Impressed by the Trump administration part II

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Mar 9, 2020 4:47 PM
posted by gut

LOL, I hear the idiot talking heads mention that a lot, but WTF does that actually mean?

Corrections are healthy?  I would say they're natural and expected, but I'm not sure how losing money can be considered a good thing. You're just throwing crap out there trying to sound like you know what you're talking about.

LOL, whatever you say, boss.

At least I’m the guy who went 70% bond fund and stable value fund on February 11th. but I know nothing.

Good luck.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Mon, Mar 9, 2020 5:27 PM
posted by QuakerOats

At least I’m the guy who went 70% bond fund and stable value fund on February 11th. but I know nothing.

Good luck.

Weird flex bro 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Mar 9, 2020 5:41 PM
posted by QuakerOats

You're full of froth

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Mar 9, 2020 5:44 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Good luck.

Awesome flex.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 10, 2020 2:54 PM
posted by gut

You're full of froth

Sorry you missed that trade.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Mar 13, 2020 5:48 PM

I thought Trump's press conference today was good.  Showing all those people up there from government and industry was a good way to show how much effort is going into the testing issue.   Of course he can't resist taking a shot at Obama which is the type of thing he does constantly that people don't like. It's be cool if he had Bush Jr, Clinton and Obama up there with him, but I don't think he'd ever allow that to happen. 

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 13, 2020 8:32 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Of course he can't resist taking a shot at Obama which is the type of thing he does constantly that people don't like.  

I watched the press conference.  I did not see where he took a shot at Obama.  I think I know the exchange you are referring to because when I heard the question and I thought here it comes.  But it didn't.  I heard words like rules and regulations from a different time, they needed redesigned, not the fault of anybody, and they worked well at the time.

Did I miss something else that was said or are you inferring that from this exchange?

gut Senior Member
Fri, Mar 13, 2020 9:17 PM
posted by majorspark

...  I heard words like rules and regulations from a different time, they needed redesigned, not the fault of anybody, and they worked well at the time.

That's been pretty much par for the course for every new major challenge/disaster.  For all the money and resources we pour into our federal govt to figure this shit out beforehand, inevitably they screw it up the first time they're tested.

I think part of the problem with this, as opposed to say FEMA going into a disaster zone, is for a pandemic you really need state/local people prepared to act and make the decisions.  The federal govt can't sit there and magically stop this from spreading.  If you have a breakout in CA, then CA needs to isolate but the rest of the country should go on business as usual.

The other interesting point I saw...is that by Trump not decreeing to cancel all these events and everything else, that because it came from the state and local levels (our colleges, or NCAA, NBA, etc), there was much more acceptance.  It's major spin on the stumbles, and I'm sure it's not the reason for the stumbles but it does have merit.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 13, 2020 9:17 PM
posted by majorspark

I watched the press conference.  I did not see where he took a shot at Obama.  I think I know the exchange you are referring to because when I heard the question and I thought here it comes.  But it didn't.  I heard words like rules and regulations from a different time, they needed redesigned, not the fault of anybody, and they worked well at the time.

Did I miss something else that was said or are you inferring that from this exchange?

He took shots at the H1N1 and the rollout of Obama’s dumbass Obamacare website. He’s immature, but it was kinda funny. The presser today should have been what his dumbass did on Wednesday. 

gut Senior Member
Fri, Mar 13, 2020 9:23 PM
posted by iclfan2

He took shots at the H1N1 ...

There actually are a lot of parallels.  And while H1N1 received plenty of attention, the media/govt reaction has been like an 11 vs. a 1.  I attribute at least some of that to the doomsday culture that has emerged in the last decade.  For example, if you compare climate change rhetoric today vs. 2010 I think you'd get a somewhat similar variance (although maybe more like 3 vs. 8 - Cov19 actually is killing people).

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 13, 2020 11:55 PM
posted by gut

There actually are a lot of parallels.  And while H1N1 received plenty of attention, the media/govt reaction has been like an 11 vs. a 1.

Yeah my daughter got H1N1 while she still lived at home and attending high school.  Life went on as normal.  You are right there was a lot of attention and that prompted me to get tested at the time and it was negative though normally I would have let it ride.  Like you said the government/media reaction totally different in this case.

Sat, Mar 14, 2020 9:38 AM
posted by majorspark

Going on about H1N1 - how the testing was late and thousands died. 

I think he did a good job yesterday. I really liked seeing all the leaders up there together. That instills confidence. I just wish he'd project a little less pettiness. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Sat, Mar 14, 2020 10:47 AM

Going on about H1N1 - how the testing was late and thousands died. 

I think he did a good job yesterday. I really liked seeing all the leaders up there together. That instills confidence. I just wish he'd project a little less pettiness. 

He is just countering the mass pettiness from the media and the left

Sat, Mar 14, 2020 10:51 AM
posted by Spock

Depending upon your perspective, that stuff is thrown at whoever is in office.  Once in awhile for a situation that affects more than just Americans, but whole world, if the leader stays above that, he/she inspires.  I get it that this is just his way.  Despite that, he did a good job.  It was very effective having all of those industry leaders up there.  

Sat, Mar 14, 2020 11:12 AM
posted by Spock

I doubt people affected by Coronavirus in China or Italy give two shits about the politics in the US.  It's not always about Washington DC.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Sat, Mar 14, 2020 1:06 PM

Depending upon your perspective, that stuff is thrown at whoever is in office.  Once in awhile for a situation that affects more than just Americans, but whole world, if the leader stays above that, he/she inspires.  I get it that this is just his way.  Despite that, he did a good job.  It was very effective having all of those industry leaders up there.  

true, I would rather have this guy in there today then someone trying to play politics with it.

gut Senior Member
Sat, Mar 14, 2020 3:27 PM

I don't people affected by Coronavirus in China or Italy give two shits about the politics in the US.  It's not always about Washington DC.

Once again, everyone points to the POTUS and I think he has very little to do with this.  One person can't coordinate this.  And it's not something that you can suddenly crank out a response.  That infrastructure and process has to already be in place, and like I said every time something like this happens we are found lacking (but usually learn from it and get better).

I'm still not sure you can coordinate an effective FEDERAL response to something like this.  Restricting travel, closing borders and declaring an emergency (to further cut red tape) are pretty easy things for a POTUS to do once the experts tell him it's time to do it.

You're 100% correct - the one thing the POTUS can control is communication and providing confidence.  Neither of which Trump is very good at, normally.  You need to show people there's a viable plan so they don't fear anarchy.

Sun, Mar 15, 2020 10:17 AM
posted by gut

Once again, everyone points to the POTUS and I think he has very little to do with this.  One person can't coordinate this.  And it's not something that you can suddenly crank out a response.  That infrastructure and process has to already be in place, and like I said every time something like this happens we are found lacking (but usually learn from it and get better).

I'm still not sure you can coordinate an effective FEDERAL response to something like this.  Restricting travel, closing borders and declaring an emergency (to further cut red tape) are pretty easy things for a POTUS to do once the experts tell him it's time to do it.

You're 100% correct - the one thing the POTUS can control is communication and providing confidence.  Neither of which Trump is very good at, normally.  You need to show people there's a viable plan so they don't fear anarchy.

Well, whether you agree or disagree with the government's early actions, I'm glad Trump is giving it the weight it deserves. It's not in the president's power to stop diseases, but his most recent message was very good. 

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Mar 15, 2020 12:22 PM
posted by Spock

If there was ever a time to turn that shit off, if only for a few days...

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login