2020 Presidential Election thread

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, May 16, 2019 10:33 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

So Bill deBlasio has made it official that he will be running for president, also. 

Can never have too many commies.

BoatShoes Senior Member
5,991 posts 23 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 17, 2019 12:06 PM
posted by like_that

Who are you voting for in this primary?  Biden?

Probably. I like Steve Bullock (Governor of Montana who just got in) as a guy who could maybe pull off a Bill Clinton style win that nobody expects and have a shot at being the "normal person" contrast to Trump that I think we need to win but given that Ohio will be long after Iowa and New Hampshire, Biden will probably have my vote. I'm skeptical he is the Trump slayer in the Midwest that people hope/believe he is but in the crowd of non-contenders trying to get rich he's probably the one with the best shot. 

I also like Jay Insley Gov. of Washington but I think he'll be considered "coastal far-left dem" too. IMHO we need someone from the Midwest or with Midwest appeal (supposedly Biden). And with Biden well, I don't think Midwesterners have as great a memory of the Obama years despite Trump's daily embarrassments that he is the golden ticket Dem voters think he is. 

My sense is that Biden/Harris probably gives us the best shot at challenging Trump in Wisconsin, Michigan and PA while holding the SJW's at bay who would tank it from the left. But, not feeling good about the Dem chances overall. 

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 17, 2019 3:13 PM
posted by BoatShoes

But, not feeling good about the Dem chances overall. 

To beat Trump is simple:

1.) Don't be crazy
2.) Stop telling us that the post office should do your banking for you
3.) Stay away from the Tumblr/Twitter ideology
4.) Stop offering everything free. The people who this appeals to are the ones who will have their own backs broke from it.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 17, 2019 3:39 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

To beat Trump is simple:

I don't think it's ever easy to beat an incumbent when the economy is doing well.  We have 18 months to go yet, and in June we will tie the record (120 months) for the longest economic expansion on record.  There are no signs we'll have a recession before the election, but it might be pretty close.  I think it's only possible, ironically, because of the underachieving growth under Obama.

So the economy is a big loser for Dems.  And running on identity politics was a major factor for losing in 2016.  The more they continue to pursue collusion/obstruction seems to only make Trump stronger.

So, what, they're going to run on healthcare, the healthcare THEY gave us?  They have to go single payer because it's the only way they can distance themselves from Obamacare.

I don't think "free college" is a winner, either, because that's going to seem really unfair to a huge percentage of the population that paid their own way.

So the big question is what are the winning issues for Dems?  Healthcare, abortion?  And foreign policy I suppose (although, to be fair, Trump has pretty much the same track-record as Obama).

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 17, 2019 3:40 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

To beat Trump is simple:

1.) Don't be crazy
2.) Stop telling us that the post office should do your banking for you
3.) Stay away from the Tumblr/Twitter ideology
4.) Stop offering everything free. The people who this appeals to are the ones who will have their own backs broke from it.

5) Don't be someone who a legitimate case can be made is a worse human being than Trump (see 2016).

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 17, 2019 4:23 PM

Don't forget: 6. Actually be able to hold your own against him in public speaking.

Dude tore through everyone because he had no issues with mocking, belittling and so on; while they all seemed confused as hell as to how they should react, allowing him to look like the tough, decisive candidate. He'd go on rampages while Cruz, Bush, Rubio, Hillary, etc. just had this deer in the headlights look and only could respond in lame-ass ways, like Hillary's commercial broadcasting shit Trump had said while showing small kids looking shocked.

Fri, May 17, 2019 5:24 PM

@Heretic

That shouldn't really be an issue this time around, should it? None of it is new and shocking anymore. The dems (and to a small percentage, repubs too) have become accustomed to it. They've also had ample time to prepare for it and come up with like responses - if they so choose. I think the best thing they can do is give him dead stares and continue to talk in a rational manner. People are sick of Trump and I don't think his schtick will continue to work.

gut Senior Member
Fri, May 17, 2019 5:36 PM

Biden will hold his own.  Go back to the 2012 VP debate against Paul Ryan.  Biden didn't resort to name-calling, but he otherwise talked over and bullied Ryan...and most of the chuckleheads claimed he won that debate. 

