Progressives, part 3...

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Wed, Dec 22, 2021 2:38 PM
posted by superman

Did you read it? Holy misleading chart Batman. 

What’s misleading about it?

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 22, 2021 9:22 PM
posted by kizer permanente

What’s misleading about it?

The "red wave" that the chart maker tries to make look all scary is 1.5 deaths per 100,000 people. Even you or gut could do the math on that survival rate. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Dec 23, 2021 3:41 AM

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m saying it’s too nuanced to say. “Look look look ! People are leaving California bc of the liberals” or “hey guyz democrats are why these big cities aren’t safe!!!”  which you know the two  who shared the links believes. You just happened to respond so I assume you agree with them? 

I am saying it plays a huge role into it.   A much larger role than any of the other reasons you want to give us and much larger than you want to give credit.  Also, it's not just California.  Year in and year out the top out bound states are dominated by states that were governed by the left for a long time. The top inbound states tend to be governed by the right for awhile.  The common denominator is cost of living.  Real estate plays a role, but amongst all the variables that play into cost of living, it's not even close to playing the biggest role.  I have been to plenty places in the US and the world with high real estate costs, but it doesn't cost me $15 to get a drink at the bar.   You can keep denying the reason why people are leaving, but if it smells like a rat...

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 23, 2021 7:22 AM

I don't know. I know there's no perfect way to figure out metrics on a relatively subjective position, but when you look at top ten areas where real estate costs the most, it's overwhelmingly democrat.  

1. San Francisco, California 85.3% Democrat

2. Manhattan, New York 86.4% Democrat

3. San Jose, California 72.6% Democrat

4. Bethesda, Maryland 78.6% Democrat

5. Brooklyn, New York 76.8% Democrat

6. Los Angeles, California  71.0% Democrat

7. Boston, Massachusetts 80.6% Democrat

8. Oakland, California 79.8% Democrat

9. Seattle, Washington 75.0% Democrat

10. Honolulu, Hawaii 62.5% Democrat 

A factor, but some of the places on the list are primarily due to supply issues, not particularly high demand. For example, Boston's population growth has been smaller than the U.S. rate for at least 20 years.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 23, 2021 3:09 PM
posted by like_that

The top inbound states tend to be governed by the right for awhile.

The landscape changes quickly once the locusts arrive in mass.

Mon, Dec 27, 2021 5:30 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

A factor, but some of the places on the list are primarily due to supply issues, not particularly high demand. For example, Boston's population growth has been smaller than the U.S. rate for at least 20 years.

Good point.  There’s probably better ways to quantify it. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 29, 2021 10:46 AM

Ratio’d. Quite the take, “Dr”.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 29, 2021 10:53 AM
posted by iclfan2

I'm starting to think some of these takes are AI generated.

I mean, how the hell does someone even come up with that?  Re-make "That 70's show" in today's woke culture....

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Dec 29, 2021 11:42 AM
posted by iclfan2

Why do you spend time seeking this stuff out?

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 29, 2021 12:11 PM

You say the same thing every time. It shows up on Twitter, it’s a progressive loser, so I post it here. No one seeks out these terrible opinions, it shows up. I follow mainly sports things on Twitter, so it’s shown up quite a bit today. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 29, 2021 12:23 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Because nothing says "owning teh libs" quite like posting stupid takes by stupid people that no one had ever heard about before they made their stupid take and no one will remember by tomorrow because said take was so stupid and not worthy of anything even remotely warranting serious discussion that everyone laughs at it and moves on.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 29, 2021 1:07 PM

In his defense, that tweet showed up on my feed a couple times because it pissed off people I follow. It’s not like Spock with his “who wants to hear how CNN hurt my feelings today!!”

Regardless, it’s such a trashy look to use a man’s death to remind everyone how you didn’t care for him. Just because you have an opinion doesn’t mean you need to say it. 

Wed, Dec 29, 2021 1:52 PM
posted by iclfan2

That is a spicy hot taek lol 

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 29, 2021 6:37 PM

Not to mention,  John Madden was on the record about thinking players should not return to games after a concussion in the 80s. He was on the competition committee and always fought for player safety. 

Thu, Dec 30, 2021 9:10 AM

I take it you don’t know how Twitter works?

Thu, Dec 30, 2021 9:20 AM
posted by like_that

I take it you don’t know how Twitter works?

I do.  By taking the time to read and post nonsense like this, you give free rent in your head to the jackass who wrote it.  My opinion is the garbage on twitter far exceeds anything useful it offers.  Quitting it may be a positive mental health step.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 30, 2021 12:23 PM

I do.  By taking the time to read and post nonsense like this, you give free rent in your head to the jackass who wrote it.  My opinion is the garbage on twitter far exceeds anything useful it offers.  Quitting it may be a positive mental health step.

Fun Fact: While scrolling through the near (if not exactly) 100% ratio against that guy, I found a meme that perfectly encapsulates Twitter (and the CC/QO contingent here). Two panels with the first one being a dude who pissed his pants and everyone around him pointing and laughing. The second being that dude smirking while thinking, "rent free".

Thu, Dec 30, 2021 12:24 PM

A lot of people should take your advice, but the point is regular people are not normally seeking out these dumbass tweets.  Someone with a decent size following posts a dumbass take, and then said dumbass take gets shared to be ridiculed.  That tweet showed up on my feed too.  It was a good laugh. 

Thu, Dec 30, 2021 1:52 PM
posted by like_that

A lot of people should take your advice, but the point is regular people are not normally seeking out these dumbass tweets.  Someone with a decent size following posts a dumbass take, and then said dumbass take gets shared to be ridiculed.  That tweet showed up on my feed too.  It was a good laugh. 

Fair enough

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 4, 2022 11:12 AM

I spent hours scouring twitter to find this braindead take, btw.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login