Progressives, part 3...

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 21, 2020 12:28 PM
posted by justincredible

And then he had the nerve to come out after the rally to credit himself for de-escalating the violence. He's an absolute dunce of a man.

I mean, if he wanted to prove they were all racist killers, then he should have proven it by attending in black face.  AmIrite?!?

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 21, 2020 12:29 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

The Virginia governor rationalized his declaration by saying that there was a "credible" and "imminent" threat on the web regarding the rally with no further explanation.  Sounds about as solid as the reason we all of a sudden had to take out that Iranian general a couple of weeks ago.  

Huh? The FBI arrested three guys earlier this month which was the reason for the declaration. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/fbi-arrests-alleged-members-of-white-supremacist-group-the-base/2020/01/16/ae8c01d4-386b-11ea-bf30-ad313e4ec754_story.html

The declaration was also in response to the shit show that was Charlottesville, which is still fresh on the minds of everyone in VA.. I'm not in favor of many of the proposed gun laws in VA, but I'll give them and the people that protested credit for being a peacefull and uneventful day.  

I did laugh at some of the fat guys in full tac gear. It's like dude, you look like an idiot. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Jan 21, 2020 12:38 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Huh? The FBI arrested three guys earlier this month which was the reason for the declaration. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/fbi-arrests-alleged-members-of-white-supremacist-group-the-base/2020/01/16/ae8c01d4-386b-11ea-bf30-ad313e4ec754_story.html

The declaration was also in response to the shit show that was Charlottesville, which is still fresh on the minds of everyone in VA.. I'm not in favor of many of the proposed gun laws in VA, but I'll give them and the people that protested credit for being a peacefull and uneventful day.  

I did laugh at some of the fat guys in full tac gear. It's like dude, you look like an idiot. 

I'm sure there are always threats from someone that can be pointed to.  Probably every single gathering over a certain size gets "threats" from people.  Most of these are nut job things.  

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 21, 2020 3:29 PM

Pretty rich after listening to Schiff run around talking about "overwhelming evidence" now today arguing before the Senate that the President is withholding key, vital evidence. 

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jan 21, 2020 3:59 PM
posted by majorspark

Pretty rich after listening to Schiff run around talking about "overwhelming evidence" now today arguing before the Senate that the President is withholding key, vital evidence.

I'm still really unsure if there is an actual basis for impeachment.

But I really despise Schiff.  No POTUS has ever done this?  Ummmm, what about Obama and "Russian Collusion"?

And then you say you have proven your case, that you have the evidence....But you must have more witnesses and evidence?!?  And I may be mistaken, but aren't affidavits and video testimony often used in trials?  Why the need to call witnesses you already heard from?

The thing that really struck me though is if Trump asserts privilege, as is his right, then Schiff is making a claim that he can't be acquitted because he can't prosecute the case.  Mueller said something like this when he refused to rule on Obstruction, that basically if Trump couldn't be indicted then it would be wrong to charge a crime he can't defend himself in trial.  So I'm tempted to say this should be dismissed until the Dems have all the evidence they need to proceed with a trial.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jan 21, 2020 4:02 PM

Also, one of Schumer's amendments includes materials related to Hunter Biden, Burisma, DNC and Ukraine interference.  Why do I get the feeling that the Dems wouldn't be upset if some stuff damaging to Quid Pro Joe were to surface?

I really wonder.  Obviously first and foremost they want to hurt Trump.  But would hurting Biden be a welcome bonus?  If you sink Biden, do you clear a path for Bloomberg....or - gasp - Hillary?

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jan 21, 2020 4:07 PM

I just can't believe how witnesses are threatened with perjury, but members of Congress can lie their ass off while "testifying" for witnesses.

Schiff lies almost as much as Trump, but I keep hearing Republicans claiming they weren't allowed in the closed-door hearings, didn't have witnesses, Trump wasn't allowed to defend himself, etc...and I think that's all bullshit.

How are we to believe in fair and just Congressional hearings when the politicians lie with impunity?

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Tue, Jan 21, 2020 5:30 PM

Its all BS, there was never a "whistleblower".....it was a plant.  Schiff had this set up since day 1.

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 22, 2020 1:37 AM

So, you've got members on one side who say they've been working on drumming up an impeachment for the last 2 1/2 years, while you've got members on the other side who have stated that their mind was made up before the hearings even began.

Does anyone actually believe any of this is being done in good faith?

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jan 22, 2020 1:57 AM
posted by O-Trap

Does anyone actually believe any of this is being done in good faith?

4 Repubs, especially Romney, are practically Independent and certainly no friend of Trump....and they're voting behind Mitch.  The House vote was almost purely partisan.

