Progressives, part 3...

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 3:38 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

The word literally means "before the war" and was in common usage before the war you've decided it belongs to.

Even more reason for it to be phased out and not celebrated or used in today's society. 

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 3:39 PM
posted by justincredible

So it's now the A-word?

There's an a-word for those who don't know what it means but decide it's another example of Southern bigotry.

Thu, Jun 11, 2020 3:44 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Even more reason for it to be phased out and not celebrated or used in today's society. 

Did you not understand my post? The word is not a civil-war era term.

Thu, Jun 11, 2020 3:48 PM

Did you not understand my post? The word is not a civil-war era term.

Yeah....it refers to the period where there was slavery in the south. That period is glorified in the Lost Cause theory as what the south was fighting for and the ideal society. It deserves to be in the history books and museums, not celebrated or used in today's society as a name for a band. 

Again, the entire southern ethos is build on the backs of slavery and white supremacy. 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 3:48 PM

Definition of antebellum

existing before a war

especially existing before the American Civil War

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antebellum

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 3:49 PM

I'm more offended by Lady, tbh.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 3:55 PM

Maybe...but it is the Republican party that is largely defending keeping the racist/ white supremacy items up in the south....

Party of Lincoln huh?

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/42228670/tennessee-gop-remain-resistant-to-remove-confederate-bust

I'm guessing many Republicans in the South change their minds about the statues and heritage.  As for the bust in the article I believe Forrest repented later in life.  Not that it is why their is resistance to removing it.

Today's Democrats demand their quota of votes. Like Biden said "you ain't black".

And what to make of these Democrat controlled cities and the plight of the black community?

Thu, Jun 11, 2020 4:38 PM

Yeah....it refers to the period where there was slavery in the south.

It doesn't. I'll accept that you were ignorant on the topic at first, now you're simply lying.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 4:40 PM

The word literally means "before the war" and was in common usage before the war you've decided it belongs to.

But can tearing down antebellum homes - a.k.a plantations - be far off?  Agree "Lady Plantation" would have been a terrible name for a band.

Also, you can't really just change it to "Lady A", because everyone knows what the "A" stands for.   I think you need to go with "The Band formerly known as Lady A".

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 4:50 PM

I was apathetic towards the band I don't GAF about changing their name apparently due to connotations brought out by current events. I am amused at how that's branched into a discussion on what the word in their name is defined as and what it "really" means. For some strange reason, I'd be ecstatic if this turns into the next three days being nothing but nonstop talk on what the word "antebellum" means to all of us, complete with everyone arguing that everyone else is wrong because their meaning doesn't line up just right. MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!

Gut, I'm in favor of that. Because by doing that, they'd be following the example of Prince and, therefore, "The Band formerly known as Lady A" will become known by some bizarre symbol that no one will understand, but everyone will be tripping over each other to explain what it means.

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 5:13 PM

I guess my question is why do people care that they’re changing their name? If a band wants to change their name on their own because the name of their band MIGHT have racial connotations to it, why is there outrage over that? 
I understand this is a thread dedicated to bashing progressives so maybe that answers my question, but what’s the harm in people changing something because they don’t like it’s “maybe-connection” to slavery?

Thu, Jun 11, 2020 5:18 PM
posted by majorspark

I'm guessing many Republicans in the South change their minds about the statues and heritage.  As for the bust in the article I believe Forrest repented later in life.  Not that it is why their is resistance to removing it.

Today's Democrats demand their quota of votes. Like Biden said "you ain't black".

And what to make of these Democrat controlled cities and the plight of the black community?

Yeah, some Republicans are moving in that directions, others not so much. I'll be shocked if the party as a whole shifts toward the right side of history.

Yes Forest repented near his death, but does not justify him being honored with a bust. He massacred African American soldiers and created the KKK. 

Hey, I am not saying the Ds are blameless here, just that that at least they are putting forth an effort to care. 

It doesn't. I'll accept that you were ignorant on the topic at first, now you're simply lying.

Educate me my friend. Does the antebellum south not refer to when there was slavery and it glorify that period? 

posted by gut

But can tearing down antebellum homes - a.k.a plantations - be far off?  Agree "Lady Plantation" would have been a terrible name for a band.

Also, you can't really just change it to "Lady A", because everyone knows what the "A" stands for.   I think you need to go with "The Band formerly known as Lady A".

I've been to a few plantations in South Carolina and Louisiana. Some actually did a good job at covering history and the slave experience. Some were really open about how awful it was for slaves. Other homes...not so much. So, I'm good with keeping the homes, if they portray life in the correct way and do not try and sugar coat or white wash. 

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 5:45 PM
posted by majorspark

Lol, yes. Republicans from the South are the good guys here. The dems are the eeeeevil ones!

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 6:05 PM

I'm good with that. 

I'm all for the phasing out of any southern language of phrases that stem from the Jim Crow era and Lost Cause southern ideology. The entire southern ethos is built on the backs of slavery and white supremacy. It belongs in the history book, not the active culture and society. 

Because 99.9% of the US population doesnt know any origins to the name nor do they care.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 6:19 PM

Wait, you can't be serious now ptown...you usually use logic and reason even if I don't agree with your beliefs. But you believe the word antebellum should be "phased out" because of what it literally means? (before the war)?

Am I missing something here?

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 8:22 PM

Yeah, they can do whatever they want.  But it is kind of funny that they've been Lady Antebellum for 15 years and all of a sudden the name is so offensive it needs to be changed.

majorspark Senior Member
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 8:52 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Lol, yes. Republicans from the South are the good guys here. The dems are the eeeeevil ones!

Plenty of shitbag Republicans to go around.  Try understanding the historical context of the discussion as ptown does.  I found his post in the moving forward thread quite compelling.

In Chicago you got Democrats cursing Democrats because they feel the Democrat mayor left their ward to the wolves.

majorspark Senior Member
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 9:17 PM
posted by jmog

Wait, you can't be serious now ptown...you usually use logic and reason even if I don't agree with your beliefs. But you believe the word antebellum should be "phased out" because of what it literally means? (before the war)?

I think ptown meant "phased out" in the context of its use in glorifying the prewar South. Not its literal meaning.  That is how I took it.

majorspark Senior Member
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 10:41 PM

Yeah, some Republicans are moving in that directions, others not so much. I'll be shocked if the party as a whole shifts toward the right side of history.

Has the Democrat party as a whole ever apologized for being on the wrong side of history?

majorspark Senior Member
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 10:44 PM

Yes Forest repented near his death, but does not justify him being honored with a bust. He massacred African American soldiers and created the KKK. 

When you pull a 20 out of your wallet how do you feel? 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login