Progressives, part 3...

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 10:42 AM
posted by justincredible

She was just waiting for her ceremonial pen order to come in.

Nonsense.  Adam Schiff keeps a couple dozen, at least, up his ass.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 10:53 AM

She held it to time the so called info interview of that Ukranian felon they had on last night.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 11:38 AM
posted by Spock

She held it to time the so called info interview of that Ukranian felon they had on last night.

Well, that may blow up in their faces as the Senate Rs are not going to allow or take any of this new evidence in their trial. The interview and documents from Lev are pretty damning. But. they won't matter as 1. Most of the Trump supporters and allies will dismiss them. 2. The Senate will not take up any of the information and 3. Most people are going to just shrug and not take the allegations seriously even if they are remotely true. 

Also, the fact that the GAO came back this morning and said the President was wrong to withhold the aid funding is irrelevant for the reasons above. 

This whole process is frustrating because it does seem that Rudy and company were doing some shady shit to try and uncover other potential shady shit that may involve the President, but because of the political climate and makeup of Congress, we all just shrug. 

Spock Senior Member
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 11:43 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Well, that may blow up in their faces as the Senate Rs are not going to allow or take any of this new evidence in their trial. The interview and documents from Lev are pretty damning. But. they won't matter as 1. Most of the Trump supporters and allies will dismiss them. 2. The Senate will not take up any of the information and 3. Most people are going to just shrug and not take the allegations seriously even if they are remotely true. 

Also, the fact that the GAO came back this morning and said the President was wrong to without the aid funding is irrelevant for the reasons above. 

This whole process is frustrating because it does seem that Rudy and company were doing some shady shit to try and uncover other potential shady shit that may involve the President, but because of the political climate and makeup of Congress, we all just shrug. 

Rudy was doing dirt for sure.  They aren't stupid enough to tie trump to it.

As for credibility coming from a crooked foreign felon.....his evidence would never make it into a real trial.  But these dems dont care.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 11:44 AM

No. I think she did it to try and get witnesses to be called, which is what is going to happen. It won't matter though, the R's are just going through the motions.  It also won't impact the three D Senators running for President as I think the Senate trial will be over either right before or a little after Iowa. 

Witnesses who could have been called by at least two House committees?

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 12:11 PM

Well, that may blow up in their faces as the Senate Rs are not going to allow or take any of this new evidence in their trial.

Which is probably why the Dems will impeach him AGAIN, probably even before the election.

It's a shit show.  It doesn't appear to be an actual impeachable offense - basically what the prior Admin did to Trump, except he was open & public about it and not enlisting the FBI and CIA to spy.  That said, I do believe it SHOULD be an abuse of power.

As far as Rudy doing shady shit, that's confusing as hell.  Campaigns get dirty with oppo research, but it's unclear what his role was officially and what he was really doing.  It seems like he was associated as the President's lawyer, which would mean conducting campaign business is a problem. 

IMO, if not for TDS we'd never have had a whistleblower, much less impeachment.

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 12:14 PM
posted by gut

Which is probably why the Dems will impeach him AGAIN, probably even before the election.

Eh ... I think this depends on how they actually see their odds of success.

If they know they don't have a snowball's chance in hell, then sure, they'll do it before the election in hopes to influence voters away from him.

But if they're smoking what they're selling, I could see them keeping it as an ace in the hole in case he gets re-elected.

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 12:15 PM
posted by Spock

They aren't stupid enough to tie trump to it.

Same with the Clintons, except your perspective is quite different where they're concerned?

If one of your staff went rogue, you're culpability may not be criminal but it would certainly warrant termination.  So it shouldn't matter if they can "tie Trump to it".  Rudy may be senile, but no one thinks he was acting on his own against Trump's wishes.

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 12:16 PM

C'mon, tell me Adam Schiff doesn't look like someone who's been slapped a 1000X with a dildo.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 1:42 PM

Also, the fact that the GAO came back this morning and said the President was wrong to withhold the aid funding is irrelevant for the reasons above. 

OMB said the GAO is full of shit.  And it won’t be the first time GAO has to make a retraction for erroneous claims.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 1:53 PM

What happened to Rudy?  During 9/11, I literally thought the world of that guy. Now he's like some slimeball in Tony Soprano's gang. Which is the real guy?

