Covid-19 discussion, continued...

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 1:35 PM
posted by justincredible

I had to wear masks on an airplane recently and it sucked. I did, however, not wear one the entire time in the airport and no one said a thing other than the guy checking my ID and boarding pass before security. He just asked if I had one and offered me one if I didn't.

I have flown multiple times this year for work. You are required to wear one at all times while on the plane, they are STRICT about even while eating/drinking (take a sip, mask up, take another sip, mask up, etc).

However, the airports themselves are rather lax on keeping the masks on. I walked all around CAK and CLT with it off only putting it on when I was in line to get on the plane.

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 1:38 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

People that either cannot get off work, cannot find a location, or have access to them. 

We had people on the job site that said numerous times they could not make it to a place to get the first or the second shot during the hours offered for some clinics and facilities. 

I do think if you look at the unvaccinated rates in rural and urban areas, there is a lack of access. 

At least that is my looking at the data and stories the past few weeks. 

I also think not having a single shot one and done anymore has severely hurt the rates.  

Please, you can walk into any Walmart in America and be out in 20 minutes with the shot. Its not about access anymore, 95% of the people who aren't vaccinated at this point in the USA have chosen not to be.

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 1:41 PM

Yes, and that is them being dumb as shit. 

Vaccination hesitation is such a new thing and makes zero sense. 

No one complained about the polio, smallpox, or any other vaccination until very recently. 

First, compairing polio, smallpox, etc to this vaccine may indicate you don't understand the difference between every other vaccine we have ever created vs the COVID vaccine?

Manipulating your mRNA to do something it doesn't "naturally" do is WAY different than injecting a dead virus so your natural immune system can create antibodies.

I am not even saying those against the vaccine are scientifically correct, I am just saying that comparing this to smallpox, polio, etc is either intellectually dishonest or intellectually lazy, you choose. 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 1:50 PM

Call them dumb or whatever for not getting vaccinated but not buying any part of the lack of availability or access.

Ironman92 Administrator
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 1:51 PM
posted by jmog

Please, you can walk into any Walmart in America and be out in 20 minutes with the shot. Its not about access anymore, 95% of the people who aren't vaccinated at this point in the USA have chosen not to be.

I’d guess 95% is low
justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 1:52 PM

I don't have access to the vaccine or a photocopier send help

brutus161 The Navy Guy
1,688 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 1:53 PM

Yes and we had over 600 die yesterday and have a higher vaccination rate. 

They would look at us and think we are insane for not doing more. 

That said, for here, I'm not in favor of any additional mask mandates. I agree with a lot of you on here that it is on the unvaccinated now to get their shit together. 

Who is this "we"?

There were 230 deaths reported in the US yesterday. 

Tue, Jul 20, 2021 1:56 PM

I've found the best strategy is to call people dumb as shit until they do what I want them to.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 5:00 PM
posted by Ironman92

Call them dumb or whatever for not getting vaccinated but not buying any part of the lack of availability or access.

Yeah add me as another one who calls bullshit . Anybody that wants the vaccine by now can make it happen.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 5:01 PM

I have a buddy that lives there, from the UK. He leans on the conservative side and is fine with it for several reasons. 1. The vaccination rates are still pretty low there. I think it is less than 20% of the population is fully vaccination. 2. Their level of risk tolerance there is low. He says, they look at us and think we are insane for the amount of deaths we have had and that we are failing given the number of vaccines available and our rates. 

He agrees it sucks, but then he says, looking at the alternative, like here, and the deaths, he is fine with it.  

Like nearly all things...it is a matter of perspective. 

He sounds just as conservative as you are a moderate.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 5:29 PM
posted by like_that

Yeah, one 80-yr old dead is not perspective, it's perception (in this case, heavily influenced by group-think).

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 5:38 PM
posted by like_that

I was thinking the same thing and was about to post it.

I am sure he’s conservative compared to Bernie Sanders.

Tue, Jul 20, 2021 5:58 PM

Boris Johnson is a "conservative" isn't he? Excuse me while I lol at "UK conservative" as some sort of meaningful label.

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 6:30 PM
posted by justincredible

A simple “no thanks” and waking out is the only worthy response if you’d rather not. It sends the message without being a prick. 

I'd pull out my wad of 100 dollar bills and fan myself with them, first.
ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 6:34 PM
posted by justincredible

I had to wear masks on an airplane recently and it sucked. 

It's their right to require it.  You could have always refused the service and jumped off!

(for CC: *should of)

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 7:41 PM

The only reason someone doesn't have a vaccine now is that they don't want it. Lack of access is BS.  I would bet if you can't get out to get it, there are multiple services that will come and give it to you. 

If someone doesn't want it, that's their business. But I am sick of the Faucis of the world influencing restriction on all of us in order to protect people that clearly don't want the protection. I wish we could quit talking about Covid. 

Trump didn't help the pandemic and he didn't develop a vaccine. Biden hasn't helped the pandemic, had nothing to do with getting the vaccine out and hasn't a clue what to do going forward. Covid doesn't give a fuck about US politics and will run whatever course it's going to run. Let's move on with our lives. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 8:38 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

The only reason someone doesn't have a vaccine now is that they don't want it. Lack of access is BS.  I would bet if you can't get out to get it, there are multiple services that will come and give it to you. 

There are places around where I live where you can pull up to a drive thru and get it. Don't have to get out of your vehicle. If you want it, it's there.
Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 9:11 PM

Fauci should be in jail for lying to Congress.

Ironman92 Administrator
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 10:30 PM

My local school board voted 3-2 to have students and staff wear masks or shields in the building to start the year.

I imagine this will be GREATLY fought

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Wed, Jul 21, 2021 6:39 AM
posted by Ironman92

My local school board voted 3-2 to have students and staff wear masks or shields in the building to start the year.

I imagine this will be GREATLY fought

I'd imagine until theres a vaccine avaialble to kids under 12, schools are gonna require masks. Once its available to them and theyve had ample time to get it, I'd imagine you'll see the rules relaxed. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login