2020 Presidential Election thread

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 25, 2019 6:34 AM

Damn Tulsi Gabbard has the brass!

I can't see myself ever voting for her on most issues but I love this woman!

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 25, 2019 7:41 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

Franklin Graham:

Presidential candidate & South Bend Mayor @PeteButtigieg is right—God doesn’t have a political party. But God does have commandments, laws & standards He gives us to live by. God doesn’t change. His Word is the same yesterday, today & forever. 1/3

Mayor Buttigieg says he’s a gay Christian. As a Christian I believe the Bible which defines homosexuality as sin, something to be repentant of, not something to be flaunted, praised or politicized. The Bible says marriage is between a man & a woman—not two men, not two women. 2/3

The core of the Christian faith is believing and following Jesus Christ, who God sent to be the Savior of the world—to save us from sin, to save us from hell, to save us from eternal damnation 3/3

Yes, lets hear more about how left the left has gotten

Explain what Graham said that was “insane”? He stated exactly what the Bible actually says and added opinion that Buttigieg is flaunting his homosexuality (Graham maybe wrong here as Buttigieg has really only flaunted it in the Pence feud). 

You believe this is “far right” but in reality this belief was exactly the belief of most/all conservatives just a decade ago. Just because the left and the moderates have drifted left and Graham has stayed the “same” over the last 10 years doesn’t mean he has gone more right. It means he appears to be more right because everyone else has gone left. 

His view and statement are 100% consistent with conservatives of a decade ago or more. Anecdotal Evidence that the “right” has stayed right where they are. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Apr 25, 2019 7:43 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen an anti-war Democrat.

jmog Senior Member
Thu, Apr 25, 2019 7:48 AM
posted by BoatShoes

You say "The Modern Left wants to shut down speech". Where are the libs with power advocating the force of gov't to restrict conservative speech? SJW's calling people the latest "-ist" on the internet - while I find it stupid - is not even jn the same universe.

There is no movement in the American left to make the GOVERNMENT regulate speech or microagressions or other SJW crap. Again, internet SJW's complaining on twitter, Facebook and blogs nobody reads about what X conservative said being triggering - while idiocy - is not the same as the American left enacting Chinese style gov't regulation of speech, etc.

So this "facist left" really is a phantom menace. There is no one in the American left that wants to use the force of gov't to suppress speech. Idiotic SJW activists in their private, free capacity protesting and using their own free speech to call conservatives racists, etc. is not the same as wanting the gov't to disallow speech deemed offensive. 

I know of no elected Democrat calling for gov't to make content-based restrictions on the first Amendment. 

But hey DJT on the other hand has on multiple occasions floated the prospect of taking away FCC licenses from critical liberal media organizations. But hey, let's worry about liberal nobodies! 

The only issue I can think of where the SJW's have even approached what you suggest - I.e. trying to get gov't to regulate speech related activity offensive to SJW's is in the harassment of "Christian" enterprises that refuse to cater to gays via Civil Rights litigation - and they are losing. 

Did you not see Clinton call Trump voters all the “ists” in her “basket of deplorables?”

How about Talib openly calling a republican member of Congress IN A HEARING racist?

About to leave for work or I would list more examples. Maybe later tonight. 

Thu, Apr 25, 2019 8:47 AM

Bernie Sanders out there conflating a terrorist's right to vote by scolding racism. He's tying in his position on everybody in prison voting to legislation that Florida just passed.

Breaking news: The Florida House passed legislation that would require people to pay financial obligations as part of their criminal sentence before they can vote again. Bill requires repayment, even if obligation has been converted to a civil lien. The vote was 71-45

To a certain extent he could have a good argument, particularly when a family is generationally poor and can't seem to find a way out of it. But he's focusing all of his points to conflating that the worst of society not being able to vote while in prison to default racism. 

Tsarnaev brothers and Timothy McVeigh. Both committed horrible acts of terrorism. But if we're playing the racism game, one of these things is not like the other. The argument, IMO, is lost right then and there.

People on both sides of the political spectrum have been shouting from the rooftops that the only thing it will take to beat Trump is to not be crazy. And nobody in the public eye seems to have ears that can hear.

jmog Senior Member
Thu, Apr 25, 2019 9:04 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

So far Tulsi is my favorite Democrat candidate by far. Buttigieg is second but Tulsi is smart, against “nation building wars”, and I don’t have to agree with all of her positions to believe she is a good person and would do what is/she believes is morally right. 

Unfortunately with today’s DNC she has no shot at the nomination. 

Thu, Apr 25, 2019 9:20 AM
posted by jmog

So far Tulsi is my favorite Democrat candidate by far. Buttigieg is second but Tulsi is smart, against “nation building wars”, and I don’t have to agree with all of her positions to believe she is a good person and would do what is/she believes is morally right. 

Unfortunately with today’s DNC she has no shot at the nomination. 

Oh I highly doubt she'll see the main debate stage. Everybody will be forced to either watch her at 11pm or on youtube.

