Progressives, part 3...

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jun 13, 2021 9:29 PM
posted by Al Bundy

Many of the disadvantages listed are due to people being poor more than it is their race. The children of wealthy black parents are going to have advantages over the children of poor white parents. 

100% factual information, don’t let Geeblock know.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Sun, Jun 13, 2021 9:40 PM
posted by jmog

1. I only resort to snide remarks when someone says something utterly stupid.  You have yet to do that in this conversation.

2. You are conflating back and forth individual racism and a society/government based on white supremacy. Racism and white supremacy obviously still exists and didn’t stop in the 1960s. I never said it did. I said that the government didn’t sponsor racism and/or wasn’t run by a “cloud” of white supremacy anymore. That is the part that CRT, and yourself, still screws up. It assumes the government and society as a whole is still run by white supremacy which is so far from accurate. And you are the one that is asking for accurate history.

The government is run by people not robots. I guess maybe I don’t necessarily agree that the “still” is what it is saying but rather the ripples that were created that still have effect today unintentional or intentional. That’s the way it was put forth to me. 

Anyway good convo, headed to bed so I can get up and teach Marxism in summer school tomorrow! Joking obviously lol 

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jun 13, 2021 9:55 PM
posted by geeblock

The government is run by people not robots. I guess maybe I don’t necessarily agree that the “still” is what it is saying but rather the ripples that were created that still have effect today unintentional or intentional. That’s the way it was put forth to me. 

Anyway good convo, headed to bed so I can get up and teach Marxism in summer school tomorrow! Joking obviously lol 

Some individuals in government may still be racist, but it isn't limited to white government officials. The mayor of Chicago currently refuses to speak to white reporters. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 9:40 AM
posted by iclfan2

Oh ok. Super good argument. 

I would say 99% chance gblock read a Twitter thread from some dude who works for the root, which now has emboldened him to tell people (white) they don’t know what it is. 

I’d give it about .01% chance gblock knows what crt actually teaches.  As I said earlier, if you don’t understand basic US history, how can you even understand something as “complex” as CRT that gblock is trying to make it out to be?

geeblock Member
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 10:51 AM

posted by like_that

I would say 99% chance gblock read a Twitter thread from some dude who works for the root, which now has emboldened him to tell people (white) they don’t know what it is. 

I’d give it about .01% chance gblock knows what crt actually teaches.  As I said earlier, if you don’t understand basic US history, how can you even understand something as “complex” as CRT that gblock is trying to make it out to be?

Right on cue! Actually just finished a class this spring called teaching complex topics. We covered subjects like crt, 1619 project, gender identity, holocost,  evolution, abortion, health care, sex education etc. I got an A 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 11:17 AM

What a complete waste of a class, and time and money.  

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 11:41 AM
posted by geeblock

Right on cue! Actually just finished a class this spring called teaching complex topics. We covered subjects like crt, 1619 project, gender identity, holocost,  evolution, abortion, health care, sex education etc. I got an A 

Well you shouldn’t be teaching the 1619 project bc it isn’t “accurate history” so… 

And as most things on the left, I assume CRT started off as one thing, and has been manipulated into the white hate it currently is. 

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 11:47 AM

Some of the list are actually complex topics. Several, 1619 included, are not.

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 12:09 PM
posted by geeblock

Congratulations on your A. What is the goal/purpose behind the class? What I mean by that is who are the participants being trained to teach those topics to?

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 12:52 PM

probably not hard to get an A, all you have to do is agree with your liberal professor

geeblock Member
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 1:41 PM
posted by Al Bundy

Congratulations on your A. What is the goal/purpose behind the class? What I mean by that is who are the participants being trained to teach those topics to?

It wasn’t training you to teach anything specific or telling you what to teach or what not to teach but more so how to teach kids to evaluate sources as accurate or inaccurate and examining bias when it comes to complex topics. Also how to set up an environment where every one gets a chance to give their opinion. The  teacher is just the facilitator and does not give their opinion but allow students to come up with their own . 

jmog Senior Member
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 6:23 PM
posted by geeblock

It wasn’t training you to teach anything specific or telling you what to teach or what not to teach but more so how to teach kids to evaluate sources as accurate or inaccurate and examining bias when it comes to complex topics. Also how to set up an environment where every one gets a chance to give their opinion. The  teacher is just the facilitator and does not give their opinion but allow students to come up with their own . 

But I thought you said CRT is accurate history?

If it is accurate history why wouldn’t the teacher present it as fact rather than allowing students to “form their own opinions”.

There shouldn’t be opinions on things that are factual. They are either true, or not true.

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 6:28 PM

https://criticalrace.org/

For those of you feigning ignorance on whether or not schools are teaching CRT (and for geeblock) here is a database of colleges and universities that are teaching CRT. There are over 200. Including 2 in Alabama. 

superman Senior Member
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 6:37 PM

https://www.realclearpublicaffairs.com/articles/2020/07/16/critical_race_theory_in_k-12_education_498969.html#!

