Poll: Where is Lebron Headed this Offseason?

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 1, 2018 10:04 PM
posted by like_that

I'd put it both on them.  They both have ridiculous egos. You're acting like it's very easy to work with Lebron.  Just like his first time in Cleveland he made it every difficult for the Cavs to make moves they otherwise would have tried to make with more commitment.  

Edit:  To add, I don't think it was DG who made Kyrie want to leave. 

I’m not saying it’s 100% on Gilbert. But come on, the guy fucking sucks and has ruined this franchise. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sun, Jul 1, 2018 10:08 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

I’m not saying it’s 100% on Gilbert. But come on, the guy fucking sucks and has ruined this franchise. 

The guy also spent a shit ton in the luxury, took on bad contracts while Lebron was gone, and is the only owner to bring a title to Cleveland the last 50+ years.  I can say with confidence if DG doesn't buy from the Gunds, they never win a title.  Ruining the franchise is a hot take. 

The whole letter thing was petty, but at the same time it's fucking stupid to for Lebron to against him since he came back.  

cat_lover Senior Member
3,629 posts 44 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 1, 2018 10:26 PM

Gilbert spent the money to help win a Championship and I am grateful for that. Look at the other owners that Cleveland has:

The Dolans- cheap. won't spend money.

Haslem- Total idiot

I would take an owner like Gilbert over those bozos any day.

Sun, Jul 1, 2018 10:39 PM

Lol, the billionaire owner spent luxury tax money?! Wow!! What a guy!

cat_lover Senior Member
3,629 posts 44 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 1, 2018 10:54 PM

All I know is if the Gund's still owned the team we would have ZERO Championships. We will just have to disagree on the Gilbert thing.

thavoice Senior Member
15,437 posts 42 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 1, 2018 10:54 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

What the fuck you talking about?

He got the King to come back to Cleveland. What big time players leave and come back?

He got them a championship, and other than the Lake Erie Monsters the people of Cleveland haven't seen a championship in a very long time.

Seems like he has done a pretty good job....got you a title.

Now, in 5 or so years when the Browns and Haslan bring you a title then Gilbert will fall to second place in great owners of cleveland

Sun, Jul 1, 2018 10:55 PM
posted by cat_lover

Gilbert spent the money to help win a Championship and I am grateful for that. Look at the other owners that Cleveland has:

Haslem- Total idiot

You’re comparing him to other terrible owners.  Tallest midget theory. Doesn’t make him an even decent owner. We won a championship in spite of Gilbert, not because of him. 

Classyposter58 Senior Member
6,458 posts 11 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 2, 2018 12:11 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

You’re comparing him to other terrible owners.  Tallest midget theory. Doesn’t make him an even decent owner. We won a championship in spite of Gilbert, not because of him. 

Gilbert is considered a bad owner by Cleveland fans?

jordo212000 Senior Member
10,676 posts 11 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 2, 2018 6:41 AM
posted by cat_lover

Haslem- Total idiot

The Indians have been among the best teams in baseball for the past 3-4 years? They played in the World Series and should have won it? I think they’ve managed the franchise quite well. 

Mon, Jul 2, 2018 6:56 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

Lol, the billionaire owner spent luxury tax money?! Wow!! What a guy!

Yeah, because every billionaire owner is doing that!  You're having quite the selective memory right now.

The fact of the matter is 95% of owners aren't willing to take on shitty contracts or spend in the luxury for years like DG did.  You don't have to look any further than Lebron at Miami.  The heat started to let players go, because Mickey Arson didn't want to pay for them.  That would not have happened with DG. Be mad at DG, but to pout and act like he is the worst owner is ridiculous.  There are plenty of franchises in all sports that would die to have him as an owner.  At the very least he cared more about winning than making a profit off of his team.

Mon, Jul 2, 2018 6:56 AM
posted by turdo212000

The Indians have been among the best teams in baseball for the past 3-4 years? They played in the World Series and should have won it? I think they’ve managed the franchise quite well. 

