Impressed by the Trump administration part II

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 27, 2020 12:47 PM
posted by O-Trap

Oh, he's absolutely an idiot.  I would have thought practically everyone in the country understood the severity of a peanut allergy.

LOL, you know better.  30% of the country don't know who the VP is.  Kimmel ran a skit the last few nights and a bunch of people couldn't find any country in the Western hemisphere on a map.

Still, it never ceases to amaze just how stupid some people are.  And there are SOOOOOO many of them [insert George Carlin reference].

The anti-vaxxers really blow my mind though.  Many of them are supposedly well-educated.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 27, 2020 12:55 PM
posted by O-Trap

Eh, those who lean that way do seem to use the "snowflake" way too liberally, this case being a prime example.

Does the mention of the MAGA hat bother you?

And also use "snowflake" without having the self-awareness to realize they're the ones acting like a whiny bitch-boy.

"WAHHHHH!!!!! I-I-I shouldn't open peanuts because someone might have a very serious allergic reaction?!?!?! I can't believe how big a SNOWFLAKE they are!!!!!!"

Or, to a lesser degree that doesn't involve someone crying because his "rights" are being "trampled", CC crying because "MAGA hat" was used to describe what a stupid, whiny cunt was wearing.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Thu, Feb 27, 2020 12:55 PM
posted by gut

LOL, you know better.  30% of the country don't know who the VP is.  Kimmel ran a skit the last few nights and a bunch of people couldn't find any country in the Western hemisphere on a map.

Still, it never ceases to amaze just how stupid some people are.  And there are SOOOOOO many of them [insert George Carlin reference].

The anti-vaxxers really blow my mind though.  Many of them are supposedly well-educated.

Every anti-vaxxer I ever met isn't  smart... but they all think they are. And that's always been a very dangerous combination. Every one was an average to below average student.

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 27, 2020 2:36 PM
posted by gut

I probably should know better, yeah.  Consider it a part of whatever is left of innocence and hope in humanity.

Oh, man.  Don't get me started on anti-vaxxers.

posted by Heretic

And also use "snowflake" without having the self-awareness to realize they're the ones acting like a whiny bitch-boy.

"WAHHHHH!!!!! I-I-I shouldn't open peanuts because someone might have a very serious allergic reaction?!?!?! I can't believe how big a SNOWFLAKE they are!!!!!!"

Or, to a lesser degree that doesn't involve someone crying because his "rights" are being "trampled", CC crying because "MAGA hat" was used to describe what a stupid, whiny cunt was wearing.

Isn't that funny?  It really does seem like people who tend to use it are throwing an adult version of a tantrum because they can't have their way.

The MAGA hat thing just reinforces a stereotype.  It's like a correlation between the way a person drives and a bumper sticker.  Eventually, if it's consistent enough, you begin to associate the bumper sticker with a particular way of driving.

posted by kizer permanente

Every anti-vaxxer I ever met isn't  smart... but they all think they are. And that's always been a very dangerous combination. Every one was an average to below average student.

Yeah, I honestly haven't met a single anti-vaxxer who wasn't trying to be one, because as soon as you tell them anything that sounds like a coverup, they're already buying it and will only accept evidence that supports the notion.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Feb 27, 2020 3:33 PM
posted by Spock

Does the MAGA hat make his dickery multiply?

Not sure why you had to add that to the story.

I just thought it was funny because he also used the word snowflake - a very trendy term he probably picked up recently. 

I've seen people with Obama/Clinton/PETA gear doing or saying something stupid too. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Feb 27, 2020 4:17 PM
posted by O-Trap

Eh, those who lean that way do seem to use the "snowflake" way too liberally, this case being a prime example.

Does the mention of the MAGA hat bother you?

His virtue signaling (along with yours) bother me.  No need to wear the hat and no need to mention that tidbit when describing someones asshatery (no pun intended)

Thu, Feb 27, 2020 4:28 PM
posted by Spock

His virtue signaling (along with yours) bother me.  No need to wear the hat and no need to mention that tidbit when describing someones asshatery (no pun intended)

Virtue signaling - haha.   Sorry you're upset about his hat or my mentioning it. 

Thu, Feb 27, 2020 4:39 PM
posted by Spock

Erm ... do you know what virtue signaling is?  Because what he and I said wasn't it.

Again, the hat is like a bumper sticker.  The actions of a driver reflect on those with the views communicated through the bumper sticker, for better or worse.

