Covid-19 discussion, continued...

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 2:01 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Selling plasma sounds completely not worth it. 

I remember doing that in college to give me more beer/weed money. And then I graduated, got an actual job and never really even thought about it until it came up in this post.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 2:18 PM
posted by Heretic

I remember doing that in college to give me more beer/weed money. And then I graduated, got an actual job and never really even thought about it until it came up in this post.

Ha I did it twice bc if you came back a 2nd time in the week you got a little more. Never wanted to do it again.

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 2:55 PM
posted by Rotinaj

Wowzers a whole $600! Probably the amount they came up with when they asked themselves "what is the least amount of money we can give the people to keep them from rioting?" I don't personally need the money but we have some pretty desperate families out there right now and this does very little to help. Also, they need to be going by money made this year. What someone made last year means practically nothing.

I’m pretty sure it is based on what you make this year. Because the year is not over and they don’t know what you make they will make the adjustment on your tax returns. So if you didn’t qualify based on last year but was laid off this year you will get the right amount of money if will just not be until tax season. Pp

P
Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 4:52 PM

Daughter gave vaccinations today at nursing home near Portsmouth and said it was crazy lol....zero occurrences of issues from the shot so far.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 5:35 PM
posted by sportchampps

I’m pretty sure it is based on what you make this year.

Not sure about the one-off check, but I saw another round of PPP loans will be based on how much your revenues declined.

It was a little wonky how they did the stimulus check.  An unemployment benefit that DECREASES based on how much money you made the prior year when you were, you know, working?

gut Senior Member
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 5:42 PM

Was wondering about evictions, and just saw this:

The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) said today (Dec. 21) that it has extended through Feb. 28 its moratorium on evictions and foreclosures for holders of single-family mortgages insured by the division of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The moratoriums had been set to expire on Dec. 31.

That's going to be a hell of a thing to unwind.  What will happen to people months behind on their rent?  What if they finally started working again? What if they are a bar/restaurant/hotel worker and still unemployed? What are the landlords going to do, evict everyone and get NOTHING until the economy recovers because there will be way more units than people working & able to pay?

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 5:53 PM

THis whole stimulus package is complete BS.  $600 crumbs for us after the Dems blocked larger packages for months.

There are billions going to BS like agriculture in the Sudan.  

gut Senior Member
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 6:16 PM
posted by Spock

THis whole stimulus package is complete BS.  $600 crumbs for us after the Dems blocked larger packages for months.

Have you not been earning your regular income this whole time?
queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 6:17 PM
posted by Spock

Agriculture in the Sudan does as much for me personally as anything you do.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 6:33 PM

5600 pages?!?  I can't imagine what kind of pork and other BS is in that monstrosity.

The swamp is alive and well.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 6:59 PM
posted by gut

5600 pages?!?  I can't imagine what kind of pork and other BS is in that monstrosity.

The swamp is alive and well.

The Twitter is very alive about all the millions going to stuff like Israel, military shit and former presidents, while regular people get $600. And alive, but less so, over the whole "give 'em 5600 pages and a few hours to peruse them before voting" thing.

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 10:02 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/coronavirus-stimulus-deal-funding-gavi-bill-gates-132249063.html

This is the crap I can’t stand give everyone $600 and other countries funding

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Mon, Dec 21, 2020 10:21 PM
posted by QuakerOats

I still have a hard time understanding how there can be so many 'desperate' people when just about every manufacturing company is trying to hire people.  At some point, if you are in one of the industries that the government has destroyed, you need to move to another sector where desperate employers can't find workers.

Have been thinking about this.  ER was just under 4 before the shutdown, shot up to 15 in April, has slowly edged down under 7.  The lag on this must be tremendous, I am seeing a lot of "help wanted" signs on various industries.  The transition to a different employment should be showing on the economic indicators in the next few months.  Still it is sad to see so many family businesses go away due to the shutdown that was only supposed to last 2 weeks  

GOONx19 An exceptional poster.
7,413 posts 94 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 22, 2020 7:54 AM

I received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. So far, the only adverse effect I’ve experienced is an arm that’s similar in soreness to a tetanus booster. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 22, 2020 9:16 AM
posted by gut

Was wondering about evictions, and just saw this:

The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) said today (Dec. 21) that it has extended through Feb. 28 its moratorium on evictions and foreclosures for holders of single-family mortgages insured by the division of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The moratoriums had been set to expire on Dec. 31.

That's going to be a hell of a thing to unwind.  What will happen to people months behind on their rent?  What if they finally started working again? What if they are a bar/restaurant/hotel worker and still unemployed? What are the landlords going to do, evict everyone and get NOTHING until the economy recovers because there will be way more units than people working & able to pay?

I imagine the large mortgage companies will “refinance” and basically add the months to the end of the loan.

It’s trickier if you rent from a landlord. He/she still needs that money and you owe it. If I were the landlord I would offer my tenant to take those 4 months and spread it over a year  basically if rent is $600, then take the $2400 you owe me and for a year your rent is $800, then it goes back down to $600.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 22, 2020 3:42 PM
posted by sportchampps

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/coronavirus-stimulus-deal-funding-gavi-bill-gates-132249063.html

This is the crap I can’t stand give everyone $600 and other countries funding

From what I see this does not come close to being as awful as a Trump tweet.

wildcats20 In ROY I Trust!!
29,653 posts 76 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 22, 2020 8:19 PM

Trump threatens to veto the relief package. Says he wants $2000 payments. 

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Tue, Dec 22, 2020 8:28 PM
posted by wildcats20

Trump threatens to veto the relief package. Says he wants $2000 payments. 

Sweet.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 22, 2020 8:28 PM

How thoughtful of him. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 23, 2020 7:48 AM
posted by Spock

Yeah...that is not at all what happened. Rs and Ds both blocked movement until just last week. They were all far apart as Rs wanted liability proections and the Ds wanted more for states. Both were dropped and hence we got this bill. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login