FatHobbit Senior Member
9,058 posts 68 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 25, 2019 10:50 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

She's right in this case. We are funding and supporting our own enemies. (As we often do) 

Thu, Apr 25, 2019 10:56 AM
posted by FatHobbit

She's right in this case. We are funding and supporting our own enemies. (As we often do) 

Indeed, it's absurd.  You don't have to look any further than the Vietnam to realize what we are doing does not work. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 25, 2019 12:47 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Funny, she has says nothing about Iran or Syria being the other players that spread terror in the region. Her glowing remarks about Assad and his role in the civil war is pretty bad. I give her some credit, but her warm thoughts on Syria are inexecusable. 

posted by like_that

? Do you not remember Obama in 2008? Obama ran on anti-war and then once he got into office, figured out the reality of being anti-war. 

How about Clinton in 92? 

Thu, Apr 25, 2019 1:01 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Funny, she has says nothing about Iran or Syria being the other players that spread terror in the region. Her glowing remarks about Assad and his role in the civil war is pretty bad. 

posted by like_that

? Do you not remember Obama in 2008? Obama ran on anti-war and then once he got into office, figured out the reality of being anti-war. 

How about Clinton in 92? 

I guess my point went over your head?  I clearly remember when Dems were anti war when it was useful to them. Especially when they wanted to dump trash on neocon Bush, Chaney and all of their cronies.

Obama comes in and drones the fuck out of the Middle East.... not a peep from the same anti war crew. It must be nice to have the media and sheep in the bag that badly. 

Thu, Apr 25, 2019 1:01 PM
posted by FatHobbit

That's the name of the game. We need dirty allies to offset the bigger threats. It was one of the main reasons we were able to win the Cold War. 

Hell, even go back to World War II. We were allies with the Soviets against the bigger threat, the Nazis. 

I'd rather be in a shady partnership with Pakistan so they do not run to China more and more as an example. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 25, 2019 1:03 PM
posted by jmog

Explain what Graham said that was “insane”? He stated exactly what the Bible actually says and added opinion that Buttigieg is flaunting his homosexuality (Graham maybe wrong here as Buttigieg has really only flaunted it in the Pence feud). 

You believe this is “far right” but in reality this belief was exactly the belief of most/all conservatives just a decade ago. Just because the left and the moderates have drifted left and Graham has stayed the “same” over the last 10 years doesn’t mean he has gone more right. It means he appears to be more right because everyone else has gone left. 

His view and statement are 100% consistent with conservatives of a decade ago or more. Anecdotal Evidence that the “right” has stayed right where they are. 

I do enjoy a good "See it's the left that's moving, the right has always been the haven for prejudiced people hiding behind a book to justify their beliefs!" argument!

Thu, Apr 25, 2019 1:07 PM
posted by like_that

I guess my point went over your head?  I clearly remember when Dems were anti war when it was useful to them. Especially when they wanted to dump trash on neocon Bush, Chaney and all of their cronies.

Obama comes in and drones the fuck out of the Middle East.... not a peep from the same anti war crew. It must be nice to have the media and sheep in the bag that badly. 

You are correct in 08. But, I would say when Obama got into office and realized he could not be anti-war, he switched up his positions, rightly I might add. Also, some of the far left still critized him over the years for his drone strikes. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 25, 2019 1:12 PM
posted by Heretic

I do enjoy a good "See it's the left that's moving, the right has always been the haven for prejudiced people hiding behind a book to justify their beliefs!" argument!

If you want to be technical about it. the church as a whole has moved a lot more tolerance than they were 10-15 years ago. So that doesn't really support the right moving more right. Anyone shocked by Billy Graham's son saying homosexuality is wrong is not being truthful.

I'd also like to add that I think it is stupid for people like him to pick and choose sins to complain about.

jmog Senior Member
Thu, Apr 25, 2019 1:22 PM
posted by Heretic

Saying the Bible calls homosexuality a sin is not prejudiced. It is stating what the Bible actually says. I don’t agree with how or why Graham said any of that but what he said is not incorrect with regards to what the Bible says. 

What Graham got wrong is insinuating (he didn’t say it, but it was implied) that a homosexual can’t be a Christian because the Bible calls it a sin. Well, that would eliminate all of us from being Christians because we have all sinned. 

Thu, Apr 25, 2019 2:33 PM

It would be nice if jesus, muhammad, etc resurrected every 12-18 months to do a reddit AMA.  It would solve so many issues. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 25, 2019 2:56 PM
posted by like_that

It would be nice if jesus, muhammad, etc resurrected every 12-18 months to do a reddit AMA.  It would solve so many issues. 

Ah, the minute one of them said something that contradicted the beliefs of their diehards, they'd be called a fake.

fish82 Senior Member
4,402 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Apr 26, 2019 6:50 AM

jmog Senior Member
Fri, Apr 26, 2019 10:38 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

She is right, but that “unholy alliance” goes back decades, it didn’t start in 2017. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login