Covid-19 discussion, continued...

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 10:18 PM
posted by Ironman92

I’ve not paid attention for over a week and it seems everything is getting canceled.....are cases, hospitalizations and deaths in the U.S. up?

No, all 3 are going down...

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 9, 2020 10:21 PM
posted by Ironman92

I’ve not paid attention for over a week and it seems everything is getting canceled.....are cases, hospitalizations and deaths in the U.S. up?

From my experience: My hospital reopened up the Covid unit a couple months ago. Initially it was 25 beds. Last week it dropped to 20, this weekend to 15, and tomorrow they're closing the Covid ICU part. My wife who works at a couple of the larger area hospitals said both had diminishing ventilator counts and were also reducing their units. I obviously can't speak on what's going on throughout the rest of the state. 

I'm torn on the cancellations. Sometimes I think it's too much. 

Cancelling college football is going to fuck over a lot of people, though. 

OSH Kosh B'Gosh
4,424 posts 18 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 10, 2020 8:51 AM

These are always the numbers I have been interested in. Not downplaying the virus itself. But, nature always wins.

bigorangebuck22 Senior Member
322 posts 6 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 10, 2020 10:02 AM
posted by OSH

These are always the numbers I have been interested in. Not downplaying the virus itself. But, nature always wins.

Maybe the question should be be "Where is the decrease coming from?"

OSH Kosh B'Gosh
4,424 posts 18 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 10, 2020 10:18 AM
posted by bigorangebuck22

Doesn't have to be either/or. Both can be legitimate.

The one that is always a "head slapper" to me is when people attribute to the less deaths because "people are locked in their houses and less murders are committed." Like that's truly a concern for murder.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Mon, Aug 10, 2020 10:21 AM
posted by bigorangebuck22

same with hospital admissions and dr checkups. They were all down during covid. What happened to heart attacks and strokes? I'd imagine a lot of people ignored minor ones to avoid going to a hospital and contracting covid. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 10, 2020 1:06 PM

Well, cases peaked over 3 weeks ago, and it looks like the deaths are finally starting back down.  Long way to go, though, to get this under control.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Aug 11, 2020 8:59 AM

Russia (allegeldy) has a vaccine and Putin's daughter has (allegedly) already taken it.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Tue, Aug 11, 2020 9:02 AM
posted by like_that

Russia (allegeldy) has a vaccine and Putin's daughter has (allegedly) already taken it.

Yea right.......they will give it to a million people too see if they die of it before she gets it

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 11, 2020 9:08 AM
posted by like_that

Yeah I saw that headline and thought no fucking way. 

On another note, I saw this story and study yesterday out of Duke on the effectiveness of different type of masks. Interesting, the neck and gator style masks are largely ineffective. 

https://corporate.dukehealth.org/news/inexpensive-accessible-device-provides-visual-proof-masks-block-droplets

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Tue, Aug 11, 2020 10:11 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

On another note, I saw this story and study yesterday out of Duke on the effectiveness of different type of masks. Interesting, the neck and gator style masks are largely ineffective. 

https://corporate.dukehealth.org/news/inexpensive-accessible-device-provides-visual-proof-masks-block-droplets

Yeah I bought one cuz they’re more comfortable. Then I saw a thing that you shouldn’t be able to blow out a candle with your mask on or it’s ineffective  I had zero problems blowing out the candle with a gaiter on but my mask I couldn’t. 

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Aug 11, 2020 10:13 AM

According to the 2nd link they cut back 50% of the droplets. While that is the worst of all the ones they tested, that is still hardly ineffective.

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Aug 11, 2020 10:16 AM

According to the 2nd link they cut back 50% of the droplets. While that is the worst of all the ones they tested, that is still hardly ineffective.

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 11, 2020 10:44 PM

Did I read this right, that New York isn’t counting Covid deaths if they die in the hospital? It’s only deaths at home? 

What in the fuck?

Tue, Aug 11, 2020 10:45 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Did I read this right, that New York isn’t counting Covid deaths if they die in the hospital? It’s only deaths at home? 

What in the fuck?

Link?

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 11, 2020 11:22 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Link?

Okay sorry I was reading it wrong. Still think this is wrong though  

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/coronavirus-nursing-home-death-toll-new-york

Wed, Aug 12, 2020 12:06 AM

Sounds like for it to count as a nursing home related death, they have to die inside the nursing home. If they get Covid and go to the hospital and die, it’s a hospital related death. 

I’m sure they have their reasoning, but whatever. A death is death. Everyone knows nursing homes are one of the worst places to be right now whether they want to lie about it or not. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Aug 12, 2020 6:54 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

I’m sure they have their reasoning, but whatever. A death is death. Everyone knows nursing homes are one of the worst places to be right now whether they want to lie about it or not. 

Giving Cuomo the benefit of the doubt is strange. He forced nursing homes to take Covid patients and now downplays the significance of it and hides deaths from the most vulnerable of the population.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Wed, Aug 12, 2020 7:59 AM

Cuomo is a huge POS and the media covering for him is ridiculous.  He literally should be brought up on charges.  He put positive people in homes for 46 straight days.

I think we knew enough about this virus in that time frame to know not to do that but he kept it up.  All the while he had resources that Trump sent like the big military hospital boat that was never used.  

thousands died because he tried to win at politics.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Aug 12, 2020 10:56 AM
posted by Spock

I think we knew enough about this virus in that time frame to know not to do that but he kept it up.  All the while he had resources that Trump sent like the big military hospital boat that was never used. 

To be fair, they were concerned about hospital capacity.  And it's not his fault many of those private nursing homes were un-equipped and incompetent in dealing with this.

Which should be an easy reality to acknowledge, and which he did at one point.  The problem becomes when you had all those additional resources that went unused.  Then it becomes a political issue for which he's trying to spin and cover-up.

The reality is they did a poor job of managing their hospital beds.  This isn't that surprising - technology-wise, the US is well behind in other countries not in medical care, but in how it manages it's medical system and patient records.  It's sort of like your old snail mail managing distribution vs. how Amazon does it.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login