This is all political.  It's not impeachable.  And while, IMO, it's an abuse of power that SHOULD be impeachable, I have a feeling that happens under every administration but only TDS causes a whistleblower to come forward with the subsequent pursuit of shenanigans.

Effectively what Trump did is not materially different from Hillary funding the Dossier at arms length.  But Hillary shielded herself from illegality while Trump....may have committed a campaign finance violation?  The horror.  That's a slap on the wrist and not remotely close to an impeachable offense.

And the sad part is, if Biden becomes POTUS he's going to be investigated by the Repubs for 4 years!!!!

Point of contention:  The House proceedings weren't exactly brief or secretive, so I'm not that bent over people already having a conclusion.  Especially considering how weak the charges are.

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jan 22, 2020 2:02 AM
posted by Spock

Its all BS, there was never a "whistleblower".....it was a plant.  Schiff had this set up since day 1.

There was definitely a "whistleblower".  I'm just not convinced Trump did anything differently to Biden than Obama and Hillary did to him.

I think there was more cause for suspicion with Biden than there ever was with Trump and Russia.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Jan 22, 2020 9:36 AM

I agree that these quid pro quo type things are part of being president.  Is it always right?  Probably not.  But the world is complicated and presidents are political animals.  What Trump did with Ukraine was slimy (as opposed to QO assuring us he was protecting the Union and the People), but probably no different then every single president has done at times.  Biden completely put himself in a compromising position by having his son place there.  This impeachment is a bunch of slimballs acting like they have our interests in mind.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Wed, Jan 22, 2020 11:03 AM

I agree that these quid pro quo type things are part of being president.  Is it always right?  Probably not.  But the world is complicated and presidents are political animals.  What Trump did with Ukraine was slimy (as opposed to QO assuring us he was protecting the Union and the People), but probably no different then every single president has done at times.  Biden completely put himself in a compromising position by having his son place there.  This impeachment is a bunch of slimballs acting like they have our interests in mind.

Trump is spending our taxpayer dollars in one of the most corrupt countries in the world.  A little strong arm tactic is ok with me

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, Jan 22, 2020 1:57 PM
posted by justincredible

Anyone follow the VA gun rights rally yesterday? Surprising no one, the media and the Twitter blue check brigade decided to frame it as a racist, white nationalist event. Meanwhile, the event went off without a hitch. People of all color were in attendance (yes, it was predominately white), joined together in the common goal of opposing the newly proposed, and absolutely worthless, gun control laws. And, after the event, they cleaned up after themselves. I saw video of people peeling stickers off of pavement as to leave no trace behind.

Still more diverse than the march for our lives rally. 

You're so cool. 

Grazie.

posted by justincredible

And then he had the nerve to come out after the rally to credit himself for de-escalating the violence. He's an absolute dunce of a man.

That fact he isn't held accountable from the left is living proof they are 100% full of shit.  

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jan 22, 2020 2:16 PM

They keep calling it a "drug deal"....not really poll-tested, for me.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 22, 2020 4:04 PM
posted by like_that

Still more diverse than the march for our lives rally. 

and the remaining slate of Democrat presidential candidates.

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jan 22, 2020 5:32 PM

What this impeachment hearing really needs is Rick Perry grilling Hunter Biden on energy :)

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 23, 2020 8:17 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

The Charlottsville was actually declared as a "unite the right" and had a few far right racist groups listed as attending.

The VA protest had no such thing. 

The problem is that the narrative from the left and the media is that "well obviously 2A supporters are white supremecists so its just like Charlottsville". Which, anyone who has 2 brain cells to rub together knows is horsecrap.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 23, 2020 8:48 AM
posted by jmog

The problem is that the narrative from the left and the media is that "well obviously 2A supporters are white supremecists so its just like Charlottsville". Which, anyone who has 2 brain cells to rub together knows is horsecrap.

And why I adamantly oppose any sort of red-flag law. Pass the law, and then move the goalpost of what constitutes a dangerous person.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 23, 2020 11:54 AM
posted by justincredible

And why I adamantly oppose any sort of red-flag law. Pass the law, and then move the goalpost of what constitutes a dangerous person.

You see the case the other day where a kid committed suicide by cop (charged a cop with knife after minutes of the cop backing up and begging him to drop the knife...cop goes to switch from gun to taser for a better outcome, kid charges cop at that point and 2 cops drop him). 

The mother of the kid lied on red flag documents that she was a cousin of the cop and listed him as mentally unstable and a danger with a gun. They took his gun and he was suspended until they figured out who filled out all the forms for the red flag.

She just wanted revenge for what was obviously a clean shooting.

That's what the red flag laws will turn into. People you know have guns and they make you mad.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login