, the numbers I am seeing it is a mix of people. So, I continue to say get your shit together guys. 

It is with the sick, the elderly, those with bad nutrition, those in closed units.

Assisted care facilities are driving the mortality numbers.

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 1:42 PM

The obesity rate in The United States is near half, this drives everything

Thu, Oct 29, 2020 2:37 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

The obesity rate in The United States is near half, this drives everything

Oops. Can't say that!

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 2:53 PM

my assistant has a night job for a major grocery chain cleaning the corporate offices at night and said they had a big meeting 2 nights ago and the head of the pharmacy told her to go to the store because we are headed for another shut down

Thu, Oct 29, 2020 2:59 PM
posted by geeblock

my assistant has a night job for a major grocery chain cleaning the corporate offices at night and said they had a big meeting 2 nights ago and the head of the pharmacy told her to go to the store because we are headed for another shut down

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 3:01 PM
posted by geeblock

USA Americans will not accept another shut down.  There is no way.

Thu, Oct 29, 2020 3:03 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

Agreed. Ain't happening. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 3:04 PM
i sure hope not
like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 3:32 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

Nice throwback.  Theres resistance here in Italy, so I would hope Italy doesn't out freedom the US. 
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 3:45 PM
posted by like_that
Nice throwback.  Theres resistance here in Italy, so I would hope Italy doesn't out freedom the US. 

I'm tellin ya - ain't happening. No matter how much the fear mongers rage, people aren't stupid. They understand the risk/reward ratio and they're not going to stop living their lives for something that is minimal risk. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 3:51 PM

I pretty much ignored the first shut-down and went to a few friends' places to hand out and drink through that whole April or May or whenever that was, so can't imagine I'll be all compliant with this one if it happens!

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login