Covid-19 discussion, continued...

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 17, 2020 10:35 PM

The social distance thing is going to be more and more ignored. I’ve already seen three separate instances of huge parties on college campuses and we’re just barely getting back to school. 

Part of me thinks it’s stupid behavior but what did we think was going to happen? Millions of college kids would go back to campus and wear a mask all the time and only go to their dorms, cafeteria, class and that’s it? Come on. And it’s equally lazy for universities to say “Okay we’re bringing students back and they better social distance or else we’ll hit a Covid case number of TBD and shut back down again.” 

I don’t know what the answer is but let’s stop pretending that people are going to social distance forever. 

Mon, Aug 17, 2020 11:29 PM

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/15/forty-percent-of-us-covid-19-tests-come-back-too-late-to-be-clinically-meaningful-data-show.html

Infuriating that six months in and we still haven’t figured this out. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Tue, Aug 18, 2020 7:42 AM

Well if masks work so well.......its been a few weeks now on the mandate.  Shouldnt we be at about zero cases?

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 18, 2020 7:57 AM
posted by Spock

Well if masks work so well.......its been a few weeks now on the mandate.  Shouldnt we be at about zero cases?

Damn you're stupid.

Spock Senior Member
Tue, Aug 18, 2020 8:12 AM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Damn you're stupid.

No, No I'm not.

The logic of the mask is to reduce transmission.  If the incubation period of this virus is up to 14 days, then after 14 days of masks we should see a huge drop in cases.  Maybe 75-80% drop.  

It is obvious that masks dont work as well as people think

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 18, 2020 8:26 AM
posted by Spock

No, No I'm not.

The logic of the mask is to reduce transmission.  If the incubation period of this virus is up to 14 days, then after 14 days of masks we should see a huge drop in cases.  Maybe 75-80% drop.  

Didn’t you just say on this thread that you don’t wear masks? 

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 18, 2020 8:35 AM
posted by Spock

No, No I'm not.

IOW, I'll make up a "passing grade" for masks to be considered "working". BTW, cases HAVE gone done in that time frame, just not by some made up number that allows you to pretend something that isn't true is true.
Tue, Aug 18, 2020 9:04 AM

Pretty hilarious for someone who admits he doesn’t wear a mask (and is definitely not the only one) to say that masks don’t work because the virus isn’t 100% gone since masks were mandated. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Aug 18, 2020 9:57 AM
posted by justincredible

I was thinking the same thing. What was the threshold of acceptable positive tests? Did they not think they were going to hit a number as small as 130 on a college campus?

I also wonder how many were false positives, how many have actual symptoms, etc. 

I don't think we'll ever know the answer to those last couple of questions.  A college campus is almost an ideal environment to let things just be the way they are - i.e. no one has to be present unless they want to be, and you can assume that those who choose to be there are people who do not have underlying conditions that put them at risk.  

If UNC is representative, I can't see how any schools are going to be able to stay open for more than a few weeks.  

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 18, 2020 12:26 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

A college campus is almost an ideal environment to let things just be the way they are - i.e. no one has to be present unless they want to be...

I'm not so sure this is politics as much as a crystallization, to varying degrees, of the concept of personal choice and responsibility (which is something very different than the tard "muh freedom" criticism) vs. the nanny state.

Now, to varying degrees, that is Right vs. Left.  But the latter really has no back-up plan, no alternative if there isn't an effective vaccine.  How would you ever convince people this is something they have to live with, after spending almost a year convincing them they had to stop living in order to stay living?

Tue, Aug 18, 2020 4:32 PM

Wasn’t CC posting multiple posts of “get ready for Ohio HS football/fall sports to be shut down”?

Well it was just announced fall sports are playing. 

Spock Senior Member
Tue, Aug 18, 2020 5:57 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Wasn’t CC posting multiple posts of “get ready for Ohio HS football/fall sports to be shut down”?

No I believe I have always stated that its all going to start and then questioned how long it will last.  There isnt one person in HS sports right now feeling like their seasons are getting all the way to the state tournaments.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 18, 2020 6:27 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Yeah, that was me about 2-3 months ago.  I was mocked.  And, as usual, end-up being right.

Tue, Aug 18, 2020 7:01 PM
posted by Spock

No I believe I have always stated that its all going to start and then questioned how long it will last.  There isnt one person in HS sports right now feeling like their seasons are getting all the way to the state 

posted by Spock

So I hear that the OHSAA is considering moving back fall sports.

Spock Senior Member
Tue, Aug 18, 2020 7:37 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

And are you saying that this has not been part of everyones talking points?  Hell DeWine even has spring options on the table right now.  So thanks for making my point.

Tue, Aug 18, 2020 7:38 PM
posted by gut

Yeah, that was me about 2-3 months ago.  I was mocked.  And, as usual, end-up being right.

Lolwut

Tue, Aug 18, 2020 7:39 PM
posted by Spock

And are you saying that this has not been part of everyones talking points?  Hell DeWine even has spring options on the table right now.  So thanks for making my point.

Yeah, no  

Spock Senior Member
Tue, Aug 18, 2020 8:09 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Yeah, no  

Oh so not one person has talked about cancelling sports or moving them?  STFU....you dont know what you are talking about.

Tue, Aug 18, 2020 8:28 PM
posted by Spock

Oh so not one person has talked about cancelling sports or moving them?  STFU....you dont know what you are talking about.

That’s not the point you idiot. You kept saying you’re hearing that HS sports will be cancelled or postponed, yet it never happened. 

Like anyone would tell the gym teacher the inside sources of the athletic departments  

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 18, 2020 9:04 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

That’s not the point you idiot. You kept saying you’re hearing that HS sports will be cancelled or postponed, yet it never happened. 

Like anyone would tell the gym teacher the inside sources of the athletic departments  

You posted that he said OHSAA was considering moving back fall sports. I think everyone would agree it was probably at least considered. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login