Progressives, part 3...

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Wed, Dec 22, 2021 9:39 AM
posted by queencitybuckeye

What's stupid about the argument that the cost of living, already high, keeps rising to the point where one can't afford it anymore or decide it's no longer worth it?

That’s not stupid. What’s stupid is moving to an area with an already high income tax rate then leaving and saying it’s because the income tax rate is too high. 

Wed, Dec 22, 2021 9:41 AM
posted by gut
LMFAO....what thread did you post this in again?

The thread it’s posted on is moot. The point remains cost of living in desirable areas isn’t political. I’m not sure exactly what you’re missing? 

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 22, 2021 10:00 AM
posted by kizer permanente

The thread it’s posted on is moot. The point remains cost of living in desirable areas isn’t political. I’m not sure exactly what you’re missing? 

As the tax burden between various states is a huge factor in the cost of living, of course it's political.

Wed, Dec 22, 2021 10:53 AM

As the tax burden between various states is a huge factor in the cost of living, of course it's political.

Sure, But when you look at the most desirable areas to live in, they tend to lean blue to purple. You don't think that skews it?

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 22, 2021 11:03 AM

Sure, But when you look at the most desirable areas to live in, they tend to lean blue to purple. You don't think that skews it?

Not sure your premise is accurate.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Wed, Dec 22, 2021 11:31 AM

Moderate Dems leaving in droves.  Gonna be a bloodbath next year

Wed, Dec 22, 2021 11:53 AM
posted by Fletch

Moderate Dems leaving in droves.  Gonna be a bloodbath next year

The bloodbath is happening as we speak in the ICUs and they’re not typically democrats. 

Wed, Dec 22, 2021 12:19 PM

Not sure your premise is accurate.

I don't know. I know there's no perfect way to figure out metrics on a relatively subjective position, but when you look at top ten areas where real estate costs the most, it's overwhelmingly democrat.  

1. San Francisco, California 85.3% Democrat

2. Manhattan, New York 86.4% Democrat

3. San Jose, California 72.6% Democrat

4. Bethesda, Maryland 78.6% Democrat

5. Brooklyn, New York 76.8% Democrat

6. Los Angeles, California  71.0% Democrat

7. Boston, Massachusetts 80.6% Democrat

8. Oakland, California 79.8% Democrat

9. Seattle, Washington 75.0% Democrat

10. Honolulu, Hawaii 62.5% Democrat 

Fletch Member
Wed, Dec 22, 2021 12:22 PM

The bloodbath is happening as we speak in the ICUs and they’re not typically democrats. 

Link?  Also wrong thread.

Wed, Dec 22, 2021 12:55 PM
posted by Fletch

Link?  Also wrong thread.

Not that you’ll read it, but …

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, Dec 22, 2021 1:06 PM

I don't know. I know there's no perfect way to figure out metrics on a relatively subjective position, but when you look at top ten areas where real estate costs the most, it's overwhelmingly democrat.  

1. San Francisco, California 85.3% Democrat

2. Manhattan, New York 86.4% Democrat

3. San Jose, California 72.6% Democrat

4. Bethesda, Maryland 78.6% Democrat

5. Brooklyn, New York 76.8% Democrat

6. Los Angeles, California  71.0% Democrat

7. Boston, Massachusetts 80.6% Democrat

8. Oakland, California 79.8% Democrat

9. Seattle, Washington 75.0% Democrat

10. Honolulu, Hawaii 62.5% Democrat 

Now do top in bound states and their associated political colors….

Wed, Dec 22, 2021 1:07 PM
posted by like_that

Now do top in bound states and their associated political colors….

You don’t have google? 

Also, I did cities not states. There’s probably at least one city in every state you could manage to live in. The whole state? Nah. 

Also, those areas didn’t become undesirable or real estate would correlate, right? 

Fletch Member
Wed, Dec 22, 2021 1:10 PM

Lol if you think that is real

Wed, Dec 22, 2021 1:13 PM
posted by Fletch

Lol if you think that is real

Well, feel free to refute it with your data then. That’s how that works lol. 

I know they don’t teach that in gym class though. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 22, 2021 1:13 PM

I wonder if the so-called "desirable" cities aren't overwhelmingly Democrat because of all the low-paying service jobs supporting the tourists and rich people.

The rich guy might vote Republican, but his maid, nanny, yard guys and his Starbucks barista vote Democrat.  And so do the teachers that teach all their kids.

Wed, Dec 22, 2021 1:21 PM
posted by gut

I wonder if the so-called "desirable" cities aren't overwhelmingly Democrat because of all the low-paying service jobs supporting the tourists and rich people.

The rich guy might vote Republican, but his maid, nanny, yard guys and his Starbucks barista vote Democrat.  And so do the teachers that teach all their kids.

Maybe? No clue  

Only one I'm any familiar with is Bethesda as I have family there, and it's not a very touristy place. So I would doubt that's the case there. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, Dec 22, 2021 1:21 PM

You don’t have google? 

Also, I did cities not states. There’s probably at least one city in every state you could manage to live in. The whole state? Nah. 

Also, those areas didn’t become undesirable or real estate would correlate, right? 

I’m making a point. You’re trying to have your cake and eat it too with your argument.  You’re down playing policy (I.e making places more expensive) for the reason people are leaving, yet you conveniently leave out the fact why people are entering red states (hint: policy). A lot of these “blue/purple” states and cities getting new residents were once red. No one is denying your argument about supply/demand. You’re just being challenged on your straight denial of how policy has contributed to these outcomes.

I go back to my first comment. I can’t tell if you actually think this argument is as strong as your argument about crime or you’re just playing devils advocate, because this site is too conservative for your tastes.

Wed, Dec 22, 2021 1:30 PM
posted by like_that

I’m making a point. You’re trying to have your cake and eat it too with your argument.  You’re down playing policy (I.e making places more expensive) for the reason people are leaving, yet you conveniently leave out the fact why people are entering red states (hint: policy). A lot of these “blue/purple” states and cities getting new residents were once red. No one is denying your argument about supply/demand. You’re just being challenged on your straight denial of how policy has contributed to these outcomes.

I go back to my first comment. I can’t tell if you actually think this argument is as strong as your argument about crime or you’re just playing devils advocate, because this site is too conservative for your tastes.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m saying it’s too nuanced to say. “Look look look ! People are leaving California bc of the liberals” or “hey guyz democrats are why these big cities aren’t safe!!!”  which you know the two  who shared the links believes. You just happened to respond so I assume you agree with them? 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 22, 2021 1:59 PM

In most cases, the overwhelming driver of higher tax burdens is because of overly generous pensions handed out by progressive governments.

Then you also have ridiculous policies, in places like CA, that contribute to housing shortages and massive hikes in COL as a result.

And, yeah, I can definitely see people leaving because of high tax burdens they were well aware of when they moved there.  Besides most people not having any grasp of COL until they wonder where all the money went in their bank account, it's also the case most people's careers don't progress to substantially higher salaries they expected/hoped to one day make to be able to enjoy the city.  I've had more than a few people tell me "turns out NY is a pretty great place to live if you make enough money..."

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 22, 2021 1:59 PM

Did you read it? Holy misleading chart Batman. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login