Progressives, part 3...

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 12, 2020 2:15 PM
posted by justincredible

LOL.

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/lady-antebellum-lady-a-country-blues-1013919/

That is actually funny. 

posted by gut

I just don't get why weddings at a plantation offends people, especially ones hundreds of miles away.  Number one, if the ceremony is somehow perpetuating the southern stereotype I very much doubt the location matters.  Number two, I doubt people are choosing a plantation for the sake of having a wedding on a plantation - it's about space, the landscapes and backdrops.

Finally, if these plantations are state/county owned, then why is raising public funds from weddings a bad thing?  They're not selling a reminder of slavery, they're renting out a public park.  Let me see - preserve our history so we can educate people, but cancel events that might be self-funding in favor of...higher taxes?

If it offends people so much, then designate a few plantations as historic places and privatize any others that are publicly owned.  The private owners can then do whatever the hell they want - if someone wants to tear it down, then come up with the money to buy it.

You have to draw the line somewhere (LOL some far left writer a year or two ago wrote how she was triggered by walking in the forest, because trees = lynching).  I get statues and monuments because they are direct references to specific people.  But FFS the land and house are innocent.

Fair and all good points. I did say it was tricky. 

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 12, 2020 3:06 PM
posted by gut

You have to draw the line somewhere (LOL some far left writer a year or two ago wrote how she was triggered by walking in the forest, because trees = lynching).  I get statues and monuments because they are direct references to specific people.  But FFS the land and house are innocent.

As are their owners. Even if some (most are not) of these plantations are in the same family, the notion of blaming the current generation for sins of the past is moronic.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 12, 2020 4:33 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Lol, yes. Southerners are having their weddings at plantations to show evil slavery was!

Apparently reading comprehension is not your strong suit. 

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 12, 2020 5:12 PM

Jmog: *says something dumb*

someone: that was dumb 

jmog: you can’t read! 

sprinkle in a jmog humble brag in there somehwere and you have just described every jmog discussion on the OC! 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 13, 2020 9:18 AM

S&L: *strawman argument*

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 13, 2020 1:37 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Jmog: *says something dumb*

someone: that was dumb 

jmog: you can’t read! 

sprinkle in a jmog humble brag in there somehwere and you have just described every jmog discussion on the OC! 

Mr. SnL, what you've just typed is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jun 24, 2020 7:03 PM

And just like that police reform is dead.  Senate and House each have their own bills and won't give an inch of compromise.

Really looking forward to re-electing 90% of these clowns in November! 

Wed, Jun 24, 2020 7:49 PM
posted by gut

And just like that police reform is dead.  Senate and House each have their own bills and won't give an inch of compromise.

We're governed by the absolute worst society has to offer. Power-hungry sociopaths. Tarring and feather needs to make a comeback, and I'm not joking even a little.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 25, 2020 10:29 AM
posted by gut

Had Trump presented the Bill of Rights to Pelosi and Schumer it would also have been dead on arrival.

I am waiting for the media to claim racism by those two assholes, given that the Senate bill for police reform was presented by the black senator from SC.  Obviously, it will never happen; the media is more corrupt than the democrat party.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Jun 25, 2020 11:54 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Had Trump presented the Bill of Rights to Pelosi and Schumer it would also have been dead on arrival.

I am waiting for the media to claim racism by those two assholes, given that the Senate bill for police reform was presented by the black senator from SC.  Obviously, it will never happen; the media is more corrupt than the democrat party.

Add that the "judiciary committee" wont bring in the "Justice Department" head to testify on FISA abuse, spying and other illegal acts.  But wants current AG to come in and answer questions on Trump and Russia.  

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 2, 2020 9:48 AM

No, DC should not be a state.

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 9:53 AM
posted by iclfan2

No, DC should not be a state.

Yes, they should be...

They have more population than Wyoming and Vermont. The DC Bill would carve out the federal areas, near the mall and federal buildings, which only take up 15-20% of the city. So, you can still have your federal areas that are stipulated in the Constitution.  It is insane that over 700k people have zero representation in Congress. 

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 9:59 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Yes, they should be...

They have more population than Wyoming and Vermont. The DC Bill would carve out the federal areas, near the mall and federal buildings, which only take up 15-20% of the city. So, you can still have your federal areas that are stipulated in the Constitution.  It is insane that over 700k people have zero representation in Congress. 

Did they not choose to move there? The bill is a joke, it would still take a constitutional amendment, and we all know that’s never happening.

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 10:01 AM
posted by iclfan2

Did they not choose to move there? The bill is just a farce, it would still need a constitutional amendment, which we all know is never happening. 

Not everyone just moves to the area. There are life long people that live in the area. It is just like every other state ,where you have a mixture of people that move in and out, but a section that are life long people that live in area. DC is bigger than you think...it is not just full of federal people. When I moved to the area, I was surprised how diverse and large the area was. 

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 10:10 AM

Let's say I am a Doctor who has an office and treats patients in downtown DC. You are saying that the doctor who pays DC and federal taxes has no voting right? That he should just live in VA or MD if he wants to have the right to vote even though his office and patients are in DC? 

The fact that DC has taxation without representation is dumb as fuck. 

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 10:17 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Let's say I am a Doctor who has an office and treats patients in downtown DC. You are saying that the doctor who pays DC and federal taxes has no voting right? That he should just live in VA or MD if he wants to have the right to vote even though his office and patients are in DC? 

The fact that DC has taxation without representation is dumb as fuck. 

I’ll go with what the founding fathers thought. Anyone living in DC today knew, or should know, that the constitution says they don’t get members of Congress. It’s pretty simple.  If they want representation, call it Maryland or VA, we don’t need another state.

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 10:22 AM
posted by iclfan2

I’ll go with what the founding fathers thought. Anyone living in DC today knew, or should know, that the constitution says they don’t get members of Congress. It’s pretty simple.  If they want representation, call it Maryland or VA, we don’t need another state.

Yeah. That does not match with how much DC has grown since the founding. The idea was to just have a section for the working of the federal government. The DC statehood bill does that. It just takes that rest of the area and makes it its own state. Also, if we live in a democracy, which I think we still do, the fact that a wide majority of people living in DC want to be a state as well as a majority of people in MD and VA do not want to add them to their states is evidence they should be a state. 

Why don't we need another state? Is 50 just the right number now forever? Is there no way any other territory could become a state in your view? We just hit 50 states in 1949, and this is the longest in the country's history we have gone without adding a new state. 

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 10:24 AM

I'd like to see the state of Jefferson come to be, as well. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(proposed_Pacific_state)

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Jul 2, 2020 10:27 AM

LOL if you dont think that people of DC doesnt have representation.   Just follow the money

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 10:27 AM
posted by Spock

LOL if you dont think that people of DC doesnt have representation.   Just follow the money

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login