Progressives, part 3...

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 15, 2019 10:52 AM
posted by like_that

https://twitter.com/reaganbattalion/status/1150462865587023872?s=21

For whatever reason, the Dems choose to ignore this.

I like how they spelled out "nine" to show that 9 wasn't a typo lol 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 15, 2019 1:18 PM
posted by like_that

Sure,  but perhaps not the federal Government, because we all know they would fuck that up.  Larry Sharpe had some good ideas on how to move NY (specifically NYC) to be privatized and run more efficiently.  

posted by gut

New 007.  Might as well go maximum wokeness and make her lesbian.  Make her transgender, too, and then we can still have James Bond.

From what I read she has the 007 code name and finds Bond to pull him out of retirement and take back 007.  If the ultimate plan is to transfer 007 from bond to this lady (or any other actor/actress that tries to appease the woke crowd), that will be a terrible idea and kill the franchise.  It might work for one movie, but it will wear off pretty quickly when the woke market, who has never had any interest in Bond, stops caring. Nobody is watching James Bond to get woke.  

Kind of brings back memories of how, with Die Another Day, they brought in Halle Berry to be the Bond Girl with the plan being to spin her off into her own series. Which they immediately ruined by having her portrayed as a fake-ass, corny-line-dealing cipher of a character in a film only noteworthy because of the bitchin' car duel between Bond and the main baddie's top henchman; basically immediately killing off the character as anything worth designing anything around.

The concept of completely changing a character that's been around for over 50 years simply to make it more "inclusive" is questionable. The thought they'd actually do a good job of it to make the new character feel organic and real, as opposed to a blank slate spewing out lines for the woke crowd, is a REAL long shot.

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 15, 2019 2:26 PM
posted by gut

New 007.  Might as well go maximum wokeness and make her lesbian.  Make her transgender, too, and then we can still have James Bond.

*shrug*

It's entertainment.  IDGAF anymore about this than I do the color of the Little Mermaid, though I do think it's obvious that they're trying to pander.  Pretty sure everyone can see that.

posted by like_that

Sure,  but perhaps not the federal Government, because we all know they would fuck that up.  Larry Sharpe had some good ideas on how to move NY (specifically NYC) to be privatized and run more efficiently.

Oh, I'm sure it would be an absolute dumpster fire.  But really, what are we expecting otherwise?

posted by like_that

Nobody is watching James Bond to get woke. 

Nope.  They're watching to be entertained by the consistent use of gun violence by the protagonists who has, for decades, treated women as sexual objects, which is what makes it hilarious that anyone is pushing for this.  Maybe she'll do the same with guys.  Or maybe she'll be gay, like gut said.  Who knows?

posted by CenterBHSFan

FFS, I can't even go to the damn farmer's market anymore!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/farmers-markets-have-new-unwelcome-guests-fascists

I'm not buying my damn beets from a fucking skinhead!

Sounds like a business opportunity.  Uber Eats should start delivering farmer's market produce.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Jul 15, 2019 2:44 PM
posted by O-Trap

*shrug*

It's entertainment.  IDGAF anymore about this than I do the color of the Little Mermaid, though I do think it's obvious that they're trying to pander.  Pretty sure everyone can see that.

This is generally my approach to these type of things and let the market decide.  The Bond franchise however, is my favorite lol, so I care more than I probably should.  I have been a huge fan since I was kid and have seen each movie at least 3-5 times.   It's just such an unncessary change (if they end up going all in with this route). 

fish82 Senior Member
4,402 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 15, 2019 2:53 PM

“Dry vodka martini. Shaken, not stirred. Gluten-free. Wait, maybe I want it stirred. I don’t know. What do you think?”

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 15, 2019 2:59 PM

The left attacks Scarlet Johannson for taking on a role of a LGTBQ person (I think the role is a transgender) because the role should go to a transgender...

The right (correctly) makes fun of them for being stupid.

The right gets upset that Ariel (a kids fictional character) is going to be black.

The left (correctly) makes fun of them. 

Both sides just don't realize how hypocritical they both are when it comes to the snowflakery (my new made up word).

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 15, 2019 3:11 PM
posted by jmog

The left attacks Scarlet Johannson for taking on a role of a LGTBQ person (I think the role is a transgender) because the role should go to a transgender...

The right (correctly) makes fun of them for being stupid.

The right gets upset that Ariel (a kids fictional character) is going to be black.

The left (correctly) makes fun of them. 

Both sides just don't realize how hypocritical they both are when it comes to the snowflakery (my new made up word).

No one actually was mad about Ariel being black. It was fake news. The people they were using as exampled of people made were twitter randos with 20 some followers. 

The funny part about the Scarlett Johanson thing is that it isn't even being made now. So they lost out on even having a transgender movie.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Jul 15, 2019 3:15 PM
posted by iclfan2

No one actually was mad about Ariel being black. It was fake news.

If I don't like it, it is fake.  

Mon, Jul 15, 2019 3:20 PM

I didn't even know there is a Little Mermaid controversy until I read this thread. 

