Covid-19 discussion, continued...

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Aug 4, 2020 2:25 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Man, I would love if the U.S. can get down to those numbers. Instead, here we are just stupid and totally fucked this thing all up. 

Even as I was touting how well Maryland was doing, the numbers are creeping up, with over a 1k cases last week. It seems like people are getting lax, especially near beaches and people in their 20s. 

Contrary to belief, most European countries don't have their shit together.  Everywhere I have been and my friends/coworkers, we see people are not following mask guidelines or social distancing guidelines.   My guess is if you came to Europe, you would notice people doing the same exact shit they are doing in the US.  

The fact the US mutation is more contagious in the US is playing a large role in this imo. 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 4, 2020 2:30 PM

DeWine called for masks for all grades

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 4, 2020 2:32 PM
posted by like_that

The fact the US mutation is more contagious in the US is playing a large role in this imo. 

Bingo.  Just look at MLB - one or two people infect over a dozen within days.

And while that, along with college outbreaks, make for sensational headlines, what you're not seeing reported is how many of those people are ending up in the hospital.  Because that answer is basically zero.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Aug 4, 2020 2:34 PM
posted by Ironman92

DeWine called for masks for all grades

Completely pointless to ask grade school kids to wear masks.  If that really matters, you might as well just go 100% virtual because otherwise it's an exercise in futility.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Aug 4, 2020 2:57 PM
posted by gut

Bingo.  Just look at MLB - one or two people infect over a dozen within days.

And while that, along with college outbreaks, make for sensational headlines, what you're not seeing reported is how many of those people are ending up in the hospital.  Because that answer is basically zero.

Agreed.  Some school in Indiana opened last week.  The USA Today had a headline "An Indiana school reopened for students.  There was a positive COVID-19 test on day one".  Well no shit, a virus spreads. As you say, headlines like this are going to be everywhere in the next few weeks.  What will be harder to find is the follow-up of these cases and how many turn serious.  MLB is a good barometer for this.  You'd think the entire St. Louis Cardinal squad was soon to die based upon the 13 positive cases that have been found.  In reality, the club reported yesterday that 5 were asymptomatic and 8 had "sniffles" and some had mild grade fever.  

gut Senior Member
Tue, Aug 4, 2020 3:23 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

You'd think the entire St. Louis Cardinal squad was soon to die based upon the 13 positive cases that have been found.  In reality, the club reported yesterday that 5 were asymptomatic and 8 had "sniffles" and some had mild grade fever.  

I did see that.  Unless anyone ends up in the hospital, you won't see much more on that aspect.  But it might be a bit premature yet - I think it takes about 1-2 weeks for it to progress to needing hospitalization, if that's the case.

I just remember hearing that 30+ Clemson players tested positive.  School said no one was hospitalized, but I never heard anything more.  I'm sure if just one player was hospitalized for even a day CNN would cover it non-stop for a week.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Wed, Aug 5, 2020 10:03 AM
posted by like_that

I was more so thinking "mandate" as in they can't force anyone to take it.  I did not think about the schools/businesses/etc angle. 

If anyone is familiar with HIPAA, could businesses or public services (i.e. metro) require people to provide proof they have the vaccine? 

The HIPAA Privacy Rule permits providers to share immunization records with public health officials for public health purposes as otherwise authorized by law. Under the VFC statute, at 42 U.S.C.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
gut Senior Member
Wed, Aug 5, 2020 3:56 PM
posted by QuakerOats

https://www.foxnews.com/media/alex-berenson-sun-belt-coronavirus-spike-lockdowns

'Lockdowns don't work'

That guy claims they never locked down, but I'm pretty sure about the end of June when hospitalizations were surging those states closed bars, beaches and restricted restaurants.  Pretty much a return to stage 2 or whatever.
justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 12:36 PM

DeWine tested positive.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 12:41 PM
posted by justincredible

DeWine tested positive.

Social media should have a field day with that. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 2:04 PM
posted by justincredible

DeWine tested positive.

Should have stayed in the basement with Biden.

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 2:19 PM
posted by justincredible

DeWine tested positive.

I bet he was at a bar with a drink at 10:01

Devils Advocate Brudda o da bomber
4,899 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 2:20 PM

As opposed to being in the “closet” with Trump?

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:11 PM

Another day over 1000 deaths and we are over 160k deaths. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:16 PM

Another day over 1000 deaths and we are over 160k deaths. 

Or...

Deaths (and cases) are trending down once again.

Both yours and mine are true statements, which one actuall exemplifies what is really going on?

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:18 PM
posted by jmog

Or...

Deaths (and cases) are trending down once again.

Both yours and mine are true statements, which one actuall exemplifies what is really going on?

Both. 

Deaths, people in the hospital, and cases are down yes. Good news and I hope it continues to go down. 

However, we are still above 1000 deaths a day and over 160k in deaths. 

gut Senior Member
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:27 PM

Both. 

Deaths, people in the hospital, and cases are down yes. Good news and I hope it continues to go down. 

I'm not real optimistic.  As soon as we re-open bars and restaurants everything will spike again.  Summer winding down might reduce it some, at least in the north/midwest.

It's just shocking how easily this spreads.  And looking at prisons where over 80% of the population got it, there's little (if any) natural immunity.

Fortunately, I'd guess treatments and therapeutics have significantly reduced that 0.5% mortality rate, maybe to something more inline with the flu.

gut Senior Member
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:31 PM

I was a "little" off on the economic damage.  Q2 GDP shrunk by about $1.5T. 

If everyone in the US got it, a 0.5% mortality rate would be @ 1.7M deaths.  With similar fallout in Q3 we're running at about $2M+ already for every life saved.

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:55 PM

Both. 

I would have thought it would have been higher than half the number of deaths due to heart disease per day

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login