Progressives, part 3...

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 6:55 PM
posted by geeblock

So as long as you agree with it then it’s ok but if it’s not important to you then the govt should stay out of it. 

One involves the terminating of a human life.  The other does not.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 6:56 PM
posted by iclfan2

That pesky right, reading the constitution and following only what they agree with. Bastards 

Fify
gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 7:24 PM
posted by kizer permanente
Fify

That's not accurate.  The "strict" or "constructionist" interpretation of the Constitution is usually ascribed to a "conservative" perspective, which is often wrongly equated with a right-wing view.  That is a non-federalist, limited role for the SCOTUS which everyone should favor for a non-elected body with unlimited terms.

As I mentioned, the Left rejects this because the Left relies on the SCOTUS to step in when the legislative process fails them.  The SCOTUS is the least representative body, in several respects, and the tail should not wag the dog.

Clearly we're doing a very poor job of teaching civics.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 7:32 PM
Fify

Feel free to show me where abortion is mentioned. I’ll wait. 

Fri, Jun 24, 2022 7:39 PM
posted by iclfan2

Feel free to show me where abortion is mentioned. I’ll wait. 

It doesn’t. That’s why he we depend on the SCOTUS to save us from mouth breathers 50 years ago,  trying to set us back in time.  Unfortunately we let the mouth breathers get a majority with fellow mouth breathers. 

gut Senior Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 7:42 PM

LOL, I just realized the irony of this decision is the Left suddenly cares deeply & passionately about folks living in fly-over land.

Fri, Jun 24, 2022 7:45 PM

It doesn’t. That’s why he we depend on the SCOTUS to save us from mouth breathers 50 years ago,  trying to set us back in time.  Unfortunately we let the mouth breathers get a majority with fellow mouth breathers. 

Lol k 

Fri, Jun 24, 2022 7:46 PM
posted by iclfan2

Lol k 

Yup  

Fri, Jun 24, 2022 7:51 PM
posted by gut

LOL, I just realized the irony of this decision is the Left suddenly cares deeply & passionately about folks living in fly-over land.

Maybe in your California bubble. Not most of “the left” . I know that’s hard for you to understand lol. 

gut Senior Member

I am very confident that every woman that really wants an abortion will still be able to get an abortion.  I really don't agree that it should be as convenient and easy as ordering from Amazon.

Shoot, their go-fund-me pages will probably raise $10k, and they'll opt to go to Hawaii instead of Illinois for the procedure.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009

If you depend on the SCOTUS you live by the sword and die by the sword.  Just look at their history.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 7:52 PM
posted by gut

LMFAO.  Yes, I know women who have had complications and also abortions for other reasons.  Get out of here with that high and mighty bullshit that people that disagree with you don't know any women who suffered with these decisions. 

It also has fuck all to do with the point that getting pregnant involves a choice (except in cases of rape).  And I'm being deliberately facetious when I say that - for a self-proclaimed moderate, you tend to take statements overly personal and overly literally.  Then usually follow with some pretentious response that indicates you think you're more worldly or enlightened than other posters on the board.

But, sure, if this is the sex education thread now, young women can miss multiple periods, and obviously might not start showing for 3+ months.  So you don't have to know women who didn't know they were pregnant after 6 weeks when you KNOW it happens to women sometimes even after 3 months.  Of course, "not knowing" has never been an accepted excuse when it comes to the law.  And, frankly, any sexually active woman who misses a period and chooses not to get a pregnancy test shouldn't be able to plead ignorance.

Look man. This just got very personal for me here. I've been exposed to the challenges and issues relating to this in my own family. My wife is now in a situation where we are unclear if she is pregnant, will she be able to safety carry to term. 

Under the new law here in Ohio that just went effect, if it is after 6 weeks, we will have to travel out of state.

My wife has also read the new potential language and involves doctors that may not or do not know her medical history to help her make the decision.  Mind you my story is not alone. 

And for people that say oh you can move. We made the choice to move back for family reasons and cannot just move out of state. 

Your view and others on here are just narrow and filled with your own assumptions of who gets abortions and why. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 7:54 PM

gut Senior Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 7:57 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Your view and others on here are just narrow and filled with your own assumptions of who gets abortions and why.

That's your opinion.  I understand everything about who gets abortions and why.  Stop pretending that people who disagree with you are ignorant.  No one on here, save maybe Spock or QO, has ever insinuated women only use abortion as emergency contraception.

I would suggest just maybe, perhaps, people's arguments are much more nuanced than you appear interested in understanding.

Fri, Jun 24, 2022 7:58 PM
posted by gut

I am very confident that every woman that really wants an abortion will still be able to get an abortion.  I really don't agree that it should be as convenient and easy as ordering from Amazon.

Shoot, their go-fund-me pages will probably raise $10k, and they'll opt to go to Hawaii instead of Illinois for the procedure.

You can’t possibly be confident that every woman who wants one would still be able to get one. If you are, you’re not living in reality. 

Fri, Jun 24, 2022 8:02 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Look man. This just got very personal for me here. I've been exposed to the challenges and issues relating to this in my own family. My wife is now in a situation where we are unclear if she is pregnant, will she be able to safety carry to term. 

Under the new law here in Ohio that just went effect, if it is after 6 weeks, we will have to travel out of state. Mind you my story is not alone. 

And for people that say oh you can move. We made the choice to move back for family reasons and cannot just move out of state. 

I completely understand your situation. If I’m wrong, then I’m wrong. But “abortion” doesn’t mean having to end a pregnancy if not viable or if it impacts the health of the wife. I am not an absolutist, there are definitely reasons where it needs to happen. I think the technical word needs defined. And I feel for your situation.

geeblock Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 8:10 PM

You can’t possibly be confident that every woman who wants one would still be able to get one. If you are, you’re not living in reality. 

I think most will still get abortions. Clinics will move to the border of states that have banned them, employers such as like dicks did today will announce money (4000$) for travel to get an abortion ect. Looking statistically places where abortions are banned have almost the same rate of abortions as places where they are legal. 

gut Senior Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 8:14 PM

Maybe in your California bubble. Not most of “the left” . I know that’s hard for you to understand lol.

And, yet, for all the crying nowhere in the US is a woman more than a 1-day drive from access to an abortion. That's an inconvenience, not denial of access.

As I've said several times in the past, I think it's a dumb law to vary by state.  But if that's a problem, then ask your Congress to take action.

Fri, Jun 24, 2022 8:15 PM
posted by geeblock

I think most will still get abortions. Clinics will move to the border of states that have banned them, employers such as like dicks did today will announce money (4000$) for travel to get an abortion ect. Looking statistically places where abortions are banned have almost the same rate of abortions as places where they are legal. 

You’re going to have states that you have multiple states to cross not just one.  and they also happen to be all of the poorest states. It’s just not reality man  

geeblock Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 8:16 PM

You’re going to have states that you have multiple states to cross not just one.  and they also happen to be all of the poorest states. It’s just not reality man  

The poor will suffer as usual, and things will be less safe that’s for sure 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login