friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 2, 2020 10:12 PM

SHIT IT GOT THE ROCK

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Sep 3, 2020 12:49 PM
posted by Heretic

Agree on this, from the "CC's an idiot making apples-to-oranges comparisons because that's all his tiny, malformed brain can think to write" to the rest of it, as well.

To me, the main problem is that it really doesn't seem like people are all that good at walking the it-really-shouldn't-be-a-fine line between being completely over-the-top one way or the other about this...or most things that can be tied into politics and whatnot.

On one hand, you have the "BUT MUH RITES!!!!!" crowd acting like wearing a mask in public settings is the single most oppressive thing anyone has ever made anyone do throughout the history of humanity, idiots like CC comparing a contagious disease to obesity and tools like Quaker trumpeting SIX PERCENT without bothering to do anything resembling conscious thought on things like how one disease might effect another health condition.

On the other hand, you have people who constantly are looking to move the goalposts on how things need to be shut down and no one should do anything fun that involves being around any number of people until no one is catching anything at all from anyone. To the degree that all I'm catching is a total lack of self-awareness as to how stupid they sound when acting like some new incident totally validates their feelings.

For example, today, I saw that the Sturgis bike rally was a top Twitter headline and clicked on it because I know a few people who went there. It was trending because one person who was there died of the 'Rona. The article added that a few hundred people who'd been there (260 in 11 states) wound up getting diagnosed/sick from it. Which would make a "big gatherings = bad" point if not for the teeny-tiny bit of information concerning how hundreds of thousands of people converge on this small town and the general vibe seems to be that masks and anything resembling caution are for pussies. That many people in one location with only a few hundred cases of a disease recorded and one death? That, uh, doesn't sound like some big cause for concern. But if you search Sturgis Motorcycle Rally on Twitter and scroll down the feed, you'll get "super-spreader events", "covidiots" and all the other fun buzz words to the degree that you get the idea that all these people learned fractions and proportions from CC.

No, my comparison was about the fact that we have free will to just let our societal health be total shit.  Eat what you want, smoke, take drugs etc......and do nothing about it (or very little).  Social acceptability and factors to enable someone to be so obese they cant walk but we will give you a scooter to drive around the store to by your fat food is all ok.  But to regulate, control and mitigate free will when it comes to this on  large parts of our society that arent at that big of a risk is BS.

Sure its contagious.  Let the healthy people go about their day, educate and not regulate to keep special parts of the population healthy.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Sep 4, 2020 3:01 PM

Big news from Pfizer, according to CNBC, as CEO Albert Bourla says that the company could have results from its phase three trial as soon as October. Here’s a quick recap of the company’s efforts:

• The company has already been enrolling thousands of participants in its late-stage trial, and the results will determine whether Pfizer submits the drug for regulatory approval by the FDA. Ultimately, the company hopes to include about 30,000 people around the world in the trials.
  • The Trump administration has agreed to pay Pfizer and its partner, BioNTech, nearly $2 billion to develop and deliver 100 million doses of their vaccine if it is successful.

Even if the drug is found to be safe and effective, we’ll need to clear some major hurdles like access and distribution. But for now, this good news should start your Friday off right.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Sep 4, 2020 3:10 PM

There's already supposed to be a plan for distribution.  Thought I saw something about using the national guard or military to administer the roll out.

It would be inexcusable if they didn't have a well thought out plan to distribute a vaccine when they've had 6 months to prepare for it.  Obviously, however, that's a real possibility.

gut Senior Member
Fri, Sep 4, 2020 3:16 PM
posted by like_that

Some good news https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-steroids-idUSKBN25T20D?taid=5f4fd7ce46b85b0001f9bc46&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Is that quote blacked out for anyone else?

I think I mentioned a few weeks ago - Remdesivir reduces mortality like 50%, steroids are like 20%....and obviously you can use both.  Convalescent plasma is now being questioned, I assume because Trump endorsed it and pushed for EUA.

So if you started out with something a little over 0.5% mortality, we're now getting closer to flu levels even before a vaccine.  Also, all these college kids getting diagnosed and very few are ending up in the hospital.

Spock Senior Member
Fri, Sep 4, 2020 8:45 PM
posted by gut

Is that quote blacked out for anyone else?