Same applies to people wearing a hat, driving a particular kind of car, wearing certain clothes, etc.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 27, 2020 4:44 PM

“The Commerce Department said on Wednesday new home sales jumped 7.9% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 764,000 units last month, the highest level since July 2007.”

Take care.

Thu, Feb 27, 2020 4:50 PM
posted by QuakerOats

“The Commerce Department said on Wednesday new home sales jumped 7.9% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 764,000 units last month, the highest level since July 2007.”

Take care.

For the record, we know what happened shortly after July 2007.

Thu, Feb 27, 2020 5:08 PM
posted by O-Trap

For the record, we know what happened shortly after July 2007.

Yes, that's around the time Quaker' Obama Derangement Syndrome to hold of him. 🙂

Thu, Feb 27, 2020 5:20 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Yes, that's around the time Quaker' Obama Derangement Syndrome to hold of him. 🙂

I was thinking more along the lines of the housing market collapse that reverberated out to the entire global economy, but yeah, that too.

Thu, Feb 27, 2020 5:51 PM
posted by O-Trap

I was thinking more along the lines of the housing market collapse that reverberated out to the entire global economy, but yeah, that too.

Yes, that too. Can't believe that was 12-13 years ago. 

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 27, 2020 5:53 PM

Let me tell ya, was a FANTASTIC year to finish college.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Feb 27, 2020 6:11 PM
posted by O-Trap

Erm ... do you know what virtue signaling is?  Because what he and I said wasn't it.

Again, the hat is like a bumper sticker.  The actions of a driver reflect on those with the views communicated through the bumper sticker, for better or worse.

Same applies to people wearing a hat, driving a particular kind of car, wearing certain clothes, etc.

Read a little so you understand that the act of or expression of something in many forms can be characterized as "virtue signaling".

Virtue signaling rose in popularity as a pejorative term, denouncing empty acts of public commitment to unexceptional good causes. The term is characterized by the signaler's desire to show support for a cause without actually acting to support the cause in question. An important characteristic of virtue signaling is that there is little to no cost associated with the act; simple public vocalization in support of a cause has no cost to the signaler. In Bartholomew's original article, he describes virtue signaling as a public act with very little associated cost that is intended to inform others of one's socially acceptable alignment on an issue.[3] Geoffrey Miller describes virtue signaling as an innate act, and something that all humans do and cannot avoid.[12]

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 27, 2020 6:15 PM
posted by Spock

asshattery

Thu, Feb 27, 2020 7:22 PM
posted by Spock

Read a little so you understand that the act of or expression of something in many forms can be characterized as "virtue signaling".

Virtue signaling rose in popularity as a pejorative term, denouncing empty acts of public commitment to unexceptional good causes. The term is characterized by the signaler's desire to show support for a cause without actually acting to support the cause in question. An important characteristic of virtue signaling is that there is little to no cost associated with the act; simple public vocalization in support of a cause has no cost to the signaler. In Bartholomew's original article, he describes virtue signaling as a public act with very little associated cost that is intended to inform others of one's socially acceptable alignment on an issue.[3] Geoffrey Miller describes virtue signaling as an innate act, and something that all humans do and cannot avoid.[12]

This is great, but I think you're looking way too deep at this.  I live in Alabama.  If I saw someone with and OSU hat on doing something like that, I would have pointed that out as well (since I'm a native Ohioan).  Had the guy been wearing a "Vote Bernie" hat, I would have added that.    

Rotinaj Senior Member
7,878 posts 49 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 27, 2020 8:02 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

This is great, but I think you're looking way too deep at this.  I live in Alabama.  If I saw someone with and OSU hat on doing something like that, I would have pointed that out as well (since I'm a native Ohioan).  Had the guy been wearing a "Vote Bernie" hat, I would have added that.    

And so would CC. Also, odd that QO decided to post about the housing market. Isn’t the stock market usually his go to? Weird.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Thu, Feb 27, 2020 8:21 PM
posted by Spock

Thu, Feb 27, 2020 8:39 PM
posted by Rotinaj

And so would CC. Also, odd that QO decided to post about the housing market. Isn’t the stock market usually his go to? Weird.

When the market is up, it's because Trump did a great job that day. When it's down, sinister forces within the Democratic party are responsible. Don't you understand that?

Or it's because of the Big Bad Media. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login