So, using this argument, Dan Gilbert has been one of the best owners in all of sports for the last 4 years?  Turdo, you're a fucking idiot. 

Mon, Jul 2, 2018 7:16 AM
posted by like_that

Yeah, because every billionaire owner is doing that!  You're having quite the selective memory right now.

The fact of the matter is 95% of owners aren't willing to take on shitty contracts or spend in the luxury for years like DG did.  You don't have to look any further than Lebron at Miami.  The heat started to let players go, because Mickey Arson didn't want to pay for them.  That would not have happened with DG. Be mad at DG, but to pout and act like he is the worst owner is ridiculous.  There are plenty of franchises in all sports that would die to have him as an owner.  At the very least he cared more about winning than making a profit off of his team.

Not pouting. It’s just very obvious that DG was very difficult to work with and by him having his hand in basketball decisions really screwed over th cavs. I could name 5 things he did that screwed this franchise, but if you want to ignore those because he spent some money (again, he’s a billionaire) than by all means. But don’t say I’m the one with selective memory. 

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Mon, Jul 2, 2018 7:25 AM
posted by cat_lover

Disagree.  They will spend the money if they can.  They went out to obtain Encarnacion, retained Brantley.  They won't overspend like Gilbert does.  They can't overbid to retain aging veterans like NYY or PHI or LAA.  They are fair for owning a team in the 17th largest market without a salary cap to keep things equal like the NFL.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Mon, Jul 2, 2018 7:39 AM

Yeah, to put the blame on Gilbert here is absurd. Yes, he's made bad decisions (letting David Griffin walk was probably the biggest, the letter...which most of us cheered for at the time, etc) but Lebron's hands are just as dirty. LBJ got to pick & choose who he wanted to get paid, which helped put them in this shitty situation. The Cavs were handcuffed as to what they could bring in and he walked away from a situation he helped create.

I wanted him to stick around a few more years (no more than 3) just to keep basketball relevant/watchable in Cleveland. Did I think they'd win another ring? No. Just like I don't think he'll win another ring in LA.

By the time that contract is done (in LA) if he opts in for the 4th year, he'll be going on 38 years old. Within a couple of years his play is going to drop off. I also factor in that he's dodged a bullet on the major injury front, which could hit at any time. Would've preferred he stayed a few more years but I'm nowhere near as upset about this as him leaving the first time. I literally hated his guts with his "Decision."

Mon, Jul 2, 2018 8:19 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

Not pouting. It’s just very obvious that DG was very difficult to work with and by him having his hand in basketball decisions really screwed over th cavs. I could name 5 things he did that screwed this franchise, but if you want to ignore those because he spent some money (again, he’s a billionaire) than by all means. But don’t say I’m the one with selective memory. 

I am not ignoring those.  I acknowledge the fact he is a pain in the ass and is the Jerry Jones of the NBA.  Can we both agree that if he and Lebron both did things differently, they probably would have had more than 1 title?  There are many examples on both sides and we can go back and forth all day.  For instance, you brought up trading for PG.  DG was already burnt once by Lebron, can you blame him for asking Lebron's commitment before going for that trade?  Based on past history, I can't say I blame the guy. Lebron could have easily given him a "fuck yeah I want PG here with Kyrie, lets do it."  Instead he went into classic Lebron passive aggressive mode and give him the silent treatment for pretty much an entire year.  With egos that large it takes two to tango. Also, When we say its a tough pill to swallow that we only got one title out of Lebron's 11 years, it is also hard to hold 2015 against both Lebron and DG.   That team would have beaten GSW with Kyrie and Love, no doubt in my mind.  This is without mentioning the bullshit travel call in game 1 that would have also swung the series in the Cavs favor.