Here is another article that talks about CRT and 1619 project are being accepted in public schools. 

Some highlights 

An email sent by the Virginia Association of Independent Schools to educators provides a list of resources for teacher training on race. A June 19th email I received from a teacher and dean at a private Christian school explicitly endorses the idea of systemic racism.

A resource guide the VAIS recommends includes a list of over 40 books for anti-racist teachers, with an attached warning that reads, “White Fragiles Beware!” The post goes on to state,

Lots of books will make you feel comfortable with your whiteness and whiteness in general, even for people of color. White fragility needs to take a back seat. Fall back Karen. It’s time to talk about dismantling white supremacy culture and bringing folks of color (the global majority) to the center.

Among such popular books as White Rage and White Fragility is How To Be An Antiracist by America’s leading anti-racist scholar Ibram X. Kendi. Kendi argues that there is no such thing as a non-racist idea. There are only “racist ideas and antiracist ideas.”

In the chapter devoted to capitalism, he argues, “Capitalism is essentially racist,” and “racism is essentially capitalist.” Kendi makes clear that racism occurs when there is any disparity between races, no matter how minor.

California State Superintendent of Public Education Tony Thurmond said in an interview, “We are going to build a training module to allow school districts to engage in training on implicit bias.” He also announced California’s partnership with the National Equity Project (NEP), which trains educators on how to handle inequity in their schools and communities.

But you know geeblock took a class and ptown hasn't met anyone that teaches these things so it's all good. 

geeblock Member
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 8:55 PM
posted by jmog

If it is accurate history why wouldn’t the teacher present it as fact rather than allowing students to “form their own opinions”.

There shouldn’t be opinions on things that are factual. They are either true, or not true.

Idk theories are never presented as facts where I come from

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 9:55 PM
posted by superman

https://criticalrace.org/

For those of you feigning ignorance on whether or not schools are teaching CRT (and for geeblock) here is a database of colleges and universities that are teaching CRT. There are over 200. Including 2 in Alabama. 

My question was about high schools and middle schools. But since you brought this link up, I looked up a few colleges on it. I won't ever deny that colleges are often left wing bastions. But let's take my alma mater OU for example. It's on this list for "teaching" CRT. When you look at the specific evidence, there is one citation about an event at a branch campus (OU Ironton). During the programming for MLK Day, one of the many activities was a discussion with "young community activists on how to become less racist".  

Okay, I would have skipped this talk were I a student at the branch campus. But to use this one example as evidence that CRT is being taught by OU is a stretch to say the least. I graduated in 1993 and I know for certain that there were sometimes wacky programs or speakers that were around. But those were peripheral activities that go on on college campuses. Brother Jed used to come and speak on campus too about how non-Christians were going to hell, but I would hardly conflate that with OU teaching religious intolerance. 

I think this CRT is a big giant boogey man that has all of a sudden become a "critical" issue because it makes people mad. Are there some schools or teachers out there who teach bullshit?  Always have been and always will be. But to suggest we're under siege by this is merely being distracted by irrelevant crap. 

superman Senior Member
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 10:10 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

My question was about high schools and middle schools. But since you brought this link up, I looked up a few colleges on it. I won't ever deny that colleges are often left wing bastions. But let's take my alma mater OU for example. It's on this list for "teaching" CRT. When you look at the specific evidence, there is one citation about an event at a branch campus (OU Ironton). During the programming for MLK Day, one of the many activities was a discussion with "young community activists on how to become less racist".  

Okay, I would have skipped this talk were I a student at the branch campus. But to use this one example as evidence that CRT is being taught by OU is a stretch to say the least. I graduated in 1993 and I know for certain that there were sometimes wacky programs or speakers that were around. But those were peripheral activities that go on on college campuses. Brother Jed used to come and speak on campus too about how non-Christians were going to hell, but I would hardly conflate that with OU teaching religious intolerance. 

I think this CRT is a big giant boogey man that has all of a sudden become a "critical" issue because it makes people mad. Are there some schools or teachers out there who teach bullshit?  Always have been and always will be. But to suggest we're under siege by this is merely being distracted by irrelevant crap. 

Apparently you missed my 2nd post about high schools. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 10:18 PM
posted by superman

Apparently you missed my 2nd post about high schools. 

Read that one too.  I don't doubt the Virginia Independent School Association sent out that nutjob email. Looking into the California ethnic studies curriculum that was referenced in your article, it hardly seems to fit the definition of CRT. Beyond that, I still see no evidence that this is a movement in the process of overtaking our schools. It causes fear, so that's why Trump got so much mileage out if it. Before he repeated it, I think most of us had never heard of it. 

geeblock Member
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 10:32 PM
posted by jmog

I said at least five times so far that schools who are trying to teach a more accurate history has nothing to do with crt in my opinion two different things 

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Jun 15, 2021 1:15 PM
posted by geeblock

Idk theories are never presented as facts where I come from

Did I not see you say CRT was “accurate history” earlier on this thread?

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login