NCAA Football 2023

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Sep 3, 2023 10:33 PM

PAC 12 off to good start. Big 10 meh after week 1.

LSU/FSU game right now is solid. Losses for LSU don’t count so a big game for FSU and the ACC.

I went to the Pitt/Wofford game. Pitt’s transfer QB looked ok but didn’t look like a difference maker to me. Pitt looks like a borderline top 25 team.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Sep 3, 2023 10:48 PM

FSU flexing their muscles

#8 FSU 38

#5 LSU 17

7:00 remaining 

FSU has outscored them 31-3 the last 2 quarters

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Sep 3, 2023 11:03 PM

45-17

Holy Hell what a 2nd half ass beating

I suspect this game will be ignored in about 6 weeks and for the remainder of the season

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Sep 3, 2023 11:30 PM

Colorado plays Oregon in three weeks and USC in four weeks. Should be a lot of fun to watch. The over/under should be about 100.

Georgia’s schedule is a joke. I know a lot goes into logistically making a schedule and it takes years of planning, but what a lack of challenge. Tennessee-Martin, Ball State, and UAB makes up their OOC games. 

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Sep 4, 2023 7:32 AM
posted by Ironman92

FSU flexing their muscles

#8 FSU 38

#5 LSU 17

7:00 remaining 

FSU has outscored them 31-3 the last 2 quarters

Having a rooting preference for this game is like choosing between Hitler and the Ayatollah, a total lesser of 2 evils.

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Sep 4, 2023 11:31 PM

Duke just WAXED Clemson 28-7

Clemson is NOT a top 10 team and right now aren’t top 20. Will Shipley is a stud but man 2 blocked field goals and 2 fumbles lost inside the 10.

Duke? I’ll pin them about a #20 team. Riley Leonard isn’t a great passer but he was impressive leading Duke. Great runner and great composure all night. Duke defense? Yeah they have one and they hit.

Tue, Sep 5, 2023 7:31 AM

You were right about Clemson/Duke on the betting thread Ironman. Clemson had some extreme bad luck but Duke’s defense played a role in that for sure. They’ll be interesting to watch going forward. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Sep 5, 2023 12:26 PM
posted by Ironman92

Duke just WAXED Clemson 28-7

Clemson is NOT a top 10 team and right now aren’t top 20. Will Shipley is a stud but man 2 blocked field goals and 2 fumbles lost inside the 10.

Duke? I’ll pin them about a #20 team. Riley Leonard isn’t a great passer but he was impressive leading Duke. Great runner and great composure all night. Duke defense? Yeah they have one and they hit.

"But, but...weeh jest lil' ol' Clemson." - Dabo

Fri, Sep 8, 2023 12:55 PM

My prediction is that the Deion / Colorado experiment will eventually fail.  Deion is pulling off what Bishop Sycamore was hoping for.  But this "system" is a house of cards.  I think his personality and ego will ruin it in the end, and the relationship between him in the school will end very badly.

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Sep 8, 2023 1:21 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

My prediction is that the Deion / Colorado experiment will eventually fail.  Deion is pulling off what Bishop Sycamore was hoping for.  But this "system" is a house of cards.  I think his personality and ego will ruin it in the end, and the relationship between him in the school will end very badly.

A lot will come down to his ability to have a good coaching staff around and his ability to recruit. I wouldn't count him out in either of those over time. He has a lot of connections.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Sep 8, 2023 1:34 PM

Deion is pulling off what Bishop Sycamore was hoping for.

Wut?

I mean, I guess...if you completely ignore details like how he seems to be really good at recruiting talent and is savvy about the current CFB landscape and, well, virtually everything that's the exact opposite of Bishop Sycamore, sure. Like Bundy said, as long as he surrounds himself with good coaching talent, he has what it takes to be successful as long as those name recruits are making it at the next level. Something tells me his more "rock star" coach vibe will have a good amount of influence on young guys when compared to how so many name coaches are 50-70 year old dudes who live on coach-speak and act like they have an extra large stick up their ass. 

Fri, Sep 8, 2023 4:40 PM
posted by Heretic

Wut?

