Progressives, part 3...

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 10:58 AM
posted by Heretic

Way I look at it is that prohibition didn't stop alcohol, the war on drugs was equally worthless and this won't stop abortions. Just gives the underground a chance to make bank.

All of these wars definitely have a recurring theme.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 11:47 AM
posted by like_that

All of these wars definitely have a recurring theme.

What about all the Iraqis who hated us for our freedom?  We wiped those fuckers out.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 12:38 PM

If we’re being technical, this ruling wasn’t a war on anything. It simply said abortion is not a federal issue, so it’s up to the states to decide. Congress can still try to codify abortion rights, but we all know that isn’t happening. Anyone saying abortion is a constitutional right can feel free to show me where.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 1:02 PM
posted by iclfan2

If we’re being technical, this ruling wasn’t a war on anything. It simply said abortion is not a federal issue, so it’s up to the states to decide. Congress can still try to codify abortion rights, but we all know that isn’t happening. Anyone saying abortion is a constitutional right can feel free to show me where.

Yea the huge uproar at the federal level is just people either being stupid about facts or misinofrmed

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 1:12 PM
posted by Fletch

Yea the huge uproar at the federal level is just people either being stupid about facts or misinofrmed

It's kind of a mirror image of the proposed AR bans.  It wasn't going to make a difference [empty virtu signaling], and it really wasn't going to impact anyone still with plenty of semi-auto rifles to choose from.

And, yet, we get over-the-top, hyerbolic hysterical reactions when nothing really changes.  Except in this case it's a much more inconvenient and traumatic experience for women undergoing a deeply personal and emotional decision.

I applaud this decision simply because I prefer a SCOTUS that interprets, rather than makes, law.

But from a practical perspective, I oppose laws that accomplish nothing more than virtue signaling.  Now, the SCOTUS didn't make law here, but they undid law improperly made.  Congress would have, should have could have codified this...but that's probably not happening for a long time.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 1:15 PM

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 1:20 PM
posted by iclfan2

If we’re being technical, this ruling wasn’t a war on anything. It simply said abortion is not a federal issue, so it’s up to the states to decide. 

This is true.  To stick with the war analogy it's actually a surrender.  Full power over this issue has transferred from 9 people appointed for life to the peoples direct representatives within the republic.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 1:24 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Do you know exactly how many people are classified as “poorest of the poor” by you? How many people are living at and below poverty levels? How many people are on gov assistance. You make it sound like there’s a couple people in the city lol. 

Yes I do.  Do you have any idea how many cars are on the road in this country?   The vast majority of people in this country that need a car, have one.  Pro tip: The Poverty level is an arbitrarily defined one - there's no universal definition, it's what a country decides to call it.  The poverty level in the US for a single person is min. wage at about 20-25 hours per week.  So get a 2nd job if you need to pay for an abortion.

And if you want to be really technical, the vast majority of these pregnancies could be prevented with proper use of birth control.  In most cases, if women's insurance doesn't provide birth control or condoms, they qualify for programs that do.  And contraception combined with condoms is virtually 100% effective.

Most people can and do have the means to travel for an abortion.  It just means not getting that new Iphone, Xbox, or a lower tier of cable.  As I said, there are also charities that will provide assistance (or maybe all the money about to pour into Super PACs could be put to better direct use?).

In any event, the travel is not the bigger issue.  It's likely the state medicare programs won't cover the procedure now.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 1:53 PM
posted by geeblock

he has gone full retard

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 2:21 PM
posted by gut

For starters, I don't think believing life begins at conception is necessarily a religious view.

Second, private medical decisions are dictated all the time.  Assisted suicide is and has been illegal in the vast majority of the US. You can't have your kidney removed for the purpose of selling it.  There are waiting lists for organs.  There are disqualifications for being put on those lists, as well.  In almost every other case, a minor cannot consent to a medical procedure.

Considering 97% of PhD biologists believe life begins at conception I would agree, it’s not a religious argument to say life begins at conception, it’s a scientific one.

jmog Senior Member
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 2:23 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

No it is not.

It's a complicated issue that is not cut and dry as you think it is. 

Have you or others on here actually spoken to women that have had complications during a pregnancy? 

How many on here know women that have found out they were pregnant after six weeks? 

Nearly zero complications during pregnancy result in serious problems for the woman in modern medicine.

That argument would have held water 100 years ago. 

jmog Senior Member
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 2:27 PM
posted by gut

It's beyond pathetic that Congress is so broken that they've essentially abdicated their legislative duties to the Executive and Judicial branches.

Exactly, sorry Ds in Congress, you can not complain about this ruling.

You had 5 decades to codify abortion as law and didn’t get it done.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 2:54 PM
posted by gut

Yes I do.  Do you have any idea how many cars are on the road in this country?   The vast majority of people in this country that need a car, have one.  Pro tip: The Poverty level is an arbitrarily defined one - there's no universal definition, it's what a country decides to call it.  The poverty level in the US for a single person is min. wage at about 20-25 hours per week.  So get a 2nd job if you need to pay for an abortion.

And if you want to be really technical, the vast majority of these pregnancies could be prevented with proper use of birth control.  In most cases, if women's insurance doesn't provide birth control or condoms, they qualify for programs that do.  And contraception combined with condoms is virtually 100% effective.

Most people can and do have the means to travel for an abortion.  It just means not getting that new Iphone, Xbox, or a lower tier of cable.  As I said, there are also charities that will provide assistance (or maybe all the money about to pour into Super PACs could be put to better direct use?).

In any event, the travel is not the bigger issue.  It's likely the state medicare programs won't cover the procedure now.

Lol Gut  never failing to coming thru with his preconceived stereotypes  to make his argument.  

hEy gUyz… pOoR pEoPlE sHoUld uSE tHeIr hEAlTh InSuRaNce FoR bIrTh CoNtRol 

You have no idea how idiotic that sounds … that’s how we know how out of touch your are with reality.  Jfc  lol you think everyone just lives like you and your little bubble friends don’t you? 

geeblock Member
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 3:02 PM
posted by jmog

Nearly zero complications during pregnancy result in serious problems for the woman in modern medicine.

U can’t be serious 

Sat, Jun 25, 2022 3:03 PM
posted by jmog

Huh? 

Sat, Jun 25, 2022 3:03 PM
posted by geeblock

U can’t be serious 

Sadly, I think he is  

jmog Senior Member
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 3:52 PM
posted by geeblock

U can’t be serious 

Notice I said serious complications and nearly zero. 

Other than ectopic pregnancies women aren’t dying from being pregnant/child birth like in the past.

The myth that abortions are needed for the health of the mother to keep her from dying is a laughable misnomer of modern medicine.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 4:19 PM

And less than 2 days after mentioning that DSG is very pro  women…..my sister who runs the Lancaster store and her ex who runs the Easton DSG have both out in their 2 weeks notice as the corporation has hired a bunch of young guys out of college and they are turning into Bro ville lol.

Must be pretty bad because both have been there over 15 years and they make $135,000 and $105,000

As you were….just thought it was funny I never post on this thread and when I do it backfired immediately afterwards.

geeblock Member
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 4:19 PM
posted by jmog

Notice I said serious complications and nearly zero. 

Other than ectopic pregnancies women aren’t dying from being pregnant/child birth like in the past.

The myth that abortions are needed for the health of the mother to keep her from dying is a laughable misnomer of modern medicine.

Never go full retard 

geeblock Member
Sat, Jun 25, 2022 4:20 PM

Stats and data guy says “nearly zero” I’m crying 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login