I think I mentioned a few weeks ago - Remdesivir reduces mortality like 50%, steroids are like 20%....and obviously you can use both.  Convalescent plasma is now being questioned, I assume because Trump endorsed it and pushed for EUA.

So if you started out with something a little over 0.5% mortality, we're now getting closer to flu levels even before a vaccine.  Also, all these college kids getting diagnosed and very few are ending up in the hospital.

Yep...being held hostage because fat diabetics and old people might die.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Tue, Sep 15, 2020 11:34 AM
posted by like_that

Some potentially good news.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/09/14/pitt-scientists-discover-biomolecule-that-may-neutralize-coronavirus/

Sounds promising 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Sep 15, 2020 1:29 PM
posted by like_that

Some potentially good news.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/09/14/pitt-scientists-discover-biomolecule-that-may-neutralize-coronavirus/

INB4 Quaker accuses this of being a liberal/left/Democrat scam to create a November 4 "cure". 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 16, 2020 3:53 PM

office sign should first test covid vaccine government officials safe its good if die country is safe

Spock Senior Member
Sun, Sep 20, 2020 4:45 PM

How about a big Fuvk you to Bill Gates.  Why dont you take your money and do something about it instead of bitching.  In the meantime he is funding a German company on a virus vaccine.  Really....German????  What a POS

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/20/media/bill-gates-outrageous-coronavirus/index.html

gut Senior Member
Sun, Sep 20, 2020 4:49 PM
posted by Spock

...Bill Gates...he is funding a German company on a virus vaccine.  Really....German????

What a terrible fucking human being.  I hope he rots in hell - 'Murica first fuck saving the planet!!!
Spock Senior Member
Sun, Sep 20, 2020 6:57 PM
posted by gut
What a terrible fucking human being.  I hope he rots in hell - 'Murica first fuck saving the planet!!!

He doesnt get it both ways....you cant bitch about how well things arent going then not spend a billion of your 500 billion to help....and yes he should be funding American innovation.  The reason why he isnt is because he knows the US red tape is going to slow this down and Germany probably doesnt regulate as much.

Its the same as us spending a dollar if we have $500

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Sep 20, 2020 7:26 PM
posted by Spock

He doesnt get it both ways....you cant bitch about how well things arent going then not spend a billion of your 500 billion to help....and yes he should be funding American innovation.  The reason why he isnt is because he knows the US red tape is going to slow this down and Germany probably doesnt regulate as much.

LoL if you think Germany does not regulate as much as the US. 

Sun, Sep 20, 2020 9:34 PM
posted by Spock

Telling people how they should be giving their money away sounds pretty left wing to me. You pulling a Sleeper?

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Mon, Sep 21, 2020 9:04 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

LoL if you think Germany does not regulate as much as the US. 

He's the guy who's never been out of his home town, much less continent. They typically believe only America is capable of anything. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Sep 21, 2020 11:30 AM
posted by Spock

Ah, the old "I'm poor and stupid, so this is my idea of a good point!" argument. Never gets old!

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Thu, Sep 24, 2020 11:41 AM

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/2896909/an-ohio-mom-was-tased-at-her-sons-middle-school-football-game-for-refusing-to-wear-a-masktAlso thier schools are closed  to visitors today because  of threats from the mask related incident

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Sep 24, 2020 11:53 AM
posted by geeblock

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/2896909/an-ohio-mom-was-tased-at-her-sons-middle-school-football-game-for-refusing-to-wear-a-mask

She's sitting with her family, outside, how far away from everyone else? This is nonsense.

I'm glad the Cincinnati PD has publicly stated they will not be enforcing the mask mandate because it's not law. We shouldn't be increasing interactions with law enforcement and regular citizens because this is the dumb shit that happens. Disagree if you want, but Logan County (45k pop, 3 deaths) and Washington County (59k pop, 23 deaths) (where she was and where she's from) have had almost zero issues with covid.

Thu, Sep 24, 2020 11:56 AM
posted by geeblock

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/2896909/an-ohio-mom-was-tased-at-her-sons-middle-school-football-game-for-refusing-to-wear-a-masktAlso thier schools are closed  to visitors today because  of threats from the mask related incident

In wrestling with the woman, the cop's mask was down/off.  Kind of ironic.  

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login