Progressives, part 3...

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 1, 2019 3:08 PM
posted by like_that

So which is the correct county map? The maps based on google search results for the 2016 election are pretty damn red. 

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2016/

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 1, 2019 3:10 PM
posted by like_that

So which is the correct county map? The maps based on google search results for the 2016 election are pretty damn red. 

Don’t waste your time; once someone has become intoxicated by the DC establishment there is no getting them back…..worse than opioids

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 1, 2019 10:22 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/20

I would just note this map distorts jurisdictional boundaries that the founders sought to give value through the electoral college.  It's not a representation of how we constitutionally elect presidents.  Pretty much the definition of a phony electoral map.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 1, 2019 11:13 PM

LOL, look, if Trump actually said this there's just no way it wasn't a joke.  I didn't have a ton of faith in the media before, but the coverage of Trump has been pretty eye-opening.  I mean, someone writes it in a book and so now that makes it newsworthy?  Isn't that kind of how the tabloids operate?

By the way, I used to joke about digging a moat on the border and filling it with sharks and crocodiles!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/10/01/border-wall-book-details-turbulent-week-donald-trumps-directives/3836341002/

According to reporting from the New York Times, President Donald Trump had at times privately talked about “fortifying a border wall with a water-filled trench, stocked with snakes or alligators, prompting aides to seek a cost estimate. He wanted the wall electrified, with spikes on top that could pierce human flesh.”

Wed, Oct 2, 2019 7:58 AM
posted by majorspark

I would just note this map distorts jurisdictional boundaries that the founders sought to give value through the electoral college.  It's not a representation of how we constitutionally elect presidents.  Pretty much the definition of a phony electoral map.

LOL. Take it easy. 

All the map is doing is digging into the how diverse the country is. All it is showing is there are pockets of red and blue voters all around the country. Take the west coast, even though they are really blue, you can see pockets of red. It is not saying we should eliminate the electoral college, just drilling down into how we vote and each state is not a monolith. 

He has done it for all the elections going back to 2004 and you can track to see how some areas have drifted from red to blue to red again. 

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2004/

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2008/

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2012/

majorspark Senior Member
Wed, Oct 2, 2019 8:36 AM

LOL. Take it easy. 

You are the one who called the county map inaccurate.  Its not when showing geographical majorities for that election year.

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Oct 2, 2019 9:52 AM
posted by majorspark

You are the one who called the county map inaccurate.  Its not when showing geographical majorities for that election year.

Eh, he wasn't wrong.  It does show the majorities, yes, but it's not an adequate representation of the nation as a whole, because no county is a monolith.  A "red" county could be 51% red or 99% red, but it will still just show up as "red" on the first map.

Moreover, that county could have 5MM people in it or it could have 20 people in it, so there's no accounting for the actual number of people within those non-homogeneous counties.

Neither map is ultimately inaccurate.  They're just not telling the same things.

majorspark Senior Member
Wed, Oct 2, 2019 10:28 AM
posted by O-Trap

Neither map is ultimately inaccurate.  They're just not telling the same things.

That's exactly what I said.  Note I said phony "electoral" map.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Oct 2, 2019 12:11 PM
posted by majorspark

That's exactly what I said.  Note I said phony "electoral" map.

I misunderstood your point.  Apologies.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, Oct 2, 2019 2:13 PM
posted by O-Trap

Eh, he wasn't wrong.  It does show the majorities, yes, but it's not an adequate representation of the nation as a whole, because no county is a monolith.  A "red" county could be 51% red or 99% red, but it will still just show up as "red" on the first map.

Moreover, that county could have 5MM people in it or it could have 20 people in it, so there's no accounting for the actual number of people within those non-homogeneous counties.

You can also make this argument for the EC map.  

The county map is a good argument against idiots who want the abolish the EC. 

gut Senior Member
Wed, Oct 2, 2019 2:45 PM
posted by like_that

I've said this before, but the reason progressives are so all-in on federal govt is because they're agenda can't be implemented at the state level.  That's why they need to abolish the EC.

