2017 NFL chatter, continued...

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 5:01 PM
posted by Heretic

I know I read somewhere midway through the season that, at that time, NFL ratings were down 5% and prime-time network TV in general was down 8% over that same time. Which made me laugh at QQ's histrionics over the protests.

Nfl down 9.7%

http://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/nfl-ratings-dropped-nearly-10-percent-overall-2017.html

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 5:26 PM
posted by superman

Nfl down 9.7%

http://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/nfl-ratings-dropped-nearly-10-percent-overall-2017.html

Ah, so when the season was done, it was determined their ratings are dropping slightly more than TV in general, assuming the regular TV numbers I remembered reading weren't short of reality as well, considering the article you linked said the NFL had 37 of the top 50 ranked shows and SNF actually was more dominant in its slot than previously. I'm not denying protests are a factor, but that's just it. They're A factor, one of many. By itself, the protest losses are negliable; in conjunction with NFL burnout due to so many games and so many of those games being crappy because of how many key players got hurt, it becomes an issue.

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 6:15 PM
posted by Heretic

Ah, so when the season was done, it was determined their ratings are dropping slightly more than TV in general, assuming the regular TV numbers I remembered reading weren't short of reality as well, considering the article you linked said the NFL had 37 of the top 50 ranked shows and SNF actually was more dominant in its slot than previously. I'm not denying protests are a factor, but that's just it. They're A factor, one of many. By itself, the protest losses are negliable; in conjunction with NFL burnout due to so many games and so many of those games being crappy because of how many key players got hurt, it becomes an issue.

I think you and I agree on the issue.   I was just initially responding to Laley saying that the ratings aren't down and the protests have not hurt the league. 

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 5, 2018 10:16 PM
posted by superman

I think you and I agree on the issue.   I was just initially responding to Laley saying that the ratings aren't down and the protests have not hurt the league. 

My bad on the initial judgement of your post. I shouldn't say protests have nothing to do with it. Any negative press is going be a factor. I just wanted to get across that if you take away all other factors, leaving just protests, we probably don't even notice any dip in ratings.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Jan 8, 2018 3:21 PM

A little late to the party on this, but two years in a row now that Hines Ward isn't a HOF finalist.  I wish rock still posted, because he and a few other posters said Ward is a first ballot HOFer.  Hines at best is in the hall of good.  He is definitely not worthy of a HOF bust. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
Mon, Jan 8, 2018 3:37 PM
posted by like_that

A little late to the party on this, but two years in a row now that Hines Ward isn't a HOF finalist.  I wish rock still posted, because he and a few other posters said Ward is a first ballot HOFer.  Hines at best is in the hall of good.  He is definitely not worthy of a HOF bust. 

"FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING FUCK I'M NOT MAD JUST LAUGHING AT YOUR STUPID ASS BEING FUCKING DUMB!!!!!!!"

Is that a good enough impersonation for you?

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 8, 2018 9:55 PM
posted by like_that

I may have been one. Honestly don’t remember. Definitely wasn’t gut

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 9, 2018 7:24 AM

Rock told me to shove the website up my ass. I miss him, too.

Tue, Jan 9, 2018 7:46 AM
posted by Heretic

"FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING FUCK I'M NOT MAD JUST LAUGHING AT YOUR STUPID ASS BEING FUCKING DUMB!!!!!!!"

Is that a good enough impersonation for you?

Not bad, but not the best.

Tue, Jan 9, 2018 7:52 AM
posted by Ironman92

I may have been one. Honestly don’t remember. Definitely wasn’t gut

I think you were, but have no proof of it, so I am not going all in.  I know for a fact rock did though. 

I said at the time, you have to look at all the WRs that played during his time.  There are many WRs in that group that I would pick well before Ward.  The fact that TO is now waiting on his THIRD year of eligibility says it all imo.  He should have been a first ballot  HOFER.

Side rant: This is what drives me crazy about all hall of fames.  Let's say TO gets inducted this year.  What did he do the previous 3 years, that all of a sudden made him a hall of famer?  Nothing.  You're either a hall of famer or you're not.  I hate how they make these guys wait.  Everyone should get in on their first year of elgibility or not.  Some years you can have a class of 10, some maybe 2.  

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 9, 2018 8:02 AM
posted by like_that

I think you were, but have no proof of it, so I am not going all in.  I know for a fact rock did though. 

I said at the time, you have to look at all the WRs that played during his time.  There are many WRs in that group that I would pick well before Ward.  The fact that TO is now waiting on his THIRD year of eligibility says it all imo.  He should have been a first ballot  HOFER.

Side rant: This is what drives me crazy about all hall of fames.  Let's say TO gets inducted this year.  What did he do the previous 3 years, that all of a sudden made him a hall of famer?  Nothing.  You're either a hall of famer or you're not.  I hate how they make these guys wait.  Everyone should get in on their first year of elgibility or not.  Some years you can have a class of 10, some maybe 2.  

Yep, same.

thavoice Senior Member
15,437 posts 42 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 9, 2018 11:23 AM
posted by like_that

I tend to agree.....for the most part.   When you watch him week in and week out he did  it seem hof caliber.

But 1000 catches is tough to overlook especially on a team usually that was more run orientated and he also was one of the best blocking WRs.

The league has changed with more passing including the short easy passes.  If if if in 10 years there are still very few players getting to 1000 then I think he may get in late.

As far as ratings....a lot goes into it.  Protests def have some to do with it plus at some point their bubble was going to burst. 

Many said they did protest and didn't watch but I imagine most of them were those who Werent watching anyways.  My MIL this weekend said she was,protesting the nfl and who turned it on their tv....it was me....and then stated she never really watched it anyways.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Wed, Jan 10, 2018 9:41 AM
posted by Heretic

There are a lot of different factors playing into this. It's far from being just the protests. That might be the case in smaller/rural markets but the NFL ratings, from my understanding, have been on the decline for the last 4 years.

Besides the things you've mentioned, and my comment about the Red Zone Channel, is that a lot of the younger crowd are "cutting the cord" so to speak and ditching cable. They are getting their highlights from other sources where they don't have to lock into games for 3 hours.

If the protests were huge issues, I'd think the NBA would be down significantly (it's up 20%) due to players & the league essentially blackballing the POTUS. Granted, one group is protesting a person, while the other is coming across like they are protesting a country (unpatriotic) but the basketball league seems to have been uneffected.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Jan 12, 2018 3:40 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Read the patriots article. Pretty “meh” 

brady was mad he didn’t win “patriot of the week”? Give me a break, espn. 

If you want more humor, go to The Ringer, since Bill Simmons wrote a long, angry, nerd-rage column in rebuttal of it, which is essentially a long-form version of "I don't like this, so it's not true!!!!"

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login