I mean, I guess...if you completely ignore details like how he seems to be really good at recruiting talent and is savvy about the current CFB landscape and, well, virtually everything that's the exact opposite of Bishop Sycamore, sure. Like Bundy said, as long as he surrounds himself with good coaching talent, he has what it takes to be successful as long as those name recruits are making it at the next level. Something tells me his more "rock star" coach vibe will have a good amount of influence on young guys when compared to how so many name coaches are 50-70 year old dudes who live on coach-speak and act like they have an extra large stick up their ass. 

He's like what Bishop Sycamore in the sense he's putting and instant team together.  I don't think that will work long term.  I may be wrong, but I think he'll be a flash in the pan as a coach.  Not as a player (he was awesome), but as a coach.

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Sep 8, 2023 5:20 PM
posted by Heretic

Wut?

Deion is 56 years old

But is cool AF and your point is solid

I’ll say Deion doesn’t get credit in many places because he’s not the lifer that played D1 ball, maybe a year or two of practice squad for an NFC South team then 29 years of coaching, most as an assistant with a meh head coaching run.

Like mentioned multiple times….if he knows his shit and players are buying in and a few quality assistants to fill in where Deion isn’t an expert, it’ll be a good thing for a good while.

I can easily see things ending badly as he’ll leave at some point to bigger and better or just other things, but I have a damn hard time counting out Deion Sanders.

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Sep 8, 2023 11:03 PM

Not a great week if games

Texas/Bama best big name matchup

Notre Dame/NC St maybe

Ol Miss/Tulane

Cupcake week for many….one cupcake will win

I’m heading to UC @ Pitt tomorrow, not top 25 but should be a solid matchup

So many of my FB friends have OSU/YSU tickets but trying to unload them 

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Sep 8, 2023 11:05 PM

Miami/Texas A&M 

Wisconsin/Washington St

Could be good games 

Sat, Sep 9, 2023 5:36 AM

Nebraska at Colorado (-2.5) 

Seems like Colorado for the time being will be a good watch. I don’t have an opinion on whether Deion will succeed or not, but god damn the guy fucking talks a lot. Im not sure what the appeal was with his postgame presser last week. I know that’s always been his style. But the “no one believes in us” attitude and clapping back at them after a little success is lame, whether it’s him or whoever else. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Sep 9, 2023 10:21 AM

The “rib” story about ND’s QB Sam Hartman is different lol

Heretic Son of the Sun
Sat, Sep 9, 2023 11:42 AM

He's like what Bishop Sycamore in the sense he's putting and instant team together.  I don't think that will work long term.  I may be wrong, but I think he'll be a flash in the pan as a coach.  Not as a player (he was awesome), but as a coach.

I don't know that it's some sort of long-term thing. To me, he went to Colorado -- a team that's been shitty for quite some time -- decided the players there weren't going to cut it and replaced them with his transfers and recruits. My guess is that while they're going to be a very active transfer portal team over the years, that will be the only wholesale roster makeover and that was simply because he looked at a lot of those players as eating up space that someone more talented and who fit better into his system could take.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Sep 9, 2023 12:19 PM

I don't know how the Deion era will go, but I've seen no evidence that it can't succeed.

That said, it's funny how many "experts" are declaring it a success after 60 minutes of football. Colorado is a mortal lock to lose 4 or 5 games.

Sat, Sep 9, 2023 12:56 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

I don't know how the Deion era will go, but I've seen no evidence that it can't succeed.

That said, it's funny how many "experts" are declaring it a success after 60 minutes of football. Colorado is a mortal lock to lose 4 or 5 games.

They sure look awful so far today.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Sat, Sep 9, 2023 1:18 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

I'd agree. The fact they were only favored by something like 2.5 at home against Nebraska shows the real experts (Vegas) aren't sold on them...and their performance so far is backing that up.

I'd say a good goal for them this year would be 2022 Kansas. The usually-horrible team that gets off to a good start, makes headlines and then falls back to earth to some degree during conference play, but still is good enough to make a bowl.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login