Progressives, part 3...

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, May 2, 2020 2:14 PM
posted by O-Trap

So AR-15s are still okay then, right?  Since that's certainly not military grade by any stretch.

You’d think. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 27, 2020 9:47 PM

Apparently looting and rioting is how you solve a cop killing a man. And yes, the cop needs arrested. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Wed, May 27, 2020 10:10 PM
posted by iclfan2

Apparently looting and rioting is how you solve a cop killing a man. And yes, the cop needs arrested. 

Looks like a Targeted attack by the looters 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, May 28, 2020 2:25 AM

WTF was that cop thinking though? 

Spock Senior Member
Thu, May 28, 2020 7:40 AM
posted by like_that

That he was getting away with this behavior "again".

Heard on a news source that he has a long list of complaints on him and he also has multiple shootings on his record

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, May 28, 2020 9:49 AM
posted by like_that

I've always wondered how that was considered a safe tactic for anything other than a last resort.  And clearly should only be used for as long as it takes to handcuff someone.  Completely unnecessary with 3 other cops there.

But I'd be willing to wager that the training is if someone can speak that clearly, then they can breathe well enough.  Obviously that wasn't the case.

Thu, May 28, 2020 9:56 AM
posted by gut

I've always wondered how that was considered a safe tactic for anything other than a last resort.  And clearly should only be used for as long as it takes to handcuff someone.  Completely unnecessary with 3 other cops there.

But I'd be willing to wager that the training is if someone can speak that clearly, then they can breathe well enough.  Obviously that wasn't the case.

This was all over a forged $20, too. Who knows if he even knew it was fake. And what was the cops end game holding him down for over 5 minutes? Shouldn't you have just cuffed him and gone on your way? It isn't like he was waiting for backup, there were 3 other cops.

However, burning your town and immigrant owned businesses down is obviously not the answer. One guy got shot (deservedly so) trying to loot a pawn shop.

Spock Senior Member
Thu, May 28, 2020 9:59 AM

Did he think that someone wasnt going to film that?  I heard he took his body cam off.

If I was one of those other cops, I would be making a plea deal asap to testify against that dude.  No way I would do jail time for that POS

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, May 28, 2020 3:51 PM
posted by iclfan2

Apparently looting and rioting is how you solve a cop killing a man.

At the risk of sounding like I'm coming to the defense, peaceful protest certainly hasn't done shit and has been regularly mocked.

After all, the Boston Tea Party was hardly an orderly, civil discourse.

posted by iclfan2

This was all over a forged $20, too. Who knows if he even knew it was fake. And what was the cops end game holding him down for over 5 minutes? Shouldn't you have just cuffed him and gone on your way? It isn't like he was waiting for backup, there were 3 other cops.

I spoke with a retired LAPD officer yesterday, and he said that once someone was handcuffed, they were trained to roll the person on their side or have them sit up, because even without any pressure on their neck, laying on your stomach with your hands behind your back restricts breathing.

I keep seeing people say something to the effect of, "We don't know what happened before this," but seriously?  It shouldn't matter.  Even if he raped and pillaged like a fucking Viking, once he's subdued (and handcuffed behind his back would suggest he was), there's no more threat.

posted by Spock

Did he think that someone wasnt going to film that?  I heard he took his body cam off.

If I was one of those other cops, I would be making a plea deal asap to testify against that dude.  No way I would do jail time for that POS

If I were one of them, I'd be absolutely testify against him, AND I'd be as loud and emphatic as possible about how much I denounce his actions.

Thu, May 28, 2020 4:34 PM
posted by O-Trap

At the risk of sounding like I'm coming to the defense, peaceful protest certainly hasn't done shit and has been regularly mocked.

After all, the Boston Tea Party was hardly an orderly, civil discourse.

That’s quite the stretch. Stealing TVs and burning down auto zones and affordable housing will bring 0 change except hurt the justice you are trying to get.  You wanna burn police cars? I don’t condone it, but at least you are going after the people who wronged you. Who do you think worked in the stores they destroyed, who already are living on hard times?

Thu, May 28, 2020 7:51 PM

Now there is a protest in NYC. I’m sure all on here who bitched about a Jewish funeral are just so mad about these gatherings without social distancing. 