Mon, Jul 15, 2019 3:25 PM
posted by like_that

This is generally my approach to these type of things and let the market decide.  The Bond franchise however, is my favorite lol, so I care more than I probably should.  I have been a huge fan since I was kid and have seen each movie at least 3-5 times.   It's just such an unncessary change (if they end up going all in with this route). 

I grew up loving them, too.  I have my favorites, of course, but even still, it's not going to take those originals away, you know?

To me, it's like Rocky V.  It's absolute shite, but it doesn't ruin Rocky I-IV.  I still enjoy them, and I just skip the trash.

posted by jmog

Oh, I'm using that.

posted by iclfan2

No one actually was mad about Ariel being black. It was fake news. The people they were using as exampled of people made were twitter randos with 20 some followers. 

The funny part about the Scarlett Johanson thing is that it isn't even being made now. So they lost out on even having a transgender movie.

I saw over a dozen acquaintances who were upset about it to varying degrees, under the reasoning that it should stay "true to the original."

Never knew how many people I was connected to who were such ardent, passionate fans of the Little Mermaid.  Also didn't realize that Disney's 1992(?) version of the story was apparently the very first.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 15, 2019 3:38 PM
posted by O-Trap

INever knew how many people I was connected to who were such ardent, passionate fans of the Little Mermaid.  Also didn't realize that Disney's 1992(?) version of the story was apparently the very first.

I can't wait until someone makes a Christmas movie with a black Santa Claus.  The conservative snowflakery will be epic!

Re-make Miracle on 34th street....1940's NY - imagine the wokeness possibilities!!!

Fab4Runner Tits McGee
6,997 posts 64 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 15, 2019 4:39 PM
posted by O-Trap

I grew up loving them, too.  I have my favorites, of course, but even still, it's not going to take those originals away, you know?

To me, it's like Rocky V.  It's absolute shite, but it doesn't ruin Rocky I-IV.  I still enjoy them, and I just skip the trash.

posted by jmog

Oh, I'm using that.

posted by iclfan2

I saw over a dozen acquaintances who were upset about it to varying degrees, under the reasoning that it should stay "true to the original."

Never knew how many people I was connected to who were such ardent, passionate fans of the Little Mermaid.  Also didn't realize that Disney's 1992(?) version of the story was apparently the very first.

Yeah, there were about 8 people with the same Little Mermaid complaint on my TL. It was definitely not fake news. 

Mon, Jul 15, 2019 4:46 PM
posted by gut

I can't wait until someone makes a Christmas movie with a black Santa Claus.  The conservative snowflakery will be epic!

Re-make Miracle on 34th street....1940's NY - imagine the wokeness possibilities!!!

I can't wait for the butthurt when that happens.  It'll be glorious to watch.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 15, 2019 11:11 PM
posted by gut

I can't wait until someone makes a Christmas movie with a black Santa Claus. 

Related image

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 16, 2019 1:16 PM

Here is a verified twitter account with 1M followers, leader in the BLM community, openly advocating for violence and praising the guy firebombing a detention center, yet all you hear is crickets. But the media will race to print some anecdotal article about some random nobodies disliking black Ariel. There is clearly a problem here.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/49531/blms-shaun-king-quietly-deletes-outrageous-tweets-amanda-prestigiacomo

Tue, Jul 16, 2019 1:26 PM
posted by iclfan2

Here is a verified twitter account with 1M followers, leader in the BLM community, openly advocating for violence and praising the guy firebombing a detention center, yet all you hear is crickets. But the media will race to print some anecdotal article about some random nobodies disliking black Ariel. There is clearly a problem here.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/49531/blms-shaun-king-quietly-deletes-outrageous-tweets-amanda-prestigiacomo

As QCB stated, this lack of reporting is a much bigger issue than "fake news."  The media will spend an entire one to three week news cycle on shit like Trump feeding players mcnuggets or a kid smirking in a MAGA hat.  Meanwhile, something like the ISIS compound training young kids in NM is hardly a blip on the radar. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 16, 2019 1:45 PM
posted by iclfan2

But the media will race to print some anecdotal article about some random nobodies disliking black Ariel. There is clearly a problem here.

I think a shift has been occurring over at least the past 20 years, obviously coinciding with the explosion of the internet.  And Trump may have been the tipping point for the last vestiges of traditional reporting.

Which is even most straight news people, and people who consider themselves journalists, no longer view their job as an arbiter of truth but advancing an agenda.  They are now advocates, and view their job to convince you of their position by any means necessary.  In the old days, that was called propaganda.  Problem is, few of these people have the education and experience to be an advocate.

It's not just the political stuff.  Reporting in general is crap across the board, and it doesn't matter if you're talking sports, medicine, etc.  LOL, if you aren't skeptical about any article on "amazing medical breakthroughs" then you haven't been paying attention.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 16, 2019 1:49 PM

I see geeblock deleted his post. Good call.

Tue, Jul 16, 2019 1:56 PM
posted by justincredible

I see geeblock deleted his post. Good call.

lol I am sure it was electric. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Tue, Jul 16, 2019 3:03 PM

I don’t have time for it today 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login