2020 Presidential Election thread

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:56 PM

And if you think government assistance is making poor people live comfortably, maybe meet some poor people? 

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 8:58 PM
posted by iclfan2

Had it declined under Trump? Or just stayed the same? The cities full of poor people are the left ones... so it isn’t a conservative thing. 

Is Trump libertarian? Did we get rid of taxes for their support? I’m not sure what he has to do with it? 

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 9:01 PM
posted by iclfan2

Had it declined under Trump? Or just stayed the same? The cities full of poor people are the left ones... so it isn’t a conservative thing. 

Wow how did I miss this one? Lol. So poor is a Democrat city thing. Not like entire states that vote red? 
iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 12, 2020 9:08 PM
posted by kizer permanente
Wow how did I miss this one? Lol. So poor is a Democrat city thing. Not like entire states that vote red? 

Cities have money to do what they please. Obv there are red cities that are poor, but you also have huge ones like Detroit that are blue. Should the rest of the country pay for them? The point is the federal government shouldn’t be deciding this.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 9:13 PM
posted by iclfan2

Cities have money to do what they please. Obv there are red cities that are poor, but you also have huge ones like Detroit that are blue. Should the rest of the country pay for them? The point is the federal government shouldn’t be deciding this.

What you don’t seem to understand is when you let the poor class grow, the economy shrinks. Crime rates go up. Education and literacy levels go down... it’s not a trend you want your country heading too. It doesn’t make for a promising future of being a global leader.  

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 12, 2020 9:32 PM

What you don’t seem to understand is when you let the poor class grow, the economy shrinks. Crime rates go up. Education and literacy levels go down... it’s not a trend you want your country heading too. It doesn’t make for a promising future of being a global leader.  

So are you saying the "New Deal" and "Great Society" were abject failures?

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 9:34 PM
posted by majorspark

So are you saying the "New Deal" and "Great Society" were abject failures?

Like when Nixon and Reagan cut them or what? 

majorspark Senior Member
Mon, Oct 12, 2020 9:53 PM

Like when Nixon and Reagan cut them or what? 

Ok got it.  The dastardly duo fucked it up.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 10:03 PM
posted by majorspark

Ok got it.  The dastardly duo fucked it up.

I was asking you a question. Is that why you consider them failures? What happened to poverty rates after he ended Lbjs programs ...11% to 15% it looks Iike? 

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 10:40 PM

Btw... poverty levels fell 19.5% to 11% in that time. 

https://go.gale.com/ps/i.do?p=GPS&u=wikipedia&id=GALE%7CA612580996&v=2.1&it=r&sid=GPS&asid=e186c81a

In the long run, statistical analysis shows that the Official Poverty Rate fell from 19.5 percent in 1963 to 12.3 percent in 2017. However, using a broader definition that includes cash income, taxes, and major in-kind transfers and inflation rates, the "Full-income Poverty Rate" based on President Johnson's standards fell from 19.5 percent to 2.3 percent over that period”

I mean... seems more of a failure on Reagan’s part tbh. 

majorspark Senior Member
Mon, Oct 12, 2020 10:43 PM

I was asking you a question. Is that why you consider them failures? What happened to poverty rates after he ended Lbjs programs ...11% to 15% it looks Iike? 

You were not just asking me a question.  Like me you cloak a point in the form of a question.  Which "he" are you referring to?  Nixon or Reagan?  And how did either one or both single handedly end or cut LBJ's program?

Government programs are kind of like the horseleach in proverbs its never enough.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 10:45 PM
posted by majorspark

You were not just asking me a question.  Like me you cloak a point in the form of a question.  Which "he" are you referring to?  Nixon or Reagan?  And how did either one or both single handedly end or cut LBJ's program?

Government programs are kind of like the horseleach in proverbs its never enough.

I was asking you a question. Did you consider the Great society or new deal failures bc they were done away with? As I showed, the Great society act was pretty effective cutting poverty rates which is what you specifically asked about. 

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 10:51 PM
posted by majorspark

Reagan defunded the Great society act in the Gramm-Latta Budget where he shifted the money towards military spending.  Do you think taking money from poor people and giving to Lockheed and Boeing may have contributed to the 4% increase in poverty rates? 

majorspark Senior Member
Mon, Oct 12, 2020 11:15 PM

Reagan defunded the Great society act in the Gramm-Latta Budget where he shifted the money towards military spending.  Do you think taking money from poor people and giving to Lockheed and Boeing may have contributed to the 4% increase in poverty rates? 

So a duly elected divided federal legislature led by Reagan in the executive utilizing federal power which you are humping cut short the utopia.  Not just one man.

Concentrated power in the hands of a few allow the corporate boogeymen you mention a larger trough to feed in.  Don't be fooled by the false promises of those seeking the centralization of power.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020 11:22 PM

Lol

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 8:51 AM
He only sees blacks people as being poor and on welfare. He ignores the fact that most people are on welfare are white and don’t live in big cities 
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 9:24 AM
posted by geeblock
He only sees blacks people as being poor and on welfare. He ignores the fact that most people are on welfare are white and don’t live in big cities 

My moms family is from West Virginia and my cousins still live there.  Most people don’t know what poor is until they go to the hills of small town WV.  

Guess how they all vote and who their favorite guy in the world is? 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 9:30 AM
posted by geeblock
He ignores the fact that most people are on welfare are white and don’t live in big cities 

Interesting, because that's also true of people killed by police....yet to hear Lebron tell it cops are hunting black people.

geeblock Member
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 9:56 AM

My moms family is from West Virginia and my cousins still live there.  Most people don’t know what poor is until they go to the hills of small town WV.  

Guess how they all vote and who their favorite guy in the world is? 

I am also from West Virginia and I can confirm 

geeblock Member
Tue, Oct 13, 2020 9:58 AM
posted by gut

Interesting, because that's also true of people killed by police....yet to hear Lebron tell it cops are hunting black people.

Well actually the data supports that a disproportionate amount of UNARMED blacks people are killed by police so no that’s not a good comparison. Let’s also stick to the subject and not go down that rabbit hole for the 20th time 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login