Covid-19 discussion, continued...

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 23, 2020 7:49 AM
posted by gut

5600 pages?!?  I can't imagine what kind of pork and other BS is in that monstrosity.

The swamp is alive and well.

It is so large because it is not just the relief package, but it is also the FY21 Budget because Congress can never pass a fucking budget on time. That is why it has a lot of the things that Rs are screaming about. Because, those portions are part of the actual FY21 budget. 

They just smashed the two together as they bolted out of town. 

Wed, Dec 23, 2020 7:52 AM
posted by wildcats20

Trump threatens to veto the relief package. Says he wants $2000 payments. 

Some people just want to watch the world burn. 

Of course the Ds would love to do that and of course Pelosi endorsed the idea. 

Funny...if Trump does veto it, most of Congress is leaving soon, so I'm not sure anything could pass until after the Holiday. 

4D Chess indeed,....

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Wed, Dec 23, 2020 8:20 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Yeah...that is not at all what happened. Rs and Ds both blocked movement until just last week. They were all far apart as Rs wanted liability proections and the Ds wanted more for states. Both were dropped and hence we got this bill. 

I think you need to look into your facts.  Minuchin (sp) offered up months ago a $1.5 or $1.8 trillion dollar package to Nancy to take to the floor and she didn’t.  The R’s and the WH have been ready for a deal for months and Nancy had delayed it.  

Wed, Dec 23, 2020 8:25 AM
posted by Fletch

I think you need to look into your facts.  Minuchin (sp) offered up months ago a $1.5 or $1.8 trillion dollar package to Nancy to take to the floor and she didn’t.  The R’s and the WH have been ready for a deal for months and Nancy had delayed it.  

Yeah, that is one side of the it. But, McConnell in the Senate would not bring either the White House's plan or the House plan to the Senate floor unless it had the Liability Protections and had a lower check amount to everyone. That was dropped and so was the State and Local aid, and once it was...it got Senate support. 

Trying to pin this fucking thing on one party is not accurate as they were both playing to their respective bases. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, Dec 23, 2020 8:41 AM

lol at anyone who sees where the money is going to in this bill and still thinks the Government has their best interest in mind as long as their party is in control.  This type of wasteful spending has been going on for two decades now.  The only reason this caught everyone's attention, is because it is supposed to provide "relief" from the same people that have done everything they can to prevent people from living their lives.  I would say, this will finally make people wake up, but more than likely after a couple months everyone will start to dig into their sides again.   

Wasteful spending is great as long as my team does it!!!

Wed, Dec 23, 2020 8:56 AM
posted by like_that

lol at anyone who sees where the money is going to in this bill and still thinks the Government has their best interest in mind as long as their party is in control.  This type of wasteful spending has been going on for two decades now.  The only reason this caught everyone's attention, is because it is supposed to provide "relief" from the same people that have done everything they can to prevent people from living their lives.  I would say, this will finally make people wake up, but more than likely after a couple months everyone will start to dig into their sides again.   

Wasteful spending is great as long as my team does it!!!

Yeah, the fact it was combined it was the FY21 budget put a spotlight on all of that. I think we are going back to the pre 2016 budget battles where each side goes to their respective corners and pet projects. 

Fiscal hawks will come out of the shadows after being silent for 4 years and liberal pet projects will arrive once again. 

My only hope is a close Senate will limit that...but this relief bill and budget battle shows it is unlikely. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Wed, Dec 23, 2020 9:22 AM

We might as well just give each House and Senate member a spending limit and call it that.  Each gets a certain amount (lets say $10 million) to spend how they wish in their district.  Done.

If they want more, their district pays more in taxes.  

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 23, 2020 12:17 PM

I'm "ok" with the $2000 as long as the increase in payments makes the other bull shit fluff to go down, and the bill stays the same size or even drops.

There is way too much pork. $200 million goes to the people, $700 million to other bull shit, including countries that hate us.

Wed, Dec 23, 2020 2:18 PM
posted by jmog

I'm "ok" with the $2000 as long as the increase in payments makes the other bull shit fluff to go down, and the bill stays the same size or even drops.

There is way too much pork. $200 million goes to the people, $700 million to other bull shit, including countries that hate us.

LOL, you know that is not going to happen.  The Kennedy Center  and Sudan need that $$$$.
Wed, Dec 23, 2020 2:20 PM
posted by jmog

It should be separate from the FY21 Spending bill. That I agree. 

Wed, Dec 23, 2020 2:21 PM

Our FY21 spending bill shouldn't have 80-90% of the bullshit that is in it. 

Wed, Dec 23, 2020 2:21 PM
posted by like_that

Our FY21 spending bill shouldn't have 80-90% of the bullshit that is in it. 

Also, largely agree. Way too many pet projects throw in. The shit getting throw in at the end is a result of them not actually following the true budget process. 

These pet projects and shit should get weeded out during the committee process, not thrown in at the last minute on the floor as we look to avoid a shutdown. 

Wed, Dec 23, 2020 2:22 PM

Also:

AnGeLa MeRKeL is A ScIenTiSt.  

Wed, Dec 23, 2020 2:37 PM

I will try to stop commenting on the spending bill since it's not really COVID related, but one more comment.  Rand Paul just posted his 2020 Festivus Report regarding the USG's wasteful spending.  

https://www.paul.senate.gov/sites/default/files/page-attachments/2020FestivusReport.pdf

Just look at pages 6-7 and tell me if you are ok with it.  Next time anyone tells you taxes should be increased, show refer them to this report and tell them to go fuck themselves.

Spock Senior Member
Wed, Dec 23, 2020 2:50 PM

Back to Covd......the tik tok burnt orange experiment to get your taste back didnt work  

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 23, 2020 4:20 PM
posted by Spock

Back to Covd......the tik tok burnt orange experiment to get your taste back didnt work  

Lol

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 23, 2020 4:29 PM
posted by Spock

The good news is, at least you won't throw up the next time you eat a vegemite sandwich.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 24, 2020 10:14 AM

I also agree that our FY21 spending bill shouldn’t have half that foreign aid in it as well  

Spock Senior Member
Sat, Dec 26, 2020 9:33 AM

Day 14 with no taste or smell.  

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 26, 2020 10:21 AM
posted by Spock

Day 14 with no taste or smell.  

Dad and stepmom had it in early October.....both say they only taste about 50% of food still.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login