Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 2, 2024 12:50 AM

NCAA choosing Texas

Ironman92 Administrator
Tue, Jan 2, 2024 12:51 AM

Did my part 

Another coach gets bailed out…Campbell by the incompetent ref and now Washington coach by the skin of his teeth

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 2, 2024 12:55 AM

That would’ve been the worst loss in the history of CFB.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 2, 2024 8:29 AM

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 2, 2024 12:34 PM
posted by Laley23

That would’ve been the worst loss in the history of CFB.

I think I'd have to agree. The way it went down was crazy.

1. Running plays instead of taking knees. Under normal circumstances, Texas would have about 10 seconds to go the length of the field (think play clock would have taken it to 15-17 seconds, plus the time the punt would take).

2. Injury to running back causes clock to stop. Texas now has 50 or so seconds.

3. Quickly hits huge pass play to get into Washington territory. Then gets another to be in the red zone, with them still having enough time to have multiple shots at the end zone.

4. And the game ends with what looked to be questionable coverage (guy out wide for Texas has no one on him at the line and the backfield defense seemed late getting over to him on the pass). If Ewers had thrown a better ball that didn't give the defender time to close the distance, Texas would have won.

Just a bizarre ending where virtually everything that could go wrong for Washington did. That would have been the sort of loss that would have defined their program for eternity.

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Wed, Jan 3, 2024 3:55 PM
posted by Ironman92

Analytics and clock give coaches more fits than elite players and teams 

I don't understand why the coach does not have someone one staff who understands TOs to stand right next to him at the end of the half

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sat, Jan 6, 2024 2:15 PM

The last year of anything resembling historical college football (although the resemblance is faint) is coming to an end. Next year marks the beginning of minor league football. Since no one cares about minor league sports and the NFL does NFL-style football way better than anyone else does, I think we’re at an official threshold -  even though movement this way has been happening gradually.

I’m glad I got to experience CFB in the late 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s.  It changed a lot during those years, but kept enough of its traditions to remain familiar.  I think that will now be gone.

Oh, and Michigan still sucks.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jan 6, 2024 3:50 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

The last year of anything resembling historical college football (although the resemblance is faint) is coming to an end. Next year marks the beginning of minor league football. Since no one cares about minor league sports and the NFL does NFL-style football way better than anyone else does, I think we’re at an official threshold -  even though movement this way has been happening gradually.

I’m glad I got to experience CFB in the late 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s.  It changed a lot during those years, but kept enough of its traditions to remain familiar.  I think that will now be gone.

Oh, and Michigan still sucks.

Hard disagree. I think die hards and most casual fans are going to like the big match ups every week and the new playoff. Yes, some rivals are going away, but that's always been the case. But, hey at least we are getting Texas and Texas A&M next year.

Look at the weekly SEC and Big Ten schedules each week next year. It is going to be great. 

College football is the 2nd most popular sport in terms of ratings. I think it only grows in the coming years. 

And yes, Michigan still sucks. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sat, Jan 6, 2024 5:26 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Hard disagree. I think die hards and most casual fans are going to like the big match ups every week and the new playoff. Yes, some rivals are going away, but that's always been the case. But, hey at least we are getting Texas and Texas A&M next year.

Look at the weekly SEC and Big Ten schedules each week next year. It is going to be great. 

College football is the 2nd most popular sport in terms of ratings. I think it only grows in the coming years. 

CFB was always very easy to differentiate from the NFL.  That is becoming harder to do.  It may be the second most popular sport, but yhat doesn’t mean their not gradually leaving its uniqueness behind.  It’ll stay popular for sports gamblers and diehards.  But something has been lost.  

Horse racing and boxing were once the most popular sports.  NASCAR was once the “fastest growing sport in the country”.  Each lost site of what made it unique.  Now each is in the trash heap.

Mon, Jan 8, 2024 7:54 PM

Kind of annoyed I can't watch the title game since it's on ESPN. Looks like a good start for Michigan.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 8, 2024 8:56 PM

Michigan shouldn’t pass it more then 5 more times this game. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Jan 8, 2024 9:11 PM
posted by justincredible

Kind of annoyed I can't watch the title game since it's on ESPN. Looks like a good start for Michigan.

You don’t have ESPN?

Mon, Jan 8, 2024 9:23 PM
posted by Ironman92

You don’t have ESPN?

Outside of a few months with YouTube TV a few years ago we haven't had cable for like 12 years.

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Jan 8, 2024 9:54 PM
posted by justincredible

Outside of a few months with YouTube TV a few years ago we haven't had cable for like 12 years.

I’m a 100 miles away…you are always welcome. Bring a pizza or good wings

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 8, 2024 10:50 PM
posted by Ironman92

I’m a 100 miles away…you are always welcome. Bring a pizza or good wings

Can I come too 

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 8, 2024 10:58 PM

Michigan defense too good 

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Jan 8, 2024 11:08 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Can I come too 

Sure

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 8, 2024 11:31 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

I think that we have to see how this all plays out. OSU picks up Oregon for a conference game, but they don't play any power 5 (or whatever we call it now) non-conference. The overall schedule for OSU isn't that different, with a lot of bad matchups. The regular season won't be as dramatic (especially in November). A loss will just move a team down a few seeds instead of knocking them out of a national championship. They need to figure out rules for NIL and the transfer portal to keep that from destroying some programs.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login