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 29, 2020 9:14 AM

Weird that you’re so quick to stand up for Hasidics. You should do more research. 

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 29, 2020 9:22 AM
posted by Automatik

Weird that you’re so quick to stand up for Hasidics. You should do more research. 

Fits his agenda. 

Fri, May 29, 2020 9:24 AM
posted by Automatik

It wasn't about the Jews, it was about the bitching about them gathering, which is apparently acceptable to do now.

Fri, May 29, 2020 9:32 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

Fits his agenda. 

What agenda would that be? Letting people do what they want? You're the one who bitched the hardest about 100 people on the beach distanced from each other. Aren't these protesters gonna now kill all our grandmas?

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 29, 2020 9:40 AM

Like I said, do more research.

It was several thousand people in the streets, not your typical funeral. During the peak of the pandemic, from a group who openly defies government, AND was hit hard by Covid. 

I didn't see any bitching, just calling out idiots...rightfully so. If you're out burning shit like a maniac at this time, you're also an idiot. Do you feel better now?

But this is also weeks later and everything is not the same as everything else. (you should remember that last sentence.)

Fri, May 29, 2020 12:24 PM
posted by iclfan2

That’s quite the stretch. Stealing TVs and burning down auto zones and affordable housing will bring 0 change except hurt the justice you are trying to get.  You wanna burn police cars? I don’t condone it, but at least you are going after the people who wronged you. Who do you think worked in the stores they destroyed, who already are living on hard times?

Eh, the tea wasn't government tea.  It was owned by the East India Trading Company (which, despite its size, was still a privately owned company).  The Sons of Liberty were protesting a tax by destroying private property that they would be taxed on, even though the owner of the merchandise had no say over the tax (though in fairness, given the size of the company, I'm sure it had government influence).

The modern protest destroys a Target, which is a company that has worked with police for years, through their Target & BLUE program.

In both cases, the protestors destroyed a large amount of private merchandise that belonged to a private company that was connected to, but not directly responsible for, what they were upset about.

Spock Senior Member
Fri, May 29, 2020 12:29 PM
posted by O-Trap

Eh, the tea wasn't government tea.  It was owned by the East India Trading Company (which, despite its size, was still a privately owned company).  The Sons of Liberty were protesting a tax by destroying private property that they would be taxed on, even though the owner of the merchandise had no say over the tax (though in fairness, given the size of the company, I'm sure it had government influence).

The modern protest destroys a Target, which is a company that has worked with police for years, through their Target & BLUE program.

In both cases, the protestors destroyed a large amount of private merchandise that belonged to a private company that was connected to, but not directly responsible for, what they were upset about.

I bet every looter thought..."Hey Target supports the police"...lets burn it down.

Fri, May 29, 2020 12:35 PM
posted by O-Trap

Ok, now do innocent private businesses, banks, affordable housing, native american youth non-profit, Spanish speaking radio station, etc, etc. You're doing an awful lot of condoning these riots, especially not minding they burned down a police station. What would their BEST outcome be at the end of this? The cops look into their one police force (which undoubtedly is a terrible one)?  I don't know why you think this is going to be some historical moment.

Fri, May 29, 2020 12:52 PM
posted by Spock

I bet every looter thought..."Hey Target supports the police"...lets burn it down.

Do you honestly think every member of the Sons of Liberty drew out a sober-minded rationale before joining in on dumping 92,000 pounds of tea into the harbor?

posted by iclfan2

Ok, now do innocent private businesses, banks, affordable housing, native american youth non-profit, Spanish speaking radio station, etc, etc. You're doing an awful lot of condoning these riots, especially not minding they burned down a police station. What would their BEST outcome be at the end of this? The cops look into their one police force (which undoubtedly is a terrible one)?  I don't know why you think this is going to be some historical moment.

I'm not condoning it.  I'm saying I understand it, and I can empathize with the frustration that likely spurred it on.

As for them burning down a police station, that one probably makes the MOST sense.  Why would that one be especially problematic?

I don't think this is going to be an historical moment, though I doubt the Sons of Liberty thought the Boston Tea Party was going to be one, either.  I'm not sure that's the kind of thing you can manufacture, though people seem to try.  I'm merely comparing the events themselves.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login