NCAA Football 2023

MontyBrunswick Senior Member
1,065 posts 16 reps Joined Mar 2015
Fri, Dec 29, 2023 11:28 PM

First off, the Cotton Bowl was boring as fuck.

Secondly, I think that's the most indifferent I've been about an OSU game in the past decade. Didn't care if they won or lost.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 2:25 AM

Whoa. Brown is too fragile to be a mobile, running QB and Kienholz or whatever played too scared for this level. His main move was the backpedal-and-toss.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 6:24 AM

Why don’t they open the transfer portal after these games? Top talent is already skipping them with their sights on the draft. Now players are missing the games because they’ve already committed to another team next year. 

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 7:53 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Why don’t they open the transfer portal after these games? Top talent is already skipping them with their sights on the draft. Now players are missing the games because they’ve already committed to another team next year. 

I think that some of it is because of the academic calendar. Some schools start Spring semester shortly after New Year.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 6:09 PM

42-3 at the half? Woof.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 6:23 PM

FSU without their stud Travis and 16 other players entered portal?….and 6 more not playing for BNFK draft purposes? Is that correct?

The Bowls are a downhill tumblr

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 7:25 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

But would that really make a difference?  If you plan on entering the portal, you probably aren't risking injury in a bowl game potentially impacting your opportunities.

There are too many bowl games, in general.  It's not fair to the athletes to have to practice another month for a meaningless game.  Most of these guys will never sniff pro ball, and oddly enough the teams playing often lose money because of the conference share.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 8:21 PM

CFB seems to be in a free fall. Last night’s Ohio State and today’s FSU are easy examples. But so many of these bowl games are stupid.  Minnesota with a losing record was in a bowl.  What the fuck is that?  The sport better get it together or it’s going to end up like college basketball - a sport no one but diehards care about until the tournament when people only care because of gambling.

Sat, Dec 30, 2023 8:37 PM
posted by gut

But would that really make a difference?  If you plan on entering the portal, you probably aren't risking injury in a bowl game potentially impacting your opportunities.

There are too many bowl games, in general.  It's not fair to the athletes to have to practice another month for a meaningless game.  Most of these guys will never sniff pro ball, and oddly enough the teams playing often lose money because of the conference share.

You might be right. Just think it’s a weird look for OSU’s QB for example to not play in the team’s final game because he’s already announced his intention to play for a different team next year. IMO the NCAA needs to do something because these games that people already passively cared about are getting less intriguing. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 9:55 PM

There are not too many bowls. I think that is a short sighted argument. The kids playing in the lower bowls still care about it. Hell, Wyoming had a game winning field goal to beat Toledo in their coach's last game. Minnesota also won their bowl game over an ok BG team, so yeah, good for those kids. JMU and Jacksonville St got to go to a bowl as well, their first since coming up to the FBS level. 

It is a calendar problem, but I also think this year is a weird one as next year everything changes. 

I doubt you see as many opt outs if a team is in the 12 team playoff.

They also need to change the transfer window date. Having it in December makes little football sense. I understand the academic calendar, but there needs to be some flexibility. 

The recruiting window should shift back to the spring too, after the transfer window. Having them on top of each other is dumb.

Opt outs for non playoff teams for the draft is going to happen, sure. But, those games will still largely be good. I've enjoyed this bowl season largely. The pop tarts bowl was hilarious and fun. 

I also highly doubt college football suffers in the long run. It is the 2nd most popular sport in the country. It is fine in its own dysfunctional way. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 10:13 PM

I think the better bowl games anymore are the middle to bottom tier games….those schools, fans and teams aren’t Georgia and are proud of their 8-4 season and happy to be in the Mayonnaise Bowl

Those teams don’t have a list of NFL Draft guys or 8 guys in the portal.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 10:48 PM
posted by Ironman92

I think the better bowl games anymore are the middle to bottom tier games….those schools, fans and teams aren’t Georgia and are proud of their 8-4 season and happy to be in the Mayonnaise Bowl

Those teams don’t have a list of NFL Draft guys or 8 guys in the portal.

The playoff next year eliminates most of that. No one is transferring or sitting from any of the teams in the new years six games next year.

If we had it this year, OSU would have played Ole Miss or Penn St two weeks ago in the 1st round at the Shoe for example. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 10:59 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

The playoff next year eliminates most of that. No one is transferring or sitting from any of the teams in the new years six games next year.

If we had it this year, OSU would have played Ole Miss or Penn St two weeks ago in the 1st round at the Shoe for example. 

I get that…but still say the 2nd best MAC team vs Wyoming and 7-5 WVU vs 8-4 Arizona will be a good bowl game

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Jan 1, 2024 1:30 PM

Wisconsin/LSU is good! Both teams care (once Wisconsin got up 14-0, LSU now cares)

Heretic Son of the Sun
Mon, Jan 1, 2024 2:33 PM
posted by Ironman92

Wisconsin/LSU is good! Both teams care (once Wisconsin got up 14-0, LSU now cares)

I'm watching this one right now in my post-NYE hangover status. I've come to a very important decision: That we as a people really need to band together and force all TV networks to never show that commercial with the Jardiance whale ever again during a sporting event.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Jan 1, 2024 2:54 PM
posted by Heretic

I'm watching this one right now in my post-NYE hangover status. I've come to a very important decision: That we as a people really need to band together and force all TV networks to never show that commercial with the Jardiance whale ever again during a sporting event.

“I have Type 2 diabetes, but I manage it well.”

No, you clearly don’t.  It’s clear that diet and exercise are not a priority.  

JFC, Jarviance can cause ganegrene on your taint.  It says it right in the commercial.

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Jan 1, 2024 2:55 PM
posted by Heretic

I’m pretty good at playing on my phone and ignoring commercials…but also I had Burger King for lunch yesterday too 🤷🏻‍♂️

Heretic Son of the Sun
Mon, Jan 1, 2024 3:03 PM

In the biggest shock of the bowl season, Iowa's in the third quarter of their game and still hasn't scored a single point. Man, who'd expect that high-powered offense to be choked out in a big game?

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Jan 1, 2024 3:20 PM
posted by Heretic

In the biggest shock of the bowl season, Iowa's in the third quarter of their game and still hasn't scored a single point. Man, who'd expect that high-powered offense to be choked out in a big game?

Was nervous the entire OSU game thinking the punter is sure to leave for Iowa

Mon, Jan 1, 2024 3:31 PM
posted by Heretic

In my minor inconvenience hell thread from a couple months ago I mentioned this commercial. It’s weird. Take this medication with a couple dozen terrible possible side effects, or just walk more. Eh let’s go with the medication and dance about it. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login