2020 Presidential Election thread

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Mon, Oct 12, 2020 3:51 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Libertarians don't want to "limit authority". It's already limited by the constitution, which is being ignored in large measure. We want them to follow the rules.

Ok. I understand that.  Like I said, I don’t know many libertarians personally. The ones I do just don’t like paying taxes and don’t think they should have to. Their whole mantra is “taxation is theft”. I just wondered how you function as a society that way. 

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 12, 2020 6:21 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Ok. I understand that.  Like I said, I don’t know many libertarians personally. The ones I do just don’t like paying taxes and don’t think they should have to. Their whole mantra is “taxation is theft”. I just wondered how you function as a society that way. 

I start by getting past "Argumentum ad Governmentum", the flawed idea that because the government provides a service, it's the only way the service can be provided. Also known as the "MUH ROADS!" argument. A large public sector is not required to have a society.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 12, 2020 6:45 PM

I start by getting past "Argumentum ad Governmentum", the flawed idea that because the government provides a service, it's the only way the service can be provided. Also known as the "MUH ROADS!" argument. A large public sector is not required to have a society.

The liberals love to cherry-pick certain things that work well in certain countries in Europe.  But what they miss, probably intentionally, is Europe has many different approaches and philosophies about governing and social insurance.  The US is at least as geographically, racially and ethnic diverse as Europe.  A leviathon of federal bureaucracy would never work across Europe, so why do liberals keep thinking that's the solution in the US?

If you want to live like Californians, then move to CA.  Keep CA in CA and don't force it on everyone else because it's not what everyone wants.

I'd even go as far as to suggest some [many?] of our states are still too large and diverse to deliver effective "one-size fits all" solutions.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 6:53 PM

Do you believe all “services” a government supplies would be provided by private sector ? 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Mon, Oct 12, 2020 7:52 PM
posted by gut

The liberals love to cherry-pick certain things that work well in certain countries in Europe.  But what they miss, probably intentionally, is Europe has many different approaches and philosophies about governing and social insurance.  The US is at least as geographically, racially and ethnic diverse as Europe.  A leviathon of federal bureaucracy would never work across Europe, so why do liberals keep thinking that's the solution in the US?

If you want to live like Californians, then move to CA.  Keep CA in CA and don't force it on everyone else because it's not what everyone wants.

I'd even go as far as to suggest some [many?] of our states are still too large and diverse to deliver effective "one-size fits all" solutions.

this.  Basically the country is being held hostage by a Califirnia Liberal and a NY liberal.  Doesnt seem like the system should work that way.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:06 PM

Do you believe all “services” a government supplies would be provided by private sector ? 

All the services the federal government is not specifically authorized to provide, yes.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:28 PM

All the services the federal government is not specifically authorized to provide, yes.

Ok. I’d say bold prediction since humans aren’t especially known for their altruism.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:33 PM

Ok. I’d say bold prediction since humans aren’t especially known for their altruism.

In 2018, $410 billion was donated to charity in the U.S. Several billion dollars worth of work is donated annually as well. I would have to disagree with your statement. Note that even if true, it doesn't justify forcible taking.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:35 PM

Yeah I wonder how much of that $410 billion went to Peoples churches and never filtered further than that? 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:37 PM

Yeah I wonder how much of that $410 billion went to Peoples churches and never filtered further than that? 

Are you anti religion too? The right has been proven to donate way more money than the left. We don’t need the nanny government  to take care of poor people. 

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:37 PM

Do you have a link to that figure so I can try to see what they consider charity?  I’d imagine tithing is wrapped in that right? 

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:39 PM
posted by iclfan2

Are you anti religion too? The right has been proven to donate way more money than the left. We don’t need the nanny government  to take care of poor people. 

Not in general. Well maybe in general. 

There’s a reason televangelists have private 747’s and multiple mansions and the Catholic Church is one of the biggest property owners in NYC. But yeah helping poor people seems to be worked in after all that.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:44 PM

Do you have a link to that figure so I can try to see what they consider charity?  I’d imagine tithing is wrapped in that right? 

Google it. Are you going to cherry pick where charity giving goes? You do know audits exist and churches just can’t say they donate money but instead keep it? But I’m sure Planned Parenthood would much better use donations. Or the bail out fund letting out shitty cunts from jail for being assholes

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:45 PM

Not in general. Well maybe in general. 

There’s a reason televangelists have private 747’s and multiple mansions and the Catholic Church is one of the biggest property owners in NYC. But yeah helping poor people seems to be worked in after all that.

No real religious person agrees with mega churches and dumb shit like that. We can agree on that. Do you only care about poor people? 

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:47 PM

Apropos Eastwood clip.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:48 PM
posted by iclfan2

Google it. Are you going to cherry pick where charity giving goes? You do know audits exist and churches just can’t say they donate money but instead keep it? But I’m sure Planned Parenthood would much better use donations. Or the bail out fund letting out shitty cunts from jail for being assholes

Did. It’s pretty vague. Doesn’t break down other than how much by people and corporations and such.. not to who. 

No I don’t think they lie about how much donations they give of your donations to poor people, I just don’t think it’s a real big percentage. If it were, we wouldn’t need the federal government to step in.  I do however think you’re delusional if you think people and private organizations will make sure poor people are getting enough to at least maintain poverty levels.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:50 PM
posted by iclfan2

No real religious person agrees with mega churches and dumb shit like that. We can agree on that. Do you only care about poor people? 

Of course not. They would just be the most neglected if we left it up to private industry and churches to make sure they’re supported.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:52 PM

Did. It’s pretty vague. Doesn’t break down other than how much by people and corporations and such.. not to who. 

No I don’t think they lie about how much donations they give your donations to. I just don’t think it’s a real big percentage. If it were, we wouldn’t need the federal government to step in.  I do however think you’re delusional if you think people and private organizations will make sure poor people are getting enough to at least maintain poverty levels.

I don’t actually care if they do or not. That’s the difference. I don’t think the government is responsible to make every dipshit be able to live comfortably.  Maybe people should donate to real causes vs the dumbshit you see on the Internet instead. 

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:54 PM
posted by iclfan2

I don’t actually care if they do or not. That’s the difference. I don’t think the government is responsible to make every dipshit be able to live comfortably.  Maybe people should donate to real causes vs the dumbshit you see on the Internet instead. 

You’re not alone. But kinda proves my point why libertarianism wouldn’t work and the poor class would grow and standard of living would decline exponentially under their watch right ? 

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:56 PM
You’re not alone. But kinda proves my point why libertarianism wouldn’t work and the poor class and standard of living would decline exponentially under their watch right ? 

Had it declined under Trump? Or just stayed the same? The cities full of poor people are the left ones... so it isn’t a conservative thing. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login