What do you have against state rights, progressives?  "Well, if CA has free healthcare then the sickest and poorest are all going to move there and that can't work".   Hmmmm, sounds to me like a CA problem and not an OH problem.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Oct 2, 2019 3:28 PM

• A spokesman for House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., acknowledged Wednesday that the whistleblower alleging misconduct in the White House had reached out to Schiff's panel before filing a complaint --

Imagine that

Explains why either an attorney or high-level congressional staff wrote the complaint; no CIA underling wrote it, that’s for sure.

Wed, Oct 2, 2019 3:55 PM
posted by like_that

You can also make this argument for the EC map.  

Assuming an elected government, I support the EC, which is why I had no problem saying that.

I mean, I'd just as soon see no government at all, but that's not going to happen, so ...

Wed, Oct 2, 2019 6:43 PM
posted by QuakerOats

• A spokesman for House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., acknowledged Wednesday that the whistleblower alleging misconduct in the White House had reached out to Schiff's panel before filing a complaint --

Imagine that

Explains why either an attorney or high-level congressional staff wrote the complaint; no CIA underling wrote it, that’s for sure.

If you actually read the story and look at the actual process, you see the whistleblower actually followed the proper procedure.

Plus, just last week the DNI said the whistleblower report was credible and went through the proper channels. 

Finally, just so we are clear, what's inaccurate so far in the report? Shit, the call summary confirms what's in the report.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Oct 3, 2019 4:08 AM

So, Schiff knew about the complaint prior to the whistleblower submitting his/her complaint. Are the Dems just going to keep recycling the kavanaugh playbook?

I know Republicans are full of shit and are sleazy, but LOL at anyone that thinks the Dems set the high standard  for integrity and morality. It’s an argument between two shit sandwiches, but you can make easily make an argument that the Dems are the far bigger scumbags.  Spare me the bullshit that everything will be perfect if the Dems ever gain back full control.

inb4 “blah blah trump blah blah.”

Thu, Oct 3, 2019 6:34 AM
posted by like_that

So, Schiff knew about the complaint prior to the whistleblower submitting his/her complaint. Are the Dems just going to keep recycling the kavanaugh playbook?

I know Republicans are full of shit and are sleazy, but LOL at anyone that thinks the Dems set the high standard  for integrity and morality. It’s an argument between two shit sandwiches, but you can make easily make an argument that the Dems are the far bigger scumbags.  Spare me the bullshit that everything will be perfect if the Dems ever gain back full control.

inb4 “blah blah trump blah blah.”

Again,

If you actually read the story and look at the actual process, you see the whistleblower actually followed the proper procedure.

Plus, just last week the DNI said the whistleblower report was credible and went through the proper channels. 

Finally, just so we are clear, what's inaccurate so far in the report? Shit, the call summary confirms what's in the report.

gut Senior Member
Thu, Oct 3, 2019 10:43 AM

Trump at the 'choppa calling for Ukraine and China to investigate Biden....that's pretty much unimpeachably impeachable rhetoric.   Just imagine Obama saying something like that and watching right-wing heads explode.

A new normal for conservative media where suddenly public statements can't be corrupt because they're transparent [and public].

QuakerOats Senior Member
Thu, Oct 3, 2019 11:03 AM

We have a treaty with Ukraine that calls for cooperation in rooting out corruption.  Trump is fulfilling his duties following through with those requirements.  A former sitting vice-president used US taxpayer money to bribe a foreign government for the purpose of having them stop an investigation into the Vice-President’s son’s corrupt business.  That is exactly the type of corruption that needs to be exposed and dealt with ……..whether or not that former Vice-President is running for office again.  Obviously it is uncomfortable for the left to have their criminality exposed, but Trump has an obligation to US taxpayers/citizens.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Oct 3, 2019 11:07 AM

Again,

If you think some "process" was followed is ridiculous.  Also lets stop calling this person a "whistle blower"  He took info (supposedly) from the whistle blower the info then he reported it.  He isnt "THE" whistle blower

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login