2021 Olympics Thread

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 1:37 PM

Re: Biles. I mean, the number of medals and championships she's won does say that, regardless of this year, she is the GOAT. She's also 24, which is old as fuck for that sport, which probably means she's isn't consistently going to always be the same gymnast she's been, which does lead to things like fucking up an event and getting overwhelmed by the pressure to meet up to your standards.

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 2:39 PM
posted by Heretic

Re: Biles. I mean, the number of medals and championships she's won does say that, regardless of this year, she is the GOAT. She's also 24, which is old as fuck for that sport, which probably means she's isn't consistently going to always be the same gymnast she's been, which does lead to things like fucking up an event and getting overwhelmed by the pressure to meet up to your standards.

It still isn't fair to her teammates or to the girl that could have been on the team.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 2:40 PM

Nice to see that people are concerned about mental health after an 18 month hiatus. 

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 2:59 PM
posted by like_that

Nice to see that people are concerned about mental health after an 18 month hiatus. 

Not a tennis fan?

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 2:59 PM
posted by like_that

Wasn’t sad to see Osaka lose…

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 3:37 PM

Sounds like she did the right thing by not performing if her confidence wasn’t there. The alternates were performing better than her so she stepped aside. Sounds like a good teammate. Doesn’t seem like a sport you can do well without being dialed in but I’m not an expert at gymnastics as some here lol but 24 is a dinosaur in gymnastics . 

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 4:24 PM

I mean, lets just call it what it was...she choked. Did she make the right decision to pull out after that? Yes. Was she under ridiculous pressure to be perfect for the team? Yes. Was it mentally impossible to carry that weight and causing serious issues? Likely.

All that aside, what happened is the definition of a choke-job. She was stressed about competition, went out and sucked at it. 

geeblock Member
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 4:39 PM
posted by Laley23

I mean, lets just call it what it was...she choked. Did she make the right decision to pull out after that? Yes. Was she under ridiculous pressure to be perfect for the team? Yes. Was it mentally impossible to carry that weight and causing serious issues? Likely.

All that aside, what happened is the definition of a choke-job. She was stressed about competition, went out and sucked at it. 

Not disagreeing with you but it’s a pretty unique situation, not like u get 4 quarters or a seven game series. 

That seems like the age where most gymnasts quit, not because they can’t do it athletically but because fear creeps in on the jumps and you have to be fearless to do some of the things they do. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 4:44 PM
posted by Ironman92

Cool

https://fb.watch/6-XjvEjkgH/

I saw somewhere there is exactly 1 50m pool in the whole state of Alaska. Quite an accomplishment for the 17 year old.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 4:56 PM

Softball lost gold….seems like same team from 3 Olympics ago

Softball going downhill in the US…despite the insane travel ball numbers

geeblock Member
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 5:03 PM
posted by Ironman92

Softball lost gold….seems like same team from 3 Olympics ago

Softball going downhill in the US…despite the insane travel ball numbers

They lost to the same team as well 

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 5:07 PM

Their offense was really miserable. I think I heard announcers say through five games they only scored nine runs? Which turned into nine runs over six games I guess bexause they were shut out in the championship on like 4-5 hits.

Al Bundy Senior Member
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 5:08 PM
posted by geeblock

Sounds like she did the right thing by not performing if her confidence wasn’t there. The alternates were performing better than her so she stepped aside. Sounds like a good teammate. Doesn’t seem like a sport you can do well without being dialed in but I’m not an expert at gymnastics as some here lol but 24 is a dinosaur in gymnastics . 

I'm not sure that it takes a gymnastics expert to know that it is wrong to quit on your teammates.

geeblock Member
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 5:49 PM
posted by Al Bundy

I'm not sure that it takes a gymnastics expert to know that it is wrong to quit on your teammates.

Lol the irony 

Al Bundy Senior Member
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 9:49 PM
posted by geeblock

Lol the irony 

If you ever played a sport, you would understand.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 1:07 AM
posted by Laley23

This. You can go the “she helped her team” route or use any other excuse, but she choked. The best gymnast in the world couldn’t couldn’t compete at the highest level and help her team due to what is going on between her ears.

If this happened with any other athlete in any sport, it would be considered a choke. Imagine Tom Brady or Lebron doing the same thing in the SB/NBA finals. They would get dragged. You don’t need to attack Simone the person, but as an athlete she choked.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 8:03 AM

Apply the Biles logic to Tom Brady coming out at half time without his helmet and watch his team lose the super bowl.  

He would have to move out of the US because the media would be abusing him hard.  

geeblock Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 10:37 AM

Reports are she struggled because the floor was white and the ceiling was white 

geeblock Member
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 10:39 AM
posted by Al Bundy

If you ever played a sport, you would understand.

You do realize they won the silver medal. If she had performed badly you wouldn’t be saying well she tried for her team, you would be dragging her for costing her team a medal. 

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Wed, Jul 28, 2021 10:46 AM
posted by geeblock

Reports are she struggled because the floor was white and the ceiling was white 

you cant be serious???

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login