2017 NFL chatter, continued...

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 7:57 AM
posted by Laley23

Down less than everything else on TV, aside from Cable News Networks. It isn't protests. 

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/07/27/survey-national-anthem-protests-top-reason-for-nfl-ratings-drop/

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 8:26 AM

I had a good post on the old site (pat myself on the back) listing the many reasons why the NFL ratings have gone down. It’s not solely because of the protests, but you have to be pretty naive to think the protests don’t play a decent part. 

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 8:30 AM

Read the patriots article. Pretty “meh” 

brady was mad he didn’t win “patriot of the week”? Give me a break, espn. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 8:50 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

What pisses me off about this whole thing is that it sounds like the Browns didn't even have a shot at Garoppolo. Sounds like Belichick wanted to give him an extension to be the "backup in waiting" to the tune of $15-18M/yr, Kraft told him "no, trade him" so the Hoodie walked down the hall, dialed up a friend (Shanahan) and traded him for a 2nd rounder. Sounded like a kneejerk/butthurt move by Belichick where he could've gotten a lot more had he tried to work the market. Maybe Sashi wasn't necessarily to blame for that?

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 10:26 AM

I think it's out there that BB wasn't trading him to the AFC no matter what. So Browns were (technically) out. That said, top 10 pick (Hiustons at time) probably changes that...

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 10:32 AM
posted by superman

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/07/27/survey-national-anthem-protests-top-reason-for-nfl-ratings-drop/

What is this proving? 9000 people surveyed, and 275 (rough math) cited protests as a reason for not watching "as much" lol.

Whats the reason for EVERYTHING being down? Protests cause BBT, This Is Us, etc to be down 20%? Way more than the NFL. SNF had its biggest gap between the next highest rated show in forever. The only thing that makes sense to me, is people are caught up in our political climate and watching Cable News...which have seen ratings continue to skyrocket.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 11:31 AM
posted by Laley23

What is this proving? 9000 people surveyed, and 275 (rough math) cited protests as a reason for not watching "as much" lol.

Whats the reason for EVERYTHING being down? Protests cause BBT, This Is Us, etc to be down 20%? Way more than the NFL. SNF had its biggest gap between the next highest rated show in forever. The only thing that makes sense to me, is people are caught up in our political climate and watching Cable News...which have seen ratings continue to skyrocket.

I know I read somewhere midway through the season that, at that time, NFL ratings were down 5% and prime-time network TV in general was down 8% over that same time. Which made me laugh at QQ's histrionics over the protests.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 12:06 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

This...not buying anything significant this year. Maybe this is the last year, but I doubt it. What I expect? Patriots win the SB and Brady up on stage in postgame getting his MVP trophy and wearing a shirt with he and Belichick on it with arms around each other.....it might even say “ha ha dumbasses”

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 12:35 PM
posted by like_that

I had a good post on the old site (pat myself on the back) listing the many reasons why the NFL ratings have gone down. It’s not solely because of the protests, but you have to be pretty naive to think the protests don’t play a decent part. 

To add on to this, I still think injuries played the largest role. Many teams became unwatchable because of injuries. Colts, Texans, Cardinals, Packers, Giants off the top of my head. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 1:24 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

To add on to this, I still think injuries played the largest role. Many teams became unwatchable because of injuries. Colts, Texans, Cardinals, Packers, Giants off the top of my head. 

And just the simple oversaturation of the product tends to lead to some degree of a decline. Five national TV games most weeks spread out over three days is probably a bit excessive, especially considering that the majority of the Thursday night games either sucked or were unappealing match-ups for the average, non-football-addict person and if you aren't a Dallas fan, the average Sunday 4 p.m. game probably sucked for you, too, since they seemed to be the national game there if they weren't primetime most weeks.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 2:06 PM
posted by Ironman92

This...not buying anything significant this year. Maybe this is the last year, but I doubt it. What I expect? Patriots win the SB and Brady up on stage in postgame getting his MVP trophy and wearing a shirt with he and Belichick on it with arms around each other.....it might even say “ha ha dumbasses”

Yeah, this is one of those stories designed to generate false optimism for guys like us, when the reality is that Brady and Beli are robots who will swallow everything for however long it takes to win it all. If NE loses in the playoffs, it'll be because Brady finally shows his age and has a shitty game out of nowhere along the lines of Ben's 5-pick day vs. Jacksonville or Gronk gets hurt again (or the latter leading to the former); not because B & B secretly (or not so secretly now, I guess) hate each others' guts.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 2:20 PM
posted by Heretic

If NE loses in the playoffs, it'll be because Brady finally shows his age and has a shitty game out of nowhere along the lines of Ben's 5-pick day vs. Jacksonville 

This may have already started. Since Week 13, he's had 6 TD's & 6 INT's. During this same time frame, he's been outplayed by the likes of Blake Bortles and has the same amount of TD pases as (gulp) Deshone Kizer. I know the Pats have a decent running game but those are not Brady-like numbers from where he started the year. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 2:34 PM
posted by BR1986FB

This may have already started. Since Week 13, he's had 6 TD's & 6 INT's. During this same time frame, he's been outplayed by the likes of Blake Bortles and has the same amount of TD pases as (gulp) Deshone Kizer. I know the Pats have a decent running game but those are not Brady-like numbers from where he started the year. 

With Gronk he’s still great...without him they are far more game to defeat

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 2:36 PM
posted by Ironman92

I'd agree, but against the Jets bottom-dwelling defense in week 17 Gronk was completely shut out.

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 2:50 PM
posted by justincredible

I'd agree, but against the Jets bottom-dwelling defense in week 17 Gronk was completely shut out.

Maybe they gave too much to shut down Gronk and Brady, a decent QB just took what they gave him?

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 2:54 PM
posted by Laley23

I think it's out there that BB wasn't trading him to the AFC no matter what. So Browns were (technically) out. That said, top 10 pick (Hiustons at time) probably changes that...

Plus the fact that Bellichek probably wants to see Garroppolo do well, so why put him into the shitpot that is the Browns.  He'll get hurt and his career will tank there.  

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 2:56 PM
posted by Ironman92

Not sure if it's in that article but I'd heard the concern with Brady (starting to show his age) is that he's been dealing with ongoing/nagging achilles & knee issues. He's overcompensating by releasing the ball even quicker than normal to keep himself upright/prolong his career and leaving a lot of plays on the field. Granted, he's the GOAT but it looks like he could've already started the decline.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 3:02 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

That article is a joke.  The Patriots aren't falling apart at the seams.  These guys have been the class of the NFL for almost 20 years.  They didn't get there by being petty ass wimps who can't tolerate a mean glance from one another.  Their downfall has been predicted regularly during their reign.  Every time this happens, they seem to win a SB.  So if I'm Brady, Belichek or Kraft, I'm probably calling ESPN today and thanking them for their efforts.  

My opinion is that this is ESPN trying to show "hard hitting" reporting.  If they want to do an explosive piece, they ought to do an expose on how reserved parking places at their HQ are redistributed after each round of layoffs.

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 3:09 PM

Brady at 40 is definitely on the decline. He’s barely going to win the MVP still 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 3:15 PM
posted by Ironman92

Brady at 40 is definitely on the decline. He’s barely going to win the MVP still 

I think he's got a good shot but his play from early in the season until now is definitely different. Week 1-12, 26 TD's, 2 INT's....Week 13-17, 6 TD's, 6 INT's

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login