Covid-19 discussion, continued...

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 92 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 13, 2021 4:13 PM
posted by like_that

I thought I had seen where Pfizer and Moderna only tested people who were symptomatic.  And that's why people need to continue to wear masks even after being vaccinated, because it's unknown what rate still get asymptomatic cases and whether they are then infectious.

If you get an asymptomatic or very mild case, then big deal.  However, if it's not actually very effective at preventing an infection then it creates many opportunities for the virus to continue to mutate.

Fletch Member
0 posts 0 reps Joined Nov 2020
Wed, Jan 13, 2021 8:01 PM
posted by like_that

33% doesn’t seem very high.  I thought they were touting over 50% effectiveness after 1st dose
gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 92 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 13, 2021 10:16 PM
posted by Fletch
33% doesn’t seem very high.  I thought they were touting over 50% effectiveness after 1st dose

I think it's poorly worded.  I don't think they are saying 33% effective, just noting a 33% decrease in cases since immunizations started.

Some of that would probably be attributable to coming off a post-holiday peek in cases.  But they've already vaccinated about 1/5th of their population....so all this really says is it's working.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 311 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Jan 14, 2021 12:05 AM
posted by Fletch

33% is just the drop in COVID infections after 14 days of the first dose.  That's a pretty good return, especially when their entire country hasn't been vaccinated.   I hope we see the same in the US and other countries. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login