Covid-19 discussion, continued...

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 10:09 AM
posted by Ironman92

My wife is the superintendent’s secretary and she just messaged me to bring my chrome book home.....her boss must have a strong feeling.

I hope DeWine doesn’t do it again. Wait a couple weeks. My school district has ZERO cases.

Schools are the last thing they should close down. Locking down again would be dumb. It’ll only last until the lockdown is over then cases will rise again. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 10:18 AM

my sis law works at a district in delaware county and they average 2 cases a day per school currently for the last few weeks

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 11:19 AM
posted by kizer permanente

Eh I disagree. Good friends of ours sent their kid to school basically knowingly. She tested positive for covid earlier in the year in March. Her husband tested positive later in October. Their son threw up a couple times but had no fever. They took him to his doctor and he ordered him a test. They sent him to school knowing someone on the family is positive and he threw up but hadn’t had his test yet. It came back positive. His football team had to quarantine and forfeit their playoff game bc of being around him. People do dumb shit all the time. 

So the kid is one of the extremely rare cases in the world (so far less than 20 documented) that have had COVID twice?

Not saying I don’t believe you,  but since everybody in the US that has had it twice so far (last I saw only 3?) was a national news story, but this kid isn’t?

Seems odd.  

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 12:07 PM

Especially odd if you don't use reading comprehension to see that he was saying that the wife of the family had it in March, the husband got it this month and the kid subsequently got it.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 12:11 PM
posted by jmog

So the kid is one of the extremely rare cases in the world (so far less than 20 documented) that have had COVID twice?

Not saying I don’t believe you,  but since everybody in the US that has had it twice so far (last I saw only 3?) was a national news story, but this kid isn’t?

Seems odd.  

No his mom had it earlier in the year.  his dad got it recently and he got it from his dad  

Sorry I’m seeing how poorly it was worded now. It made sense to me obviously lol 

Mom was sick in March. She works at a hospital so it made sense. She was the only one in her family who got it in March. 

Then dad was sick recently and tested positive. Son started throwing up one night but never had a fever so they sent him to school. They took him to his doctor bc of the puking and the doctor ordered a test then. But they still sent him to school until he got his test results. It came back positive then they had to quarantine everyone he was in contact with. Which he plays football so that became a lot of people. 

jmog Senior Member
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 1:16 PM
posted by Heretic

Especially odd if you don't use reading comprehension to see that he was saying that the wife of the family had it in March, the husband got it this month and the kid subsequently got it.

My bad, didn’t read it correctly. That’s on me.

jmog Senior Member
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 1:17 PM

No his mom had it earlier in the year.  his dad got it recently and he got it from his dad  

Sorry I’m seeing how poorly it was worded now. It made sense to me obviously lol 

Mom was sick in March. She works at a hospital so it made sense. She was the only one in her family who got it in March. 

Then dad was sick recently and tested positive. Son started throwing up one night but never had a fever so they sent him to school. They took him to his doctor bc of the puking and the doctor ordered a test then. But they still sent him to school until he got his test results. It came back positive then they had to quarantine everyone he was in contact with. Which he plays football so that became a lot of people. 

Nah, not on you, I read it wrong the first time. My fault.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 1:36 PM

Only 🤡 think they can apply a cost benefit analysis to education since most of the benefits are intangible and can’t be monetized. But I’m sure you knew that. 

Gotcha.

We spend more on education every single year, and turn out more functional illiterates every single year.  Money is not the issue; the model is broken.  This is why so many people opt to effectively pay double in order to properly educate their children outside this broken system - yet another public sector monopoly disaster.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 1:47 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Gotcha.

We spend more on education every single year, and turn out more functional illiterates every single year.  Money is not the issue; the model is broken.  This is why so many people opt to effectively pay double in order to properly educate their children outside this broken system - yet another public sector monopoly disaster.

We spend more on everything every year. That’s literally how inflation works. Why would education be immune to it? 

geeblock Member
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 1:48 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Gotcha.

Are you talking about the police?

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 2:04 PM

We spend more on everything every year. That’s literally how inflation works. Why would education be immune to it? 

I think his point is that the results recede even as costs go up - including inflation.  BTW, inflation-adjusted costs of public education has increased exponentially over the past fifty years.  The myth that we defund schools regularly just doesn't add up.  And still, academic performance gets worse.  QO has a fair point there.

https://reason.org/commentary/inflation-adjusted-k-12-education-spending-per-student-has-increased-by-280-percent-since-1960/

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 2:11 PM
posted by geeblock

my sis law works at a district in delaware county and they average 2 cases a day per school currently for the last few weeks

">

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 2:15 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I think his point is that the results recede even as costs go up - including inflation.  BTW, inflation-adjusted costs of public education has increased exponentially over the past fifty years.  The myth that we defund schools regularly just doesn't add up.  And still, academic performance gets worse.  QO has a fair point there.

I think we spend more per capita for K-12 than any country in the world.  It's a similar story with healthcare.  There are structural reasons for both, plus in the wealthiest country in the world pretty much everything costs more.

The problem really isn't spending in this country.  And if our spending were under control, taxes wouldn't be an issue, either.  But anyone who has worked in a company knows the more money you just throw at a problem, the more inefficiencies you create.  "More money" is rarely the best solution.  It's the path of least resistance, and doesn't promote the necessary deep-dive reviews of how things are actually being done.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 2:29 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Hamilton county in danger of going from red to purple next week, which means severe spread and exposure. Only go out if necessary, and DeWine said he was unsure about further stay at home mandates. 

You wouldn't know it living in the county. What are the criteria for this system anyway?

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 2:35 PM
posted by justincredible

You wouldn't know it living in the county. What are the criteria for this system anyway?

I have no fucking idea anymore. There’s gotta be a better way to encourage wearing a mask than his color map. 

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 5:25 PM

I hope there’s no shut down. I can make 40% of my yearly income in November and December so I would like for the state to be open. 

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 9:32 PM

Is this true?  The rise for cost for K-12 school is for admin, not for the educators, seems counterproductive 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 23, 2020 2:54 PM

Spending on education has far outpaced inflation .....same for health care/insurance ------ because BIG government is involved.

geeblock Member
Fri, Oct 23, 2020 4:32 PM

We have been teaching virtually, but we have been physically at the school while doing it. Of course I leave today at 235, and at 245 I get an email saying we are to work from home going forward and all my stuff is in my classroom. Such poor  timing on that decision 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Oct 24, 2020 8:39 PM

Don’t know where to put this, but Cuomo against the Jews in NY is something. Police questioning how many people in a house? Fucked up (protests still ok tho)

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login