Progressives, part 3...

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, May 30, 2020 12:30 AM
posted by O-Trap

Do you honestly think every member of the Sons of Liberty drew out a sober-minded rationale before joining in on dumping 92,000 pounds of tea into the harbor?

Well history is written by the victors.  Knowing human nature I would say a few of the Sons of Liberty bagged a little tea before dumping it into the harbor.  The East India Company was in bed with the King.  Much like some big Corps are with the government today.

That said if the Sons of Liberty randomly burned and looted businesses in the streets of Boston we would be looking at the Queen's face when opening our wallet.  

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, May 30, 2020 1:31 AM
posted by majorspark

Well history is written by the victors.  Knowing human nature I would say a few of the Sons of Liberty bagged a little tea before dumping it into the harbor.  The East India Company was in bed with the King.  Much like some big Corps are with the government today.

That said if the Sons of Liberty randomly burned and looted businesses in the streets of Boston we would be looking at the Queen's face when opening our wallet.  

Eh, that's not quite what I was getting at.  Sure, some of them probably looted some tea, but my point was that I'd wager enough of them heard there was going to be a "boogaloo" of sorts, and they were down.  Didn't really matter what it actually was; they were game for whatever.

The EITC was, nevertheless, a fully private company.  I'm sure they did indeed have some under-the-table dealings with the crown, not unlike most major corporations (Target?) today.

As for the notion that we would still be English if the Sons of Liberty went the route of a modern riot, that's pretty much speculative.  There's really no way of recognizing how colonists would have even taken that at the time, not to speak of what might have changed (or not changed) as a result.  Having said that, I doubt the will for independence was so indecisive that a change in the actions of the Sons of Liberty that night would have shifted the sentiments of the majority of colonists toward loyalty to the crown.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jun 10, 2020 5:00 PM

Since the other thread got killed, have any of you seen what’s going on in the progressive strongholds of Seattle and to a lesser extent Portland? Seattle has let these Antifa clowns take over 6 blocks (including a police precinct) which they are now treating as an “autonomous” city. Where is the leadership in these cities? The Uber progressive mayor is even getting shit and they even stormed city hall calling for her resignation. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Wed, Jun 10, 2020 7:04 PM
posted by iclfan2

Since the other thread got killed, have any of you seen what’s going on in the progressive strongholds of Seattle and to a lesser extent Portland? Seattle has let these Antifa clowns take over 6 blocks (including a police precinct) which they are now treating as an “autonomous” city. Where is the leadership in these cities? The Uber progressive mayor is even getting shit and they even stormed city hall calling for her resignation. 

Unreal.  But the snap back will be strong.  

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jun 10, 2020 7:51 PM
posted by iclfan2

Feel free to start another one, I was just sick of the way that conversation was going.

Wed, Jun 10, 2020 10:09 PM

Libs got Live PD cancelled, “cops” the show cancelled, wants paw patrol cancelled, and Christopher Columbus statues are cancelled. All in a days work for the woke mob. 

Wed, Jun 10, 2020 10:53 PM

Someone in Virginia was badly injured or possibly killed when a Confederate monument was pulled down and fell on them. Just saw a video on twitter if someone interviewing a witness. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 10:05 AM
posted by iclfan2

Libs got Live PD cancelled, “cops” the show cancelled, wants paw patrol cancelled, and Christopher Columbus statues are cancelled. All in a days work for the woke mob. 

My wife loves Live PD for watching people being stupid of course. But, I've caught some episodes and actually like it and think it adds value to the discussion going on. You usually have the guest hosts providing commentary on the conduct of officers or how an arrest went badly or went well. I think if they expanded on that, showing the good and the bad, the show should continue. 

posted by justincredible

Someone in Virginia was badly injured or possibly killed when a Confederate monument was pulled down and fell on them. Just saw a video on twitter if someone interviewing a witness. 

I saw where the guy was taken to hospital down in the tidewater area of VA. 

https://wtop.com/virginia/2020/06/jefferson-davis-statue-torn-down-in-richmond-virginia/

I mean ideally, these statues would be taken down in an orderly way. But, hey if there was ever a symbol that deserved to be dragged down by mob rule, a statue of the leader of the traitor Confederate States of America would fit the bill. This also does continue the long tradition in American history of mob rule taking shit down. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 10:25 AM
posted by justincredible

Statue was racist to the end, huh?

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 12:14 PM
posted by gut

Statue was racist to the end, huh?

Well done.

Thu, Jun 11, 2020 1:03 PM

I saw where folks in Philly defaced the statue of a prominent abolitionist. Because he was an old white man, I guess?

Thu, Jun 11, 2020 1:06 PM

LOL, country group Lady Antebellum has cancelled themselves and changed their name to Lady A, just in case anyone gave a shit about the word Antebellum. Virtue Signaling has hopefully reached it's peak. 

Thu, Jun 11, 2020 1:15 PM
posted by iclfan2

LOL, country group Lady Antebellum has cancelled themselves and changed their name to Lady A, just in case anyone gave a shit about the word Antebellum. Virtue Signaling has hopefully reached it's peak. 

I'm good with that. 

I'm all for the phasing out of any southern language of phrases that stem from the Jim Crow era and Lost Cause southern ideology. The entire southern ethos is built on the backs of slavery and white supremacy. It belongs in the history book, not the active culture and society. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 1:16 PM
posted by iclfan2

*its

Because Grammar Signaling will never hit its peak!

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 1:23 PM
posted by iclfan2

U mad?

Thu, Jun 11, 2020 1:27 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

U mad?

Ha no, it's laughable. Everyone trying to be the most woke is pretty entertaining. 

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 1:37 PM

Perhaps the Democrat party should consider changing its name as well.

Thu, Jun 11, 2020 1:57 PM
posted by iclfan2

So it's now the A-word?

Thu, Jun 11, 2020 2:36 PM
posted by majorspark

Perhaps the Democrat party should consider changing its name as well.

Maybe...but it is the Republican party that is largely defending keeping the racist/ white supremacy items up in the south....

Party of Lincoln huh?

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/42228670/tennessee-gop-remain-resistant-to-remove-confederate-bust

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 11, 2020 3:34 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

I'm good with that. 

I'm all for the phasing out of any southern language of phrases that stem from the Jim Crow era and Lost Cause southern ideology. The entire southern ethos is built on the backs of slavery and white supremacy. It belongs in the history book, not the active culture and society. 

The word literally means "before the war" and was in common usage before the war you've decided it belongs to.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login