Progressives, part 3...

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jul 15, 2022 6:39 PM
posted by jmog

That horse left the barn when Ds were asking to allow abortions for up to a month after birth…

You act like one side is to blame here...

Come on.

Fri, Jul 15, 2022 6:47 PM
posted by gut

Not sure what you find odd about it.  Polling shows only @12% of voters favor a heartbeat ban.  While some 3/4 of the country favor bans between 15-22 weeks.

Ohio's law is messed up.  That's pretty surprising for a purple state that's not usually into crazy business.

That said, there is slim chance here in Ohio the current law changes unless you vote Democrat.

Fri, Jul 15, 2022 6:48 PM
posted by gut

Not sure what you find odd about it.  Polling shows only @12% of voters favor a heartbeat ban.  While some 3/4 of the country favor bans between 15-22 weeks.

Ohio's law is messed up.  That's pretty surprising for a purple state that's not usually into crazy business.

That said, there is slim chance here in Ohio the current law changes unless you vote Democrat, which will never ever happen on this site. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jul 15, 2022 7:49 PM
posted by like_that

Dems have the majority. They can pass whatever they want as long as they agree to it as a party. Let’s not act like they haven’t changed the rules to the game before (looking at the filibuster). Quit trying to blame it on one party from a vacuumed lenses of one state.

A gun control bill just passed, because you had handful of spineless republicans caving in.  I think if threw out 15 weeks you would have enough republicans voting for it.  The reality is the Dems don’t want to present anything that would seriously be considered, because they are desperate to drum up votes. You know it, but you don’t want to admit it.

Face it moderate ptown, neither party gives a fuck about your concerns.

I can’t imagine the gun bill stands as is either. Outlawing magazines over 15 rounds (the law said in possession of) is a shit ton of guns. The Dems are now also scrambling to pass an assault rifle ban bill that they also know will not pass. It’s all theater. 

Fri, Jul 15, 2022 8:44 PM
posted by like_that

Dems have the majority. They can pass whatever they want as long as they agree to it as a party. Let’s not act like they haven’t changed the rules to the game before (looking at the filibuster). Quit trying to blame it on one party from a vacuumed lenses of one state.

A gun control bill just passed, because you had handful of spineless republicans caving in.  I think if threw out 15 weeks you would have enough republicans voting for it.  The reality is the Dems don’t want to present anything that would seriously be considered, because they are desperate to drum up votes. You know it, but you don’t want to admit it.

Face it moderate ptown, neither party gives a fuck about your concerns.

You act like they have a super majority. They do not. What are you talking about?

Also, it's a state level issue, which is a majority of my posts on this issue. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jul 16, 2022 1:19 AM
posted by kizer permanente

Where have you ever heard that? 

Virginia and California legislators tried to pass such laws.

jmog Senior Member
Sat, Jul 16, 2022 1:22 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

You act like one side is to blame here...

Come on.

Not fully, but they definitely started the “let’s see how radical we can go on this issue” and now they don’t like the other side doing the same.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jul 16, 2022 1:35 AM

That said, there is slim chance here in Ohio the current law changes unless you vote Democrat, which will never ever happen on this site. 

Again, voters overwhelmingly support 15-22 weeks.  It seems a conservative could run with that ONE difference and win.

And, again, I think most people on this site vote Libertarian.  As has been shown more than once.  You keep pretending that's not the case because you falsely believe yourself to be a "moderate".

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jul 16, 2022 1:36 AM
posted by jmog

Seriously WTF?  That would be straight up murder.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sat, Jul 16, 2022 9:18 AM

You act like they have a super majority. They do not. What are you talking about?

Also, it's a state level issue, which is a majority of my posts on this issue. 

No, I don’t act like that and apparently you didn’t read my post. Reread it again, there are a few key points in there how they can pass a law.  Dems have plenty of opportunities before and now to pass a law.  They simply don’t want to, because they know it’s not good business for their party.

As for this being a state issue, yes it is, however nothing is stopping dems from presenting a law federally to protect abortion rights. They just refuse to bring anything forward to have a serious debate (see previous comment about how it’s not good business for their party). They have much more to lose with a bill compromising at 15 weeks than the republicans do and they know it.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sat, Jul 16, 2022 9:21 AM
posted by gut

Again, voters overwhelmingly support 15-22 weeks.  It seems a conservative could run with that ONE difference and win.

And, again, I think most people on this site vote Libertarian.  As has been shown more than once.  You keep pretending that's not the case because you falsely believe yourself to be a "moderate".

Yup, like I said in my previous post, Dems have more to lose by compromising with 15 weeks. Republicans can put on a dog and pony show by fighting for 0-6 weeks, but in the end if they “cave” into 15 weeks they would be laughing behind the scenes. 

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Sat, Jul 16, 2022 6:28 PM
posted by jmog

This is the only thing I can find even remotely close to your claim. Sounds like you’re just going off of circulating Facebook memes?

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-virginia-gov-abortion/fact-check-virginia-governors-2019-comments-about-abortion-bill-are-missing-context-idUSKBN27D2HL

jmog Senior Member
Sat, Jul 16, 2022 11:58 PM

This is the only thing I can find even remotely close to your claim. Sounds like you’re just going off of circulating Facebook memes?

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-virginia-gov-abortion/fact-check-virginia-governors-2019-comments-about-abortion-bill-are-missing-context-idUSKBN27D2HL

In other words I was right, the governor and the sponsor of the bill both said what I said, they just later backtracked when they got flack for admitting what the bill would do.

The bill promptly was shot down after these quotes and hearings were made public.

The California bill was Assembly bill 2223 which would make it against the law for police or coroners to investigate any newborns death for up to a couple weeks after birth. 

It didn’t say that killing the child would be legal, it just said if it happened to die while in the mothers care they wouldn’t/couldn’t ask questions.

Which is de facto legalization of killing infants up to 7-14 days old (the days was murky as it was still in assembly).

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Sun, Jul 17, 2022 11:24 AM
posted by jmog

In other words I was right, the governor and the sponsor of the bill both said what I said, they just later backtracked when they got flack for admitting what the bill would do.

The bill promptly was shot down after these quotes and hearings were made public.

The California bill was Assembly bill 2223 which would make it against the law for police or coroners to investigate any newborns death for up to a couple weeks after birth. 

It didn’t say that killing the child would be legal, it just said if it happened to die while in the mothers care they wouldn’t/couldn’t ask questions.

Which is de facto legalization of killing infants up to 7-14 days old (the days was murky as it was still in assembly).

Yeah… not at all. Glad you fell for Facebook memes though. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 17, 2022 3:52 PM

Congress just had a week of abortion discussions, and none of the Dem witnesses would clarify if they supported abortions through 40 weeks or not. Is there not a limit? I mean they also couldn’t admit if only women give birth either, but still. 

jmog Senior Member
Sun, Jul 17, 2022 4:32 PM

Your own link proved what I said.

Both the governor and the writer of the bill said what I said only later to backtrack what they said when someone let them know how much flack it was getting.

The direct quotes proving me right are right in your link.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 17, 2022 6:07 PM
posted by iclfan2

I mean they also couldn’t admit if only women give birth either, but still. 

2 + 2 = 5

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 18, 2022 9:42 AM
posted by sportchampps

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/17/us/indiana-greenwood-park-mall-shooting/index.html

Good guy with a gun saves an unknown number of lives. Story will disappear by tomorrow.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Jul 18, 2022 4:12 PM

QO must be on vacation.  There are imminent Marxist threats as usual and he's not here to point them out and give us the countdown on when the axe will fall.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login