That's when I realized that substance is completely irrelevant in debates - decorum is viewed as weak, while bullying is viewed as strength and leadership.  And that's exactly the script Trump followed throughout the 2016 cycle.  Winning is about turning out your base and convincing theirs to stay home, and in that respect mud-slinging and personal attacks are quite effective.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Fri, May 17, 2019 6:50 PM
posted by gut

Biden will hold his own.  Go back to the 2012 VP debate against Paul Ryan.  Biden didn't resort to name-calling, but he otherwise talked over and bullied Ryan...and most of the chuckleheads claimed he won that debate. 

That's when I realized that substance is completely irrelevant in debates - decorum is viewed as weak, while bullying is viewed as strength and leadership.  And that's exactly the script Trump followed throughout the 2016 cycle.  Winning is about turning out your base and convincing theirs to stay home, and in that respect mud-slinging and personal attacks are quite effective.

Biden will not hold his own.  He is a bumbling idiot hot head.

gut Senior Member
Fri, May 17, 2019 7:21 PM
posted by Spock

Biden will not hold his own.  He is a bumbling idiot hot head.

The irony

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, May 18, 2019 9:32 AM
posted by Spock

He is a bumbling idiot hot head.

This is a valid description of Trump as well. 

BoatShoes Senior Member
5,991 posts 23 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, May 18, 2019 6:35 PM
posted by gut

It all depends. Kaine kind of tried to bully over pence and looked like a whiny bitch. 

Trueblue23 BASEDgod
7,504 posts 16 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, May 19, 2019 3:04 AM
posted by jmog

This is a valid description of Trump as well. 

You're right, but Trump is the Golden State of that kind of behavior... they'll never beat him playing his game.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, May 19, 2019 7:41 AM

Bernie out there comparing baseball players salaries to teachers. What a dope.

Sun, May 19, 2019 9:25 AM

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs, Stan" lolcow

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, May 19, 2019 9:36 AM
posted by iclfan2

Bernie out there comparing baseball players salaries to teachers. What a dope.

Get back to me when 30,000 people show up to watch Mrs. Evans teach English, Bernard.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sun, May 19, 2019 10:52 AM
posted by BoatShoes

Probably. I like Steve Bullock (Governor of Montana who just got in) as a guy who could maybe pull off a Bill Clinton style win that nobody expects and have a shot at being the "normal person" contrast to Trump that I think we need to win but given that Ohio will be long after Iowa and New Hampshire, Biden will probably have my vote. I'm skeptical he is the Trump slayer in the Midwest that people hope/believe he is but in the crowd of non-contenders trying to get rich he's probably the one with the best shot. 

I also like Jay Insley Gov. of Washington but I think he'll be considered "coastal far-left dem" too. IMHO we need someone from the Midwest or with Midwest appeal (supposedly Biden). And with Biden well, I don't think Midwesterners have as great a memory of the Obama years despite Trump's daily embarrassments that he is the golden ticket Dem voters think he is. 

My sense is that Biden/Harris probably gives us the best shot at challenging Trump in Wisconsin, Michigan and PA while holding the SJW's at bay who would tank it from the left. But, not feeling good about the Dem chances overall. 

My friend (works on campaigns) was telling me back in September he was considering working for his campaign in Montana.  I had no idea who the guy was and said he will have 0 chance of winning.  I stand by that statement.  The days of those type candidates for the Democratic party are long gone.  Joe Biden is the last hurrah and the closest you're going to get imo.  He is also the best shot of beating Trump. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Sun, May 19, 2019 11:29 AM
posted by justincredible

Get back to me when 30,000 people show up to watch Mrs. Evans teach English, Bernard.

i lol'd at this

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 22, 2019 3:24 PM

Biden campaign pitch: Make America Normal Again...

That ought to go over real well with the LGBTQRSTUV crowd…

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 22, 2019 3:28 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Biden campaign pitch: Make America Normal Again...

That ought to go over real well with the LGBTQRSTUV crowd…

You sure you got all of the letters in there?

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login