2020 Presidential Election thread

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 10:42 AM
posted by Al Bundy
Hopefully they develop a vaccine for that.

I lol'd.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 10:44 AM

Cruz is likely following the sentiment and will of his voting block in Texas.  He has to be bullish because that is what they want down there.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 10:46 AM
posted by sportchampps

Cruz just feels like an opportunist. He jumped on the Trump Train bc it was popular but I’m not sure he ever was fully on. 

Correct.  Most of his beliefs do not really align with Trump, but he also knows/thinks he needs some of Trump's base to win.  He bit off more than he could chew. 

Spock Senior Member
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 10:49 AM

Damn why does the stock market like Biden so much?  Its going bananas today?

My guess is that these big businesses know that Biden is going to turn a blind eye to cheap labor and shady overseas deals that undercut the American worker.

Never will understand how Dems can stand there and act like they care about the American worker.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 11:05 AM
posted by Spock

Never will understand how Dems can stand there and act like they care about the American worker.

Both parties have the same priorities:

1. Get elected

2. Get re-elected

3. Whatever

Never will understand how partisans can stand there and act like they have some sort of moral superiority.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 11:11 AM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Both parties have the same priorities:

1. Get elected

2. Get re-elected

3. Whatever

Never will understand how partisans can stand there and act like they have some sort of moral superiority.

Well stated. I don't see anyone on the left or right who GAF about the American worker. They all talk a big game, but it rings hollow. 

Spock Senior Member
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 11:21 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Well stated. I don't see anyone on the left or right who GAF about the American worker. They all talk a big game, but it rings hollow. 

Wasnt that Trumps main agenda?  America first?  His policies and actions sure sounded that alarm.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 11:30 AM
posted by Devils Advocate

And that would make you more retarded than they are ( assuming that’s possible) if you think that setting a couple of trash cans on fire or breaking some windows is comparable to an insurgent overtaking of the the capitol .

I would think an insurgent overtaking would be something like a fully-armed organized group of military-type assault teams storming a building with weapons ablazing and mortar cover fire.  Obviously what occurred yesterday should never have happened and any vandals and trespassers should be fully prosecuted, but an unarmed guy in blue jeans and a flannel shirt plopping down at Pelosi's desk and taking a selfie is probably not an insurgency. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 11:42 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

BTW, Strong words from George Will today 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-hawley-and-cruz-will-each-wear-the-scarlet-s-of-a-seditionist/2021/01/06/65b0ad1a-506c-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html

He's little more than an establishment opportunist; no one cares.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 12:15 PM
posted by Spock

Wasnt that Trumps main agenda?  America first?  His policies and actions sure sounded that alarm.

No, they did not. Manufacturing and middle class jobs bring outsourced has been going on for decades and everyone has been well aware of it. Trump made a lot of noise about it, but nothing's changed. Larger trade imbalance with China today than we had in 2016. He is not responsible for all that happened there, but his talk to change it was that - all talk. 

Spock Senior Member
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 12:19 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

No, they did not. Manufacturing and middle class jobs bring outsourced has been going on for decades and everyone has been well aware of it. Trump made a lot of noise about it, but nothing's changed. Larger trade imbalance with China today than we had in 2016. He is not responsible for all that happened there, but his talk to change it was that - all talk. 

You are insane.  The middle class working environment right before China screwed up the world with Covid were off the charts.

Records set in almost every catagory

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 12:28 PM
posted by jmog

See, now you are putting words in my mouth that I didn't say. I am not lumping everyone that believes that black lives do matter with violent protests. I have said myself in the past that I agree with the concept, but vehemently disagree with the organization.

And see, I was doing the same. We were just talking past each other. I think we are on the same page now. 

Thu, Jan 7, 2021 12:30 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Don't understand that response to me. Perhaps a re-read is in order?

Don't fall for the bullshit theory that antifa was there yesterday...don't be that gullible. 

Edit: All good, had to reread it a few times. 

Thu, Jan 7, 2021 12:33 PM

What are the thoughts of the 25th Amendment used on Trump here?

I think it is too far given it is just 13 days left and a stretch. 

But, it does seem we are approaching the end of the Nixon Administration in 1973 level here. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 12:37 PM

Don't fall for the bullshit theory that antifa was there yesterday...don't be that guillble. 

Think you misread what he said, although I had to read it a couple times myself. He said that, in trying to support their crackpot idea that "They wasn't us; they was teh Antifas!!!!", people are taking the pics of yesterday's yahoos and finding similar looking people from the summer protests to try to say they are the same people, even if actual facial recognition software says differently.

Spock Senior Member
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 12:54 PM

But, it does seem we are approaching the end of the Nixon Administration in 1973 level here. 

there is no reason for it but for the fact that some think that the use of this would eliminate his chances of a run in 24.

After this shit show, he aint running.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 1:08 PM
posted by Spock

Damn why does the stock market like Biden so much?  Its going bananas today?

For starters, Trump basically conceded today.

Second, Biden has already promised MOAR STIMULUS!!!!  Markets like stimulus.  We'll wait to see what effects tax increases have, but that's at least a year, probably two away.  If at all, because to end the Trump tax cuts prematurely Dems would have to eliminate the filibuster, and there is at least one vote (Manchin) against that.

Thu, Jan 7, 2021 1:17 PM
posted by gut

For starters, Trump basically conceded today.

Second, Biden has already promised MOAR STIMULUS!!!!  Markets like stimulus.  We'll wait to see what effects tax increases have, but that's at least a year, probably two away.  If at all, because to end the Trump tax cuts prematurely Dems would have to eliminate the filibuster, and there is at least one vote (Manchin) against that.

I also think we may finally get that long promised Infrastructure Bill. That is more likely sooner rather than later. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 1:31 PM

I also think we may finally get that long promised Infrastructure Bill. That is more likely sooner rather than later. 

That is at least needed spending.  It needs to be at least partially funded (we can give up on either party fully funding anything, at this point) by taxes...and that should come mostly from gas taxes.  The problem is those gas taxes have never been reserved/earmarked for roads & bridges, and that's a big part of the problem.

But I don't know why we didn't get an infrastructure bill before.  I assume because of divided branches, if not the filibuster.  Can you get 10 Repubs to break a filibuster?  Only if you do it right away while the economy is still struggling. 

If we get back to normal by the end of the year I wouldn't bet on an infrastructure bill.  It's going to be like immigration reform - it doesn't get done because neither party will give the other that victory.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 7, 2021 1:35 PM

With the short amount of time between now and Biden taking over, it'd probably be a waste of time and more pointless bickering. Hell, him being neutered on social media now was more than I'd have expected, at least before the 20th. And probably will do a lot more to help things than any amount of "try to kick him out early" stuff. Just make sure he sticks to his "okay, I will concede" thoughts and keep him away from anything remotely resembling public speaking for a couple weeks and that'll be enough.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login