Progressives, part 3...

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 8:17 PM
posted by gut

And, yet, for all the crying nowhere in the US is a woman more than a 1-day drive from access to an abortion. That's an inconvenience, not denial of access.

As I've said several times in the past, I think it's a dumb law to vary by state.  But if that's a problem, then ask your Congress to take action.

You act like the average person has access to get across town. Let alone one day DRIVE from their house. You do realize poor people exist right? 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 8:19 PM
posted by geeblock

employers such as like dicks did today will announce money (4000$) for travel to get an abortion ect.

Somewhat unrelated, I'm just curious how that would work.  I get how insurance might cover the medical costs no questions asked, but I wonder how someone is going to get reimbursed for the travel.  Asking them to go thru HR seems both insensitive and a violation of privacy.
geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 8:28 PM
posted by gut
Somewhat unrelated, I'm just curious how that would work.  I get how insurance might cover the medical costs no questions asked, but I wonder how someone is going to get reimbursed for the travel.  Asking them to go thru HR seems both insensitive and a violation of privacy.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 8:30 PM
posted by kizer permanente

You act like the average person has access to get across town. Let alone one day DRIVE from their house. You do realize poor people exist right?

The average person, absolutely.  Only the poorest of the poor don't have a car.  There are also these things called buses ($250 round trip from Baton Rouge to Chicago - cheaper than your gas costs even if you had a car), and something called Amtrak.  As I said, I don't have a problem if it's slightly less convenient and more expensive than ordering condoms from Amazon.

And, yes, I recognize the most economically disadvantaged may be negatively affected by this. I've said that before - people just make up what I think instead of paying attention to what I've actually posted.

I'm sure there will be charities and other means of getting the financial support they need to make this happen.

Fri, Jun 24, 2022 8:39 PM
posted by gut

The average person, absolutely.  Only the poorest of the poor don't have a car.  There are also these things called buses ($250 round trip from Baton Rouge to Chicago), and something called Amtrak.  As I said, I don't have a problem if it's slightly less convenient and more expensive than ordering condoms from Amazon.

And, yes, I recognize the most economically disadvantaged may be negatively affected by this. I've said that before - people just make up what I think instead of paying attention to what I've actually posted.

I'm sure there will be charities and other means of getting the financial support they need to make this happen.

Do you know exactly how many people are classified as “poorest of the poor” by you? How many people are living at and below poverty levels? How many people are on gov assistance. You make it sound like there’s a couple people in the city lol. 

geeblock Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 8:50 PM

There are a substantial number of people in inner cities who don’t have cars. Before people try all that you just mentioned they will more than likely try to do it themselves 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 10:05 PM
posted by geeblock

Unrelated a bit but every Dick’s Sporting Goods Store Manager I know is a female and has a wife or a girlfriend (including my sister and her ex wife) and two others I also know. I obviously don’t care about any of that but is telling of this generous stance they have taken.

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 10:06 PM
posted by geeblock

There are a substantial number of people in inner cities who don’t have cars. Before people try all that you just mentioned they will more than likely try to do it themselves 

I’m ignorant to much of this so I’m not trying to argue or be an ass but are those inner city types the ones wanting abortions? The lower incomes I’m used to have 4-6 kids.

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 10:07 PM
posted by geeblock

I’m ignorant to much of this so I’m not trying to argue or be an ass but are those inner city types the ones wanting abortions? The lower incomes I’m used to have 4-6 kids.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 10:28 PM
posted by Ironman92

Unrelated a bit but every Dick’s Sporting Goods Store Manager I know is a female and has a wife or a girlfriend (including my sister and her ex wife) and two others I also know. I obviously don’t care about any of that but is telling of this generous stance they have taken.

Sounds like Dick's got the buisness name wrong.

geeblock Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 10:33 PM

Tesla covering travel which is surp

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 10:51 PM
posted by majorspark

Sounds like Dick's got the buisness name wrong.

Yeah lol, evolved greatly

majorspark Senior Member
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 11:25 PM
posted by geeblock

Tesla covering travel which is surp

A lot of wealth and resources listed here to get those living in poverty to an abortion clinic.  Time will tell who is virtue signalling and who is read to pony up.   

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 24, 2022 11:32 PM

So what’s the point of a Sipreme Court?

Sat, Jun 25, 2022 12:51 AM
posted by Laley23

Additional tool for political power  

Sat, Jun 25, 2022 12:59 AM
posted by majorspark

A lot of wealth and resources listed here to get those living in poverty to an abortion clinic.  Time will tell who is virtue signalling and who is read to pony up.   

Do you find that a lot of people in poverty work at these places? 

majorspark Senior Member
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 1:08 AM
posted by Laley23

It is a co equal branch of the federal government.  Their roll is clearly spelled out in article 3 section 2.  The judicial branch having attained supremacy over constitutional matters is the issue.  Is it a good thing for five people to have veto power over anything?  Especially one that may take a generation to change.

I believe the original intent was these three branches would have equal authority over constitutional matters and peacefully battle each other.  When the legislative branch overrides a veto of the executive branch it takes super majority.

Anyways this folly got started when the founders were still rolling in there beds.

majorspark Senior Member
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 1:47 AM
posted by kizer permanente

Do you find that a lot of people in poverty work at these places? 

I am sure those that are would rather be paid a living wage than have their overlords pay to cart people off to the nearest abortion clinic.  Is this limited to their employees?  Surely some of these businesses give outside.  Are they going to pony up for this to the rando poverty stricken non employee that got pregnant and wants relief  from the consequences?

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 6:02 AM
posted by gut

Race is a federally protected class, as defined by federal law.

"As defined by" is important, because federal law has not defined sexual orientation as a protected class.  Some states have defined it as such, but that is only binding in that state (and has not faced a federal test, to my knowledge).  There may be some basis in common law for the SCOTUS to legalize gay marriage, but otherwise that is legislating from the bench because the statute they are interpreting does not define sexual orientation as a protected class.

What the SCOTUS is clearly signaling is that they will not be legislating from the bench.  The Dems would LOVE to use a liberal bench to circumvent the legislative process.  Don't like it, then win elections and change the laws the right way.

Pretty much comes down to this and the left is very butt hurt that their own playbook has been flipped on them after decades of using it. I don’t agree with using the SCOTUS to push legislation, but it is funny to see it turned on them.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 9:26 AM

Way I look at it is that prohibition didn't stop alcohol, the war on drugs was equally worthless and this won't stop abortions. Just gives the underground a chance to make bank.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login