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 2:07 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

What happened to Rudy?  During 9/11, I literally thought the world of that guy. Now he's like some slimeball in Tony Soprano's gang. Which is the real guy?

I really think he's in the early stages of dementia.  And if the reports are true, he was running all over Ukraine begging for money.  Maybe he figured he's old and just grab what he could for his kids and grandkids.

Also, it's pretty interesting that Rand Paul seems to oppose witnesses.  I tend to believe Rand Paul will choose the Constitution over party, so this idea that it's a sham trial without witnesses is probably leftwing bullshit.

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 3:06 PM
posted by O-Trap

But if they're smoking what they're selling, I could see them keeping it as an ace in the hole in case he gets re-elected.

You're assuming they would only impeach him one more time.  It's a certainty they impeach him again in a 2nd term (assuming he gets re-elected and they still hold the House).  I give it 50/50 they impeach him again before the election to try influence voters.  Problem is, this whole thing hasn't seemed to move the needle, at all.

It would be funny if the House and Senate flip and the Dems cry for 2+ years about Repubs in the House not impeaching him.

Thu, Jan 16, 2020 5:07 PM
posted by gut

You're assuming they would only impeach him one more time.  It's a certainty they impeach him again in a 2nd term (assuming he gets re-elected and they still hold the House).  I give it 50/50 they impeach him again before the election to try influence voters.  Problem is, this whole thing hasn't seemed to move the needle, at all.

It would be funny if the House and Senate flip and the Dems cry for 2+ years about Repubs in the House not impeaching him.

I'd thought about a third attempt, but if they care about expedience, I'd imagine they play keep-away with the ball until after the election.  Assuming they don't think they'll win or they don't think it'll sway the election enough, that is.

If they think he's going to win re-election regardless of any impeachment, and they don't think their impeachment will wind up getting him removed from office, my guess is that they use it as a sort of "smear campaign" against the Republican Party at large and leverage it into an effort to take the Senate between the 2020 and 2022 elections.  Maybe even use it as a black mark against anyone who might run in 2024 that has supported Trump.

Obviously, they realize that ousting the president doesn't mean they suddenly take the White House.  At least I hope so.  A third attempt to impeach would seem petty, and it would take more time.

Spock Senior Member
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 9:24 PM
posted by Spock

Called that one.  Maddow stated last night that she said she was working on it for months.   That means it's a set up

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Fri, Jan 17, 2020 5:03 AM

How many times will the dems recycle the Kavanaugh playbook until they realize everyone knows it's the most predictable bullshit (other than their base)? 

As for the GAO, nobody gave a fuck when the GAO determined Obama violated federal law several times and nobody will give a fuck about this determination either.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 17, 2020 8:45 AM
posted by Spock

Called that one.  Maddow stated last night that she said she was working on it for months.   That means it's a set up

Set up? Care to tease that out and explain? 

posted by like_that

How many times will the dems recycle the Kavanaugh playbook until they realize everyone knows it's the most predictable bullshit (other than their base)? 

As for the GAO, nobody gave a fuck when the GAO determined Obama violated federal law several times and nobody will give a fuck about this determination either.

Yeah on the GAO. The GAO reports are usually used by the opposing party to state how they do not like what the Executive Branch is doing. That said, the GAO has blasted almost every President. 

Fri, Jan 17, 2020 11:09 AM

Yeah on the GAO. The GAO reports are usually used by the opposing party to state how they do not like what the Executive Branch is doing. That said, the GAO has blasted almost every President.

I'm starting to like the GAO.  ;)

Spock Senior Member
Fri, Jan 17, 2020 11:53 AM

Set up? Care to tease that out and explain? 

The playbook has been used before, get a "fact" witness (call him that even when he actually isnt).  put him on the back burner and use him when you are out of ammo and nothing else has worked (see Kavanaugh).  Then set him up with your media, Maddow who will interview anyone, and then pull the card months later to keep the narrative going.

gut Senior Member
Fri, Jan 17, 2020 1:10 PM
posted by Spock

That really is suspect as hell.  As mentioned, it's straight out of the Kavanaugh playbook.

Unfortunately, the liberal media has realized they don't have to pretend to be fair or truthful any more.  And the sad part is it's not really moving the needle.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login