Progressives, part 3...

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 2:19 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

About to find out.

I know my wife is concerned about her access here in Ohio. 

We know you’re educated. It’s very obvious how not to get pregnant. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 2:21 PM

Well, the leak was 100% right. The decision also contradicts everything about settled law that the conservative justices stated in their confirmation hearings. 

False. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 2:28 PM
posted by iclfan2

We know you’re educated. It’s very obvious how not to get pregnant. 

It is not that simple. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 2:39 PM
posted by majorspark

Is there something wrong with this?

Yes 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 2:49 PM

Well, the leak was 100% right. The decision also contradicts everything about settled law that the conservative justices stated in their confirmation hearings. 

Liberals screamed back in 2016 Roe v. Wade was going away, and they turned out being right. 

Also, Justice Thomas opinion, just being his, but is everything liberals fear, which is a roll back on other protections. 

Now, we have a land where it is have and have not states. It is about to be outlawed after 6 weeks here in Ohio with minimal to no exceptions.

It was like this well before this decision. 

Fri, Jun 24, 2022 2:55 PM
posted by like_that

It was like this well before this decision. 

If by that you you it widens the gap, then yeah. This now leads to states enacting more restrictions and outright bans. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 2:59 PM

If by that you you it widens the gap, then yeah. This now leads to states enacting more restrictions and outright bans. 

Breaking news: It's more beneficial to live in some states v.s. other states. 

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 3:02 PM
posted by geeblock

Yes 

Are you one of those guys upset you can no longer impose your views on this issue on 300+ million people or just Ohio?

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 3:24 PM
posted by majorspark

You need to talk to Boogie about this.

Why?

geeblock Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 3:26 PM
posted by majorspark

Are you one of those guys upset you can no longer impose your views on this issue on 300+ million people or just Ohio?

Sounds like you are trying to impose your views on people. I’m all for individuals deciding for themselves. What the fuck are you talking about?

Fri, Jun 24, 2022 3:49 PM
posted by like_that

Breaking news: It's more beneficial to live in some states v.s. other states. 

Correct. I did have a few friends and colleagues point out this may impact businesses either not moving into red states, or paying for their employees to leave the state if requested. 

I also am curious how the military will handle this with rotations to bases in the states that outlaw or really restrict abortion. 

majorspark Senior Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 3:58 PM
posted by geeblock

Sounds like you are trying to impose your views on people. I’m all for individuals deciding for themselves. What the fuck are you talking about?

I believe its a separate human being so I vote my conscience in my state and leave it at that.  I also believe its not a federal issue unless they make it one.

majorspark Senior Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 4:11 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Why?

You said they are not coming for your guns.  It was said by many no one is overturning Roe.  This country has unfortunately allowed 5 people in black robes with lifetime appointments too much power.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 4:23 PM
posted by majorspark

You said they are not coming for your guns.  It was said by many no one is overturning Roe.  This country has unfortunately allowed 5 people in black robes with lifetime appointments too much power.

I think it’s apples-to-oranges.  The right to bear arms is explicitly spelled out in the constitution whereas abortion was sanctioned through an interpretation.  In my opinion “they” won’t be coming for your guns.  

majorspark Senior Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 4:43 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I think it’s apples-to-oranges.  The right to bear arms is explicitly spelled out in the constitution whereas abortion was sanctioned through an interpretation.  In my opinion “they” won’t be coming for your guns.  

The 9th amendment:

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

But I do agree with you it's a lot harder to come for the guns.  Hence the power and purpose of the second amendment.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 4:43 PM

Correct. I did have a few friends and colleagues point out this may impact businesses either not moving into red states, or paying for their employees to leave the state if requested. 

I also am curious how the military will handle this with rotations to bases in the states that outlaw or really restrict abortion. 

Lol no. Companies are moving to red states already, knowing the politics. Don’t be silly. Sure, pay for your employee to kill their kid, doesn’t impact me. What the military gonna do, move entire bases for a law that impacts an inconsequential amount of people? Some of y’all pretend these sort of issues are waaaay bigger than they are. 

geeblock Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 4:55 PM
posted by majorspark

I believe its a separate human being so I vote my conscience in my state and leave it at that.  I also believe its not a federal issue unless they make it one.

That’s great but why should others have to live to your beliefs when it comes to their bodies? Sounds like you are imposing your beliefs on women. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 5:03 PM
posted by geeblock

That’s great but why should others have to live to your beliefs when it comes to their bodies? Sounds like you are imposing your beliefs on women. 

It's pretty simple, really.  People who believe life begins at conception are protecting the baby's right to life.  Nothing to do, at all, with "imposing their beliefs" on women.

Same logic as requiring father's to provide child support.  It's not about whether or not he wanted the baby or wants to support it, it's about what's doing the best for the child.

geeblock Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 5:11 PM
posted by gut

It's pretty simple, really.  People who believe life begins at conception are protecting the baby's right to life.  Nothing to do, at all, with "imposing their beliefs" on women.

Same logic as requiring father's to provide child support.  It's not about whether or not he wanted the baby or wants to support it, it's about what's doing the best for the child.

I understand that lol I just don’t think that a country that was founded on freedom, specifically religious freedom, intended for the state government to dictate private medical decisions. 

majorspark Senior Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 5:17 PM
posted by geeblock

You don't in this country there is freedom of movement.  Many women hold the same belief I do.  I believe that every person has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  Even those still confined in the womb.  I realize others hold different beliefs so I have no desire for federal involvement.  I believe our federal republic allows for these lines to be drawn as best they can at the lower levels of government.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login