2020 Presidential Election thread

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jan 9, 2021 4:51 PM

I think about the only thing worse than Trump undermining our elections would be to impeach a POTUS, current or former, over what amounts to free speech.  Same with the 25th, but at least there might be an argument for that.

It would be a horrible precedent to impeach a POTUS because you don't like what you say.  As bad as the crap he's been saying for 4 years has been, it would be an astoundingly fascist maneuver to impeach him for his speech.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jan 9, 2021 4:58 PM
posted by gut

And our soon to be new VP had the audacity to pretend the Capitol rioters got special treatment.  This has been going on for years.  The rhetoric from the left is just as divisive, inflammatory and dangerous as what Trump has been doing.  The only difference is a liberal media lends truth to that bullshit.

Biden said it too, they’re idiots. Fuck their fake unity crap. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jan 9, 2021 5:01 PM
posted by iclfan2

Yep.  The left never passes up a chance to make everything about racism.  It really fires up the useful idiots.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Sat, Jan 9, 2021 5:38 PM

I have always been puzzled by the so called “lies” and how bad Trump talks.  It all seems to be hugely subjective by the current media that hates him.

What he says most of the time is complete bait for the base and never once tried to reach elites and the left.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 8:07 AM
posted by geeblock

Lol violent blacks. I condemn blm violence a ton. Pay attention. There were over 1000 protests mostly peaceful. Maybe the protests turned violent because the police were weaponeized against its own citizens instead of showing the same restraint they showed people trying to subvert democ

Your second half of this post proves you are biased and not living in reality.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 12:23 PM
posted by geeblock

Lol violent blacks. I condemn blm violence a ton. Pay attention. There were over 1000 protests mostly peaceful. Maybe the protests turned violent because the police were weaponeized against its own citizens instead of showing the same restraint they showed people trying to subvert democ

False

QuakerOats Senior Member
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 12:27 PM
posted by iclfan2

Agree

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, Jan 15, 2021 5:02 PM

I guess we are going back to ..."change we can believe in"

BREAKING: Democrat donor and Biden supporter, Gang Chen was arrested for illegally selling secrets to China while employed by MIT. The professor received $19M from the Obama administration and $29M from the Chinese Communist Party.

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney’s Office

District of Massachusetts

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Thursday, January 14, 2021

MIT Professor Arrested and Charged with Grant Fraud

Defendant allegedly failed to disclose his work for the People’s Republic of China to U.S. Department of Energy

BOSTON – A professor and researcher at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) was charged and arrested today in connection with failing to disclose contracts, appointments and awards from various entities in the People’s Republic of China (PRC) to the U.S. Department of Energy.

Gang Chen, 56, was charged by criminal complaint with wire fraud, failing to file a foreign bank account report (FBAR) and making a false statement in a tax return. Chen will make an initial appearance today before Magistrate Judge Donald L. Cabell.

According to charging documents, Chen is a naturalized U.S. citizen who was born in China. He is a professor and researcher at MIT where he serves as Director of the MIT Pappalardo Micro/Nano Engineering Laboratory and Director of the Solid-State Solar Thermal Energy Conversion Center (S3TEC). Since approximately 2013, Chen’s research at MIT has been funded by more than $19 million in grants awarded by various U.S. federal agencies.

Since 2012, Chen has allegedly held various appointments with the PRC designed to promote the PRC’s technological and scientific development by providing advice and expertise – sometimes directly to PRC government officials – and often in exchange for financial compensation. This includes acting as an “overseas expert” for the PRC government at the request of the PRC Consulate Office in New York and serving as a member of at least two PRC Talent Programs. Since 2013, Chen allegedly received approximately $29 million of foreign funding, including $19 million from the PRC’s Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech).

It is further alleged that Chen’s efforts to promote the PRC’s scientific and economic development were partially detailed in a February 2016 email that Chen sent himself using his MIT e-mail account.  The email read:

1. promote chinese collaboration

2. China places innovation (scientific) as key and core not fashion [sic], but because

we must do it, from historic trend as well from our stage

3. our economy is no. 2, but from technology (structure of economy) and human

resources, we are far from no. 2

4. we are paying big price in environment, not sustainable, as well as from labor cost

5. environment protection and development in same place, environment even higher, clean energy if higher cost, reduce steel, cement. We must count on technology, cannot grow as past

6. communist 18th convention, scientific innovation placed at core. We realize not just independent innovation; but also internationalize to plan for and facilitate. Closed door innovation does not work; innovation as driving force

From at least 2017 to 2019 when Chen was serving in several advisory roles for the PRC and PRC entities, Chen applied for and obtained a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) grant in order to fund a portion of his research at MIT.  In doing so, it is alleged that Chen failed to disclose information about his ongoing affiliations with the PRC as required by DOE.

