QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 11:47 AM
posted by QuakerOats

https://www.foxnews.com/media/coronavirus-pandemic-recovery-optimistic-ny-times

Imagine that

Shocking. Hitler's looking up from hell and saying, "man, I was 80 years too early. I could've taken these virus worriers in no time."

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 1:09 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Has there been any significant progress made? I feel like I haven't heard anything about vaccines in months. Is there any type of testing readily available that doesn't require driving up somewhere and having a swab up your nose only to get the results days later? 

There’s places you can drive up in Columbus now and have results in about 30 mins

Tue, Oct 13, 2020 1:10 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Ohio doesn’t test asymptomatic people though ? These are people who are sick.

I can have zero symptoms and get tested in Columbus 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 1:12 PM
posted by sportchampps

There’s places you can drive up in Columbus now and have results in about 30 mins

yes for the rapid tests

Tue, Oct 13, 2020 1:14 PM
posted by geeblock

yes for the rapid tests

Yeah I know a couple people who have got their results before they even got back home. 

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 1:17 PM

All depends on where you're located. You can get a free rapid test here at most walk in urgent cares (with insurance). 

Swab to the brain, then you come back in 20 min for results. I plan on getting one in a few weeks before seeing my parents. I think no insurance involves with one with longer results.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 1:19 PM
posted by sportchampps

I can have zero symptoms and get tested in Columbus 

I guess Akron area is still in the Stone Age? 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 1:27 PM

I guess Akron area is still in the Stone Age? 

technically when we signed up we had to say at least one symptom.  I checked headache

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 2:11 PM

If I have no symptoms, I don't think I'd ever get tested.

Tue, Oct 13, 2020 2:29 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

If I have no symptoms, I don't think I'd ever get tested.

I wouldn't. Unless you're seriously symptomatic, I would never get tested.  

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 4:04 PM

Ohio doesn’t test asymptomatic people though ? These are people who are sick.

Not true, anyone can go to any of the testing centers now and get themselves tested even if they are asymptomatic.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 4:08 PM

It got Ronaldo :-(

Tue, Oct 13, 2020 4:13 PM
posted by jmog

Not true, anyone can go to any of the testing centers now and get themselves tested even if they are asymptomatic.

Well I’m 0-2 so it doesn’t appear that just anyone can go to any testing center and get one? It looks like that’s only true for the 1 days sites the state sets up referenced by Justin. 

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 4:20 PM

Well I’m 0-2 so it doesn’t appear that just anyone can go to any testing center and get one? It looks like that’s only true for the 1 days sites the state sets up referenced by Justin. 

Can’t you just lie about your symptoms and get the test? Just say you do have a fever or you’re short of breath. 

Tue, Oct 13, 2020 4:21 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Can’t you just lie about your symptoms and get the test? Just say you do have a fever or you’re short of breath. 

Looks like I’d have to. My symptoms aren’t what they care about. 

Fab4Runner Tits McGee
6,997 posts 64 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 4:22 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I wouldn't. Unless you're seriously symptomatic, I would never get tested.  

I think it's a good idea if you plan to be around a large group of people, especially if any of them are high risk. (Think weddings, reunions, grad parties, etc.) 

I also think it's a good idea after said get togethers, or after being around a lot of people on vacation. Obviously if you can isolate afterward, there would be no need, but if I was at a wedding and then wanted to go see my mom, I'd get tested beforehand. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 5:21 PM

I've not heard anything about how effective the vaccine trials are (although J&J just paused their trial due to an unexplained illness).  Really hoping we get something above 90% effective.

J&J did, however, claim they will have enough data to apply for approval by the end of the year.  Astrazeneca and Moderna have both said they'll be even earlier than that.  And you wouldn't apply for approval if your data didn't meet at least the minimum 50-60% efficacy threshold.

So it looks like things remain on track.  However, there's definitely growing anti-vax concern, nationally, that IMO seems to be driven mainly by the Dems and their media.  Even if it's 100% effective, it doesn't look like enough people are willing to take it to wipe out the virus.

Tue, Oct 13, 2020 5:47 PM
posted by Fab4Runner

I think it's a good idea if you plan to be around a large group of people, especially if any of them are high risk. (Think weddings, reunions, grad parties, etc.) 

I also think it's a good idea after said get togethers, or after being around a lot of people on vacation. Obviously if you can isolate afterward, there would be no need, but if I was at a wedding and then wanted to go see my mom, I'd get tested beforehand. 

Those are good examples to your point.  I just would never get tested for the sake of being tested.  

Tue, Oct 13, 2020 5:50 PM
posted by gut

I've not heard anything about how effective the vaccine trials are (although J&J just paused their trial due to an unexplained illness).  Really hoping we get something above 90% effective.

J&J did, however, claim they will have enough data to apply for approval by the end of the year.  Astrazeneca and Moderna have both said they'll be even earlier than that.  And you wouldn't apply for approval if your data didn't meet at least the minimum 50-60% efficacy threshold.

So it looks like things remain on track.  However, there's definitely growing anti-vax concern, nationally, that IMO seems to be driven mainly by the Dems and their media.  Even if it's 100% effective, it doesn't look like enough people are willing to take it to wipe out the virus.

If getting a vaccine allows me to bypass any of the hang ups in place, I'll get one.  If not, I'm not sure.  At some point I have to believe the virus will die away once it's reached a critical mass of the population.  If we're already on that downward slope when it comes out, I'll have to weigh the benefit of it easing restrictions.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login