At least this time DG wasn't left with a bare cupboard. Acting like he is the worst owner in the history of Cleveland is a joke though.  I get it, in the heat of the moment we are going to be pissed, but when the dust settles my belief is people will be grateful over for DG.  Most of us sure were when we won the title in 2016. 
Also, if KD doesn't pull the biggest bitch move and break the NBA, I don't even think this comes close to happening.  We are talking about at least two titles right now.  

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 2, 2018 8:21 AM

Here's the Lee Jenkins piece on "Decision 3.0" 

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/07/02/lebron-james-lakers-cavaliers-nba-free-agency-magic-johnson

I think it makes the obvious and understandable point that Lebron related more to Magic. IMO, this move isn't just about 3-4 years as a player but also a role in the organization after he retires. 

There was one particular line that bothered me, though:

He wants to build a contender that lasts and believes the Lakers possess the recruiters, the assets and the salary cap space to do it.

Enjoy your cap space, assets, draft picks, etc. now. The Cavs don't have any of that because of catering to you the past few years. 

Mon, Jul 2, 2018 8:23 AM

I am honestly not that upset.  I saw this coming last summer. He was literally doing the same exact shit before his other 2 decisions.  I just didn't see him going to LA, because I really don't think that puts him in a position to win a title.  Maybe Klay plans to leave GSW for LA (this has been a rumor) after next season?

I am probably not that upset either, because even if Lebron stayed, the cavs most likely were not getting out of the East with their current roster.  As BR stated, Lebron ain't getting any younger.  He can't be a super human forever, his age is going to catch up.  Basically the good times were coming to an end sooner rather than later.  The main thing I am pissed about is he left for nothing when we could have traded him.  My friends called me an idiot last summer when i said we should have traded him and kept Kyrie instead.  

Edit: I think LA must have some moves up their sleeves that convinced Lebron to sign. Perhaps Cousins will sign with them?  If not, their roster as it stands now isn't going to make it to the WCF imo. 

vball10set paying it forward
26,788 posts 121 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 2, 2018 8:26 AM

Promise delivered...good luck LBJ, and thank you...moving on...

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 2, 2018 9:10 AM

I hope Lonzo is actually on the block and he and his family gets shipped to some garbage market. A trade for Boogie would be nice (if that's even possible)

Mon, Jul 2, 2018 9:15 AM
posted by like_that

I am not ignoring those.  I acknowledge the fact he is a pain in the ass and is the Jerry Jones of the NBA.  Can we both agree that if he and Lebron both did things differently, they probably would have had more than 1 title?  There are many examples on both sides and we can go back and forth all day.  For instance, you brought up trading for PG.  DG was already burnt once by Lebron, can you blame him for asking Lebron's commitment before going for that trade?  Based on past history, I can't say I blame the guy. Lebron could have easily given him a "fuck yeah I want PG here with Kyrie, lets do it."  Instead he went into classic Lebron passive aggressive mode and give him the silent treatment for pretty much an entire year.  With egos that large it takes two to tango. Also, When we say its a tough pill to swallow that we only got one title out of Lebron's 11 years, it is also hard to hold 2015 against both Lebron and DG.   That team would have beaten GSW with Kyrie and Love, no doubt in my mind.  This is without mentioning the bullshit travel call in game 1 that would have also swung the series in the Cavs favor.

At least this time DG wasn't left with a bare cupboard. Acting like he is the worst owner in the history of Cleveland is a joke though.  I get it, in the heat of the moment we are going to be pissed, but when the dust settles my belief is people will be grateful over for DG.  Most of us sure were when we won the title in 2016. 
Also, if KD doesn't pull the biggest bitch move and break the NBA, I don't even think this comes close to happening.  We are talking about at least two titles right now.  

I’m not really against anything you’re saying. I just can see why Lebron is leaving this time and I don’t blame him at all. DG was basically salivating over the thought of Lebron leaving—to “get his team back”

im only mad at this because this franchise is probably 5 years away from competing again.  Just went from 4 straight finals to probably 5 straight losing seasons because of BOTH Lebron and DG’s decisions over the last few years. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login