Covid-19 discussion, continued...

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 3:54 PM
posted by Heretic

I pretty much ignored the first shut-down and went to a few friends' places to hand out and drink through that whole April or May or whenever that was, so can't imagine I'll be all compliant with this one if it happens!

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 4:23 PM
posted by Heretic

I pretty much ignored the first shut-down and went to a few friends' places to hand out and drink through that whole April or May or whenever that was, so can't imagine I'll be all compliant with this one if it happens!

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 4:55 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

If your mental health is destroyed by the situation, it's a you problem.

Opioid overdoses and suicides are up, they solved the you problem

Thu, Oct 29, 2020 4:57 PM
posted by Heretic

How many ended up in the ICU from this indulgence?

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 5:50 PM
posted by Heretic

This is why DeWine can’t and won’t bother with another shutdown regardless of what geeblock’s coworker heard from another coworker at their other job (these hearsay stories are goofy sometimes.) 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 5:51 PM
posted by like_that

I actually had a permit for work that basically said that. It had a lot more words about being essential in a business that supplies hospitals their needed oxygen. That is all true even though what I do has nothing to do with hospitals.

It was basically a "do whatever you want" permit as long as you had it in your wallet with you. 

I still have it in my wallet matter of fact.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 5:58 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

This is why DeWine can’t and won’t bother with another shutdown regardless of what geeblock’s coworker heard from another coworker at their other job (these hearsay stories are goofy sometimes.)

It's going to be interesting how President Biden and his media are going to convince people to return to normal if the vaccine is only as effective as the flu vaccine.  6+ months of the usual disaster sensationalism and all of a sudden you're going to convince people it's really no big deal?

Shaping up to be a repeat of the Great Recession where the groundwork for the recovery was already all in place before Obama was even sworn in.  Hopefully, but Biden doesn't appear to plan to do much different than Trump, but will gladly take credit for the efforts to fast-track a vaccine.

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 6:18 PM
posted by gut

It's going to be interesting how President Biden and his media are going to convince people to return to normal if the vaccine is only as effective as the flu vaccine.  6+ months of the usual disaster sensationalism and all of a sudden you're going to convince people it's really no big deal?

Shaping up to be a repeat of the Great Recession where the groundwork for the recovery was already all in place before Obama was even sworn in.  Hopefully, but Biden doesn't appear to plan to do much different than Trump, but will gladly take credit for the efforts to fast-track a vaccine.

Even if Trump loses I think we see a vaccine while he’s still in office. Hoping for wide distribution by the middle of 2021. 

OSH Kosh B'Gosh
4,424 posts 18 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 7:00 PM

Wife just told me the KY Governor advised to shut down schools again come Monday. What a nightmare. Her district is TBD. Who knows when this decision will be made...yuck.

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 7:14 PM
posted by OSH

Wife just told me the KY Governor advised to shut down schools again come Monday. What a nightmare. Her district is TBD. Who knows when this decision will be made...yuck.

I think that we may see a lot of districts shut down at some point in November and not reopen until January at the earliest.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 7:54 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

How many ended up in the ICU from this indulgence?

I didn't!

OSH Kosh B'Gosh
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 9:54 PM
posted by OSH

To make matters worse, just got an email tonight that the local soccer league has cancelled all games on Saturday, which is the last day of games. We have two kids (6 and 5) playing in it. They will be devastated to hear they can't play or see their friends one last time. Then, could tell them anywhere between Friday-Sunday that no more school for awhile either.

Zero issues from any of it, their schooling or the youth soccer league. 

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 29, 2020 10:58 PM

Sorry to hear all that OSH. It sucks when the kids are affected because they don’t always understand. 

OSH Kosh B'Gosh
Fri, Oct 30, 2020 9:59 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Sorry to hear all that OSH. It sucks when the kids are affected because they don’t always understand. 

Appreciate it. At least I'm still unemployed so I can be Mr. Mom and Teacher again. Sigh.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 30, 2020 11:00 AM
posted by jmog

I actually had a permit for work that basically said that. It had a lot more words about being essential in a business that supplies hospitals their needed oxygen. That is all true even though what I do has nothing to do with hospitals.

It was basically a "do whatever you want" permit as long as you had it in your wallet with you. 

I still have it in my wallet matter of fact.

Your Papers Please - Your Papers Please | Meme Generator

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 30, 2020 12:55 PM
posted by OSH

They would go virtual or actually shut down completely?

OSH Kosh B'Gosh
Fri, Oct 30, 2020 3:03 PM
posted by sportchampps

They would go virtual or actually shut down completely?

Shut down in-person instruction, so the students would go virtual and I assume the teachers will still be required to go to the school to do their virtual instruction (which is how the first 5 weeks of the semester started). Unlike the spring when schools went virtual, all teachers taught from home.

Fri, Oct 30, 2020 3:14 PM

The great re-set, obey comrades

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 2, 2020 11:45 AM

new mandatory california guidelines masks thanksgiving halloween

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 2, 2020 2:07 PM

Why make stupid laws that 1) you can't enforce 2) you look completely terrible for suggesting and/or trying to enforce 3) people will refuse to follow.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login