Chen also allegedly failed to disclose to the IRS in his 2018 tax return that he maintained a bank account in the PRC with more than $10,000 in 2018.

The charge of wire fraud provides for a sentence of up to 20 years in prison, three years of supervised release and a fine of up to $250,000. The charge of making false statements provides for a sentence of up to five years in prison, three years of supervised release and a fine of $250,000. The charge of failing to file an FBAR provides for a sentence of up to five years in prison, three years of supervised release and a fine of $250,000. Sentences are imposed by a federal district court judge based upon the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

United States Attorney Andrew E. Lelling; Joseph R. Bonavolonta, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Boston Field Division; Patrick J. Hegarty, Special Agent in Charge of the U.S. Department of Defense, Defense Criminal Investigative Service, Northeast Field Office; William S. Walker, Acting Special Agent in Charge of Homeland Security Investigation, Boston; Joleen Simpson, Acting Special Agent in Charge of the Internal Revenue Service’s Criminal Investigation in Boston; and Jim Breckenridge, Special Agent in Charge of the Department of Energy, Office of Inspector General made the announcement today. Assistant U.S. Attorneys B. Stephanie Siegmann, Chief of Lelling’s National Security Unit, and Jason Casey and Timothy Kistner also of Lelling’s National Security Unit are prosecuting the case with assistance from Trial Attorney David Aaron of the National Security Division’s Counterintelligence and Export Control Section.

The details contained in the charging documents are allegations. The defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Jan 15, 2021 6:11 PM

May be a bad actor and I'm glad he's been found out. The title makes it sound like he's some sort of democrat power broker. I googled his ties to Biden and all I could find was a right wing blog with - coincidentally - the exact same wording as the title you posted. Nothing else. 

Is this what we have to look forward to over the next four years from you?

QuakerOats Senior Member
Mon, Jan 18, 2021 2:00 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

May be a bad actor and I'm glad he's been found out. The title makes it sound like he's some sort of democrat power broker. I googled his ties to Biden and all I could find was a right wing blog with - coincidentally - the exact same wording as the title you posted. Nothing else. 

Is this what we have to look forward to over the next four years from you?

Is this what we have to look forward to from another Biden administration for four years?

Of course, we won't know one-tenth of the corruption going on as it will all be neatly swept under the rug by the complicit media and establishment.

Mon, Jan 18, 2021 2:10 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Is this what we have to look forward to from another Biden administration for four years?

Of course, we won't know one-tenth of the corruption going on as it will all be neatly swept under the rug by the complicit media and establishment.

You're letting this stuff consume you.

Devils Advocate Brudda o da bomber
4,899 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 18, 2021 4:55 PM

I agree. That fucker is definitely ate up.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 18, 2021 6:09 PM
posted by Devils Advocate

I agree. That fucker is definitely ate up.

He gets ate up by poli-stuff the same way a smackhead does with heroin. Except for how the junkie is more reasonable, grounded in reality and has more societal worth, but similar in theory!

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Jan 19, 2021 9:46 AM

Not at all, however the 'price of liberty is eternal vigilance'.

Tue, Jan 19, 2021 10:42 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Not at all, however the 'price of liberty is eternal vigilance'.

"The price of liberty is immersing myself in right wing opinion writings."

GOONx19 An exceptional poster.
7,413 posts 94 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 19, 2021 4:38 PM

Do you think that the grant money described in the article you copied is awarded, or even under consideration, by a White House appointed official? That’s not remotely how the grant process works. 

This part of the headline is inane and illogical: “The professor received $19M from the Obama administration”.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, Jan 20, 2021 12:23 AM
posted by GOONx19

Do you think that the grant money described in the article you copied is awarded, or even under consideration, by a White House appointed official? That’s not remotely how the grant process works. 

This part of the headline is inane and illogical: “The professor received $19M from the Obama administration”.

I can confirm, that government grants and/or contracts typically do not work this way.  However, there is an authority that (somewhat) allows what you just spoke of, although highly unlikely.   Even without that authority, there is sketchy shit that happens all the time with federal grants/contracts.  All it takes is one or two people with heavy influence to pressure the right people. 

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 21, 2021 3:12 AM

So on the heels of the dems wanting to go after the right for "muh domestic terrorism!" antifa proceeded to destroy the dem office in Portland yesterday.

Thu, Jan 21, 2021 3:13 AM

Also Brennan goes on MSNBC to say that libertarians must be targeted, too, along with white supremacists and domestic terrorists.
I wonder if he has Biden's ear.

Thu, Jan 21, 2021 3:16 AM

And here we see that the media will be wearing velvet gloves when they